138 32184
Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

Now that I-

http://i438.photobucket.com/albums/qq105/strawpony/modlocks/ttly-1.png

-have your attention, there are some things you need to know:

First, we already know there is an exploit that allows you to bypass the site censor and write expletives and other things without having to alter them.

We also know how it is done. We also know how to fix it.

But in the meantime before it is fixed, please be aware that if any of your posts contain uncensored expletives in it, you are at risk of being banned because we consider that to be excessive swearing as stated in the rules of the site. And if it happens more than once, we might just get impatient enough to have you permanently banned.

So yeah, I thought it'd be fair if you guys were told, because it's happened more than once now.

We know that the filter isn't perfect either, so if you feel the urge to swear, why not filter yourself? We have to make some kind of judgement when deciding what course of action to take when we encounter expletives, so the safest option would naturally be not to use expletives.

Now, just one other matter: seeing tons of posts insulting people and swearing etc. by a single user is annoying. It annoys us too. But please don't assume we're letting anybody get away more than anybody else. If the rules have been broken we will deal with the user accordingly.

In some cases, the posts themselves may remain for some time as we keep them as evidence while we consult the administration to see if any further action is required. In these cases, as usual, the most useful course of action is NOT to complain that we aren't doing anything, but to report the offending post to us, so that we can compile them and present them as required.

That would be most helpful, thanks!

• 138 Replies
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

That's the only way it can be done, unless you have thousands of mods who constantly just sit there going through posts and censoring them when necessary. That would take a lot of effort from a lot of people, so I'm leaning far towards your theory.

We don't have the numbers of Newgrounds or the productivity level of TechRepublic (they get paid to moderate), so we manage like we always do--program
MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,746 posts
King

We don't have the numbers of Newgrounds or the productivity level of TechRepublic (they get paid to moderate), so we manage like we always do--program

Is that an alternate way of saying 'we need more moderators' then Freakenstein? =P

Because if it is... I actually have to agree with you on that!
Always better to have more people to clean up the mess made by the users!
TharosTheDragon
TharosTheDragon
202 posts
Farmer

That's the only way it can be done, unless you have thousands of mods who constantly just sit there going through posts and censoring them when necessary. That would take a lot of effort from a lot of people, so I'm leaning far towards your theory.

Um, no. Why would mods have to do it? Why can't the same code that searches your post for swear words when you post it search the page for swear words when you view it?

Newgrounds accomplished a similar feat on April Fool's day.
Gamer123e4
Gamer123e4
66 posts
Nomad

Is it Alt Keys?

LazyOne
LazyOne
166 posts
Nomad

no, it's writing the expletive down, and then removing one letter, and replacing it in italic.
But, i don't think this is a hard glitch to fix.

Evilginger
Evilginger
159 posts
Nomad

It censors any way.Look (**** you)

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

If so then that means it is fixed. And no, I don't want to test whether or not it is XD

But hey! Since this isn't a problem anymore, does that mean that this can no longer be stickied and put to rest?

Hotchurkey
Hotchurkey
8 posts
Nomad

I was just wondering, are we allowed to use something like **** or d*** (please don't ban me, I'm a good person), or will we get temp or even perma banned if we do that enough times?

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

Hmm lesse here...

Well Hotchurkey, excessive swearing is deemed "bad" in the T&Cs in AG. Occasionally is fine, since many people do this at different times without a care or without anyone giving a hoot. But that's why those swears were filtered by stars lol. It is when you bybass the censors in which the mods will get ticked and ban you.

Follow the "too much spice in a soup tastes horrible" principle, and you should be fine

wajor59
wajor59
909 posts
Nomad

Believe me the censorship is tight. There have been words and names that I've typed that were censored which made me laugh but I see the point of it and I try not to repeat past mistakes.
I do type the way I talk and sometimes words slip out. I usually err when I neglect to proof read what I've written.

SirLegendary
SirLegendary
16,585 posts
Duke

hmmmmm no wonder I have seen less swearing now. is it okay when we say "wtf?" or not. is it okay to type shi* or that can get us banned too?

sebika
sebika
9 posts
Shepherd

are we allowed to write banned words like this: "B.a.d w.o.r.d."?

codeblue286
codeblue286
6 posts
Nomad

I wouldn't think so...

Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

are we allowed to write banned words like this: "B.a.d w.o.r.d."?

That is also bypassing the censor and you will be banned for such action.
wajor59
wajor59
909 posts
Nomad

Whew. I've spent the past couple days hunting down the ad-bots that seem to be cloning themselves as I type. O_o

I agree with the OP when it comes to spamming with or without expletives, in the game comments.
When I was wanting to play some of our newest games I was coming across the ad-bots which led me to see just how much spam there is, of all types, too. Well, I've been having a two full "flag" days just on 4-5 games.
What I've been seeing is disturbing because not all spam is written by preteens and if it is then these preteens have been regular users of this web site long enough to know the rules.
Please, be careful and more considerate of others when posting.
Thank you.

Showing 91-105 of 138