ForumsWEPRDoes it really matter....

68 12896
Devoidless
Devoidless
3,678 posts
Jester

Does it really matter...if there really is a god?

Would you all decide to do horrible things and change your life drastically if there was solid proof that there was no god?

Would you all decide to become perfect people and change your life drastically if there was solid proof that there was a god?

My point is this: Should the existence of a god matter when it comes to how you live day-to-day? Would that much really change?
If there was a god, do you think that it would want you to change who you are just to please it?
And if there is no god would you really feel the need to throw caution to the wind and do as you please, knowing that there were no repercussions after you die?

Shouldn't we all, as intelligent beings, know what is right and wrong regardless of a higher power potentially watching over us?
Shouldn't we all, as intelligent beings, do what we know is right just because we can tell the difference?
Shouldn't we all, as intelligent beings, be beyond the point of caring about being watched and judged by an unseen being...and live out shorts lives as best as we can?

Does it really matter...if there was not really a god?

• 68 Replies
Devoidless
Devoidless
3,678 posts
Jester

Not all people in jail embrace a major religion to keep their hopes up.

A good deal of inmates are either godless, or follow religions where a major deity is not involved. For them, does your argument still apply?

But this discussion is not really about others and how they would act. Part of it is...but I really want to know how the individual would react given said circumstances. Then we can get into people as a whole.

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,678 posts
Jester

Just because there is a relgion does not mean that there good because of it. Nor does it mean that without religion, there would only be chaos and evil.

Even though it is not the same exact scenario, I was brought up with next to no religion. And I am still fine. I did not need some organization to guide me along the right path. Just by living and growing up I learned right from wrong.

subarublue89
subarublue89
323 posts
Nomad

Hey switchfoot and bullfroggy still on the topic eh?

Armed_Blade
Armed_Blade
1,492 posts
Shepherd

Because they have received a punishment they deserved, therefor, their faith is dwindled. God is said to be forgiving, but if you can't see his CHOSEN limits of being forgiving, then you're blind to see god as a well good thing. Many Jews in the Holocaust stayed Jewish till the end. I'm not gonna say all, but many of the survivors say that they're faith dwindled, but they stayed Jewish.

Your lucky, you know how many people learn right from wrong just by growing up? Not alot. For many, religion shows it down to them. Also, if I didn't believe in god why would I even think to heaven and hell. If I didn't believe in God, then, I could do horrible things. Without morals tought from God I could be someone with no respect for women, someone racist. May not be completely murderous, who knows? Still, I'd be sinnful.
Without religious, peace and order can't be maintained. Most non-religious areas don't have such a higher amount of peace. Usually ending up to be more populated areas, but even if you cut down the population from the crime, non-religious people are prone to be doing bad things. After all, who's it gonna hurt?

Meh, I think theres more to it than just the example of you growing up, its the fact that if it continues morals may be skipped and the world will become worse. And its already a stockpile of crap.

garifu
garifu
145 posts
Shepherd

Yeah, Switchfoot may have a point. Are we talking about there being no God from here on out, or there never being God ever?

I think it is a natural cultural practice to create and follow religion, so I doubt the first civilizations would have successfully formed without some spiritual and religious ideal. BUT, if you are saying that today we find out God doesn't exist, then that situation likely has a different outcome than a world in which no religion/deity was created...

subarublue89
subarublue89
323 posts
Nomad

I tell you what, if I was jewish, which I am not, and I survived the holocaust I would be thankful and that would have increased my faith.

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,678 posts
Jester

But this is totally going off subject.

Armed_Blade: Given the questions on my first post how would you react if the opposite of what you beleived was found, be beyond any doubt, to be true?

Armed_Blade
Armed_Blade
1,492 posts
Shepherd

Pff, my post was ignored

Also, another thing to add would be is that there must have been a god, natural cultural practice is one thing, but to create and follow religion with purpose but no reason would be saying we evolved [if we did] not from apes, but from idiots. And I find that hard to believe.

opentotruth
opentotruth
473 posts
Peasant

i think myself that god does not exist himself. I mean im not gunna try and force people to beilive in my way of thinking. But i mean the thought of god can give people solitude thinking that when they die its not over that their is something more out their for them. But if hes not that people would panic whats the point of doing this if their is not afterlife. Well even if i dont think thier is and even if im right i dont think people could handle the thought of it

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,678 posts
Jester

No, bad users!

We are -not- here to discuss whether or not a god exists. Every thing in this is hypothetical.

If the opposite of what you thought to be true was proven, how would you react? Or would it even matter? That is what I want to know.

subarublue89
subarublue89
323 posts
Nomad

Thinking a world without god makes my hurt mostly because it is hard to think about death. I mean if there was no god after you die would it just be blackness or what? To hard to think about.

Armed_Blade
Armed_Blade
1,492 posts
Shepherd

Well, God can influence and has many people to become better beings. Us, as intelligent as we are cannot differ right from wrong. Which is why we are only wise. Intelligence is learning, being wise gives you the rest. And many people lack that nowadays.

If the opposite was proven then humans wouldn't have a thing called faith, they couldn't hope, they couldn't believe farther into the future. Humanity would decrease to a bitter, endless, pain-ridden death world.

Also, I would keep my faith till the end. If SCIENTIFIC evidence found a way, I would like to see that way. And that way will never come, because of my faith.

Also, if somehow which I don't believe it was proven that God didn't exist, then, rather likely, since somehow we have straight up IN YOUR FACE i can touch it evidence, then obviously someone or anywould wouldn't think much on it anymore. Your eyes are influencial, I can say that.

But my faith cannot be alterered, and I know something like that'll ever come.

It would matter, though, people would quit all church services, a good lot of religious workers would lose jobs and to make matters worse we'd never have moralic principals again. Parents can't teach theyre kids the best, some kids learn, others don't. Those others ruin civilization, love, and prosperity. Stuff we try to keep alive for as long as possible.

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,678 posts
Jester

You are missing the point.

Okay, to make it clear: Suppose that there was rock hard proof that there was no god. Even the pope sees the evidence and agrees with it. What would you do then?

And do not say "Well, that will never happen." I know that much. Just suppose it does. All of this is hypothetical.

garifu
garifu
145 posts
Shepherd

Wait Devoidless, I am trying to clarify your original post...

Are you asking if, should each individual learn TODAY no God exists (having lived their life as they have up to this point), whether or not they would act differently, or are you asking if, the idea of God never having existed, would we still be who we are?

All people are a product of their history, environment, and the society around them, so it DOES matter what you are asking. You would have to explain what the world would be like if religion/God had never existed, and someone was told that at some point in their life. That scenario is a unique and difficult to imagine one, and maybe too complex for this forum...(to answer competently...)

Armed_Blade
Armed_Blade
1,492 posts
Shepherd

I can answer bluntly and thoughtfully to that. If there was rock hard evidence then the world will have problems, severe moralic problems and I wouldn't be surprised to see a few savages that drink beer roaming around.

BUT, Yes, I probably, even though it won't happen would thankfully cling on to the morals of my life and forever live in half-doubt and die a paranoid life.

It would hurt, thankfully, it wun happen. ^^

Showing 16-30 of 68