ForumsPopular MediaMy Problems with Avatar (spoilers)

80 39032
aknerd
aknerd
1,416 posts
Peasant

In my opinion, James Camaron's movie Avatar was an extremely dissapointing movie. If you just wanted some really cool special effects, then that's fine. Visually, it was a somewhat decent movie. In every other aspect, it was excruitatingly painful to watch. I will now rate the different aspects of avatar and give my reasons for doing so.

Creativity: 1/10.
This movie was essentially Pocahontas 3: Now with more Blue! This plot has been done so many times before: Braveheart, The Last Samurai, the Lorax, etc. Its okay to reuse a plot as long as you add something to it. Cameron, however, decided to just use a straightforward "outsider saves the natives" plot without adding any twists.

Logic/plot holes/science: -100/10. This is the biggest section, so I will break it up:
1) Why can't people breathe on Pandora? There is obviously ample oxygen, as evidenced by the flamethrowers. The atmosphere can't be poisoned either. All the soldiers use those impractical full face gas masks with the seal around the chin. But many soldiers also appeared to have beards. How do you get a seal through a beard? Everyone who had a beard should have been poisoned.
2) One of the first lines of the movie was "You're not in Kansas anymore." It was said by the commander guy to the new recruits on pandora. First of all, how cliche. Secondly, this movie is supposed to be set 150 years in the future, by which time the Wizard of Oz will be 200 years old. Are you telling me people will still get this reference?
3) Technology. Or rather, lack thereof. Why, oh why, did the humans need to attack the huge tree with helicopters? Are we supposed to believe that we have intergalctic travel but not, I don't know, NUKES FROM SPACE?? Bam, one push of a button, no more native "threat". Additionally, why couldn't the humans just tunnel under the tree? We have that ability now, so did we forget or something? Speaking of technology, whats with the humans' computers? Why are they still using keyboards and video logs instead of direct mind-computer interaction? Afterall, they had the technology to be able to scan Sully's brain and digitially transfer it into the avatar (matrix anyone?). Additionally, the human's interaction with technology would make a nice contrast to the native's interaction with nature.
3. At the end of the movie, the Colonel puts his gas mask on while still in the robot suit. Logically, the actions needed to put on the gas mask would have caused the robot to hit itself in the face (the colonel was still wearing the controller hands).
4. At the end of the movie, how did the Na'vi win? Its not like the humans are just going to back down. They "won" a battle, not the war. Again: nukes from space. And, as Sully said, they couldn't possibly win a fight outside of that protected area. Which also raises the question, why did the humans attack when the na'vi were hidden? Obviously they could just wait until they starved and had to come out. Or just use NUKES FROM SPACE.
5. How did Sully even become lost in the first place? Why wouldn't they implant a homing beacon under his skin?
6) Pandora is a moon. This means it orbits a planet as that planet orbits a star. This would mean that sometimes Pandora is close to the star (when it is between the planet and the star) and sometimes it is far away (when the planet is between it and the star). The slight tilt of the earth is responsible for the extreme temperature difference between summer and winter, often over 100 degrees difference at the poles. Can you imagine the difference on temperature between a pandora winter and summer? It would probably be over a thousand degrees difference. How can life evolve in that extreme of condidtions? Especially such advanced life.
7) The whole toruk thing. It took sully all of two minutes to capture this flying dragon thing. Are you telling me that no one in their entire civilization could think to attack it from above?
I have more, but that's all of that for now.

Significance: 1/10
This was supposed to be some sort commentary on the war in iraq (references to "Shock and Awe" prove that this was cameron's intention). This is nothing like Iraq. First of all, the na'vi had no need for unobtainium because they were better than that. But the Iraqis want oil just as much as the Americans do. they are just as willing to destroy their landscapes for some black gold as we are. And as far as environmentalism goes... Do we really need another Lorax movie? And it isn't like the movie gives any useful advice. Plugging my hair into a tree isn't going to stop global warming or save the rainforests.

Visuals: 7/10
This was far and away the best part of the movie. Their were several moments when I was just amazed at all of the pretty colors. But sometimes the 3D kind of failed. Like when the camera would go soft focus on something in the foreground. This looks good in 2D, but it 3D it is just awkward.
Wow, this is a long post. And to think I'm still leaving a lot out...

• 80 Replies
assassin89
assassin89
1,303 posts
Nomad

lol dont lock this post. when avatar gets best picture i wanna post a whole bunch of trol here

I dont think it will its too mainstream the acting wasnt perfect and their wasnt a lot of human emotion in it . Which a lot of oscar winning movies have in them e.g LOTR and the titanic. I know the titanic is by james cameron but its not an action movie its a romance and fans of action movies might not see it.
Channan
Channan
1 posts
Nomad

1) Maybe there's gasses (not necessarily poisonous) that humans can't breathe. Maybe there's oxygen, but too much CO2. Use your imagination.

