ForumsWEPR[redirected]If God created all things

1849 255922
DrCool1
DrCool1
210 posts
Bard

Here is something to get the brain going. It's been said that God created ALL things. Also it's been said that God is 100 precent pure/good. So God created man and it was said that because of man's sinful actions bad/evil things were created. But if God created ALL things then God created bad/evil things, not man. So by God creating bad/evil things this does not make him 100 precent pure/good.

• 1,849 Replies
Dubness2
Dubness2
389 posts
Nomad

I believe it. Thats how I know it. I was just stating my opinion. I believe in the Bible. You may or may not choose to.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

I believe it. Thats how I know it. I was just stating my opinion. I believe in the Bible. You may or may not choose to.

Believing something to be true doesn't make it true.
deserteagle
deserteagle
1,633 posts
Nomad

I believe it. Thats how I know it.

Believing and knowing are two completely different things. Example: I give you $20 to run down to the store and buy me a carton of eggs. I believe that you'll be faithful to me and buy the eggs. But I don't know whether or not you'll do it because I'm not there.
Flippen10000
Flippen10000
14 posts
Nomad

dream on,chandler

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,827 posts
Duke

If God was omnipotent then he could build a wall over which he can't jump. But if he can't jump over it then God isn't omnipotent. --> omnipotence paradox

These omnipotence paradoxes are not interesting in this kind of context. So, God can't perform logical contradictions ... big deal! We can't fault God for not being able to square a circle or make a bachelor a married man.
God not being able to perform paradoxes is not exactly something I would consider to be lacking in power. Sure, we can deduce some logical paradoxes from a concept like "all-powerful" but the practical implications of this don't amount to much.

If we really want some logical problems with the existence of God (at least a Western Christian God) we can talk about the identity problem. That seems to be about as close to disproving (a version of) God as any argument I've ever heard.
Parsat
Parsat
2,180 posts
Blacksmith

Thanks for directing the conversation into something that doesn't repeat a point we've heard a million times. What is the "identity problem"?

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,827 posts
Duke

What is the "identity problem"?

It has a name within the Philosophy of Religion. I just can't think of right now.

The basic idea is that the Judeo-Christian God creates a logical contradiction within that dogma. Here's the idea:
Within this particular faith, there is one God, but He has three distinct forms: God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit.
Each of these "forms" or whatever you want to call them are distinct from one another. And yet they somehow combine to form one God?
So, this dogma is trying to force a logical contradiction - one which contradicts laws of identity (which is why I called it the identity problem).
Basically, if A has some property that B does not have, then A =/= B. And if A =/= B then A and B are, by definition, distinct substances.
Well, if God the Father =/= God the Son (which is part of the tenets of Christianity) then they are two distinct substances. But that makes Christianity polytheistic (i.e., they worship more than 1 god).

I've heard some responses to this problem. Like H20 is one substance, but it has three forms: water, ice, and steam. But 1 water molecule cannot be in all three forms at once and still be identical with itself. That's precisely what a Christian God is trying to do, though. And that's not logically possible. So, bad God!
A5Master
A5Master
29 posts
Nomad

i agree

whyismynametom
whyismynametom
263 posts
Nomad

free will is not free will without evil and good choices, he didn't creat evil he just left it as an option.

whyismynametom
whyismynametom
263 posts
Nomad

Believing something to be true doesn't make it true.

well it doesn't matter according to our society the BIBLE is non fiction, meaning it is real, and factual according to the standards of humans, we go bye fiction and non fiction to see what books are real and what are not, and harypoter is fiction so that compassion is non logical
whyismynametom
whyismynametom
263 posts
Nomad

I've heard some responses to this problem. Like H20 is one substance, but it has three forms: water, ice, and steam. But 1 water molecule cannot be in all three forms at once and still be identical with itself. That's precisely what a Christian God is trying to do, though. And that's not logically possible. So, bad God!

sorry for three in a row but..
this is GOD, he does not follow natural laws of physics, nor does he follow logic, he creates it, so if he wants to be an impossible contradiction then he is, regardless of what the rules for humans are, he rights them, he made gravity according to the religion, meaning he also made the rules or laws of gravity, so he can bend, create, or disobey any rules of logi he wants to , bec. he is the all powerful god
deserteagle
deserteagle
1,633 posts
Nomad

the BIBLE is non fiction, meaning it is real, and factual according to the standards of humans,

other than the magic acts and historical inaccuracies right? There is no geological evidence of the flood, no one has found the Garden of Eden, no one can revive the dead, people can't manipulate water to walk it or part it, must I go on?

free will is not free will without evil and good choices, he didn't creat evil he just left it as an option.

Free will is having the power to make a choice. Good and evil are relative, not actually choices. What may seem good to you, is evil to others.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

The basic idea is that the Judeo-Christian God creates a logical contradiction within that dogma. Here's the idea:
Within this particular faith, there is one God, but He has three distinct forms: God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit.
Each of these "forms" or whatever you want to call them are distinct from one another. And yet they somehow combine to form one God?
So, this dogma is trying to force a logical contradiction - one which contradicts laws of identity (which is why I called it the identity problem).
Basically, if A has some property that B does not have, then A =/= B. And if A =/= B then A and B are, by definition, distinct substances.
Well, if God the Father =/= God the Son (which is part of the tenets of Christianity) then they are two distinct substances. But that makes Christianity polytheistic (i.e., they worship more than 1 god).

Interestingly enough the concept of the holy trinity while creating the contradiction you mention was created as a means to reconcile contradictions in the Bible when speaking of God.

well it doesn't matter according to our society the BIBLE is non fiction, meaning it is real, and factual according to the standards of humans, we go bye fiction and non fiction to see what books are real and what are not, and harypoter is fiction so that compassion is non logical

What makes it not a work of fiction? As deserteagle pointed out he does have plenty of fictional things in it.

this is GOD, he does not follow natural laws of physics, nor does he follow logic, he creates it, so if he wants to be an impossible contradiction then he is,

If God is to exists in this reality he would have to abide by it's laws. Seeing as God is suppose to interact with us then God would have exist in this reality to do it thus making him susceptible to our laws of physics.
cweb118
cweb118
77 posts
Nomad

There is no geological evidence of the flood,

Well, when lots of water goes over dirt, it makes mud, and when mud covers bones, skeletons and such, (after it dries) it makes....
Fossels! *gasp*

Dubness2
389 posts
Nomad

Believing if its true in my own mind makes it right for me correct?

Showing 181-195 of 1849