2) The Wizard of OZ was made over 80 years ago, and we still get the reference. My 9 year old sister gets it. It was a classic. Why not people 150 years from now?

3) Like someone said, they weren't trying to kill the Na'Vi. They were trying to find a way to get the unobtanium without force, but resorted to it when they realized the Na'Vi were never going to move. And are you seriously arguing mind-computer? Try figuring out algebra or higher math in your head and let me know how that goes. People still need to work things out on paper (in this case on a computer), they need to see it, so mind-computer technology isn't always the best choice.

3) First of all, two number 3's? Second, I saw the movie 4 times. You missed that point twice. Once when the colonel asks Jake to report any information he gets to him. Second when he and Jake fight. There's a switch on the left hand. When you flip it on, the robot mimics your moves. Turn it off and the robot stays still.

4) They defeated most of the people. They killed the leader of the attack. That's how they won. And you missed another important detail. The Na'Vi were growing in numbers. The humans attacked out of fear. They feared the Na'Vi would grow to tens of thousands and outnumber them. And actually, they weren't going after the Na'Vi. They were headed for the Tree of Souls to destroy it, which they thought would crush the Na'Vi so much, they'd never bother the humans again.

5) While that seems logical, they didn't, and after he was lost, it was too late.

6) You're looking way too far into the very minor details. Okay, let's just pretend it's a planet. Happy?

7) It has to choose you. Seems you're paying attention to the very minor details that don't really matter and missing the important ones.

Neytiri: "Now you must choose your Ikran. For this, you must feel inside. If he also chooses you, move quick like I showed you. You will have one chance Jake."

Jake: "How will I know if he chooses me?"

Neytiri: "He will try to kill you."

Jake: "Outstanding."

Remember Toruk attacking Jake while he and Neytiri were flying on the Ikran? Toruk chose him.

Can't really blame you for missing some of the details though. It was a really long movie. Besides, I had an advantage by seeing it 4 times.

FireflyIV
FireflyIV
3,224 posts
Nomad

Creativity: 1/10.This movie was essentially Pocahontas 3: Now with more Blue!

I surprised at how ridiculously similar they are.

I'm fine with the whole 'white man rescues natives' thing. It can, and has worked well in lots of films (see Dances with Wolves). But for me it was the one dimensionality of the whole thing. The plot and the characters. There was no real choice for Jake Sully to make. It was far too one sided in favour of the Na'vi, so in the end there was no real drama or suspense. What would have made it a much better film would have been if the humans weren't on Pandora merely for the $$, but if they needed the minerals to save a resource depleted Earth and mankind from extinction. Then it would be a real choice between the two species. The line the colonel says at the end 'how does it feel to betray your race' almost made me laugh', because of the lack of redeeming characteristics of the humans.

Another thing I hated about it was the battle scene at the end. Sully knows human combat tactics and what assets they have, so why on earth did he green light a massed cavalry charge against machine guns and mechs with high calibre rifles? Surely it would have made much more sense for a few archers to pick them off from a distance and occupy the enemy, whilst the cavalry flanked them, not just charge in WW1 style?

In fact, why not pre emptively strike the human base in the first place, instead of giving them time and space to prepare such a massive invasion force?

In short, even for an action film, it was pretty illogical. Although I did thoroughly enjoy the 3d and the special effects, so perhaps I'm thinking too hard about this.
Bronze
Bronze
2,417 posts
Shepherd

What would have made it a much better film would have been if the humans weren't on Pandora merely for the $$, but if they needed the minerals to save a resource depleted Earth and mankind from extinction.

I'm sorry firefly but I guess you missed some critical back story because indeed, the Earth was a dying world.
FireflyIV
FireflyIV
3,224 posts
Nomad

I'm sorry firefly but I guess you missed some critical back story because indeed, the Earth was a dying world.

But noweher did it say that the minerals they were looking to mine would actually save the earth and mankind. They were just there for the money, remember the 'this rock sells for $20m per kg' line? They weren't there to save humanity.
Bronze
Bronze
2,417 posts
Shepherd

After doing some research here is a quote from the Avatar wiki,

"Without Unobtanium, interstellar commerce on this scale would not be possible. Unobtanium is not only the key to Earthâs energy needs in the 22nd century, but it is the enabler of interstellar travel and the establishment of a truly spacefaring civilization. Making a feed back loop, the more Unobtanium is mined, the more ships can be built, and more mining equipment can be sent to Pandora ."

Graham
Graham
8,052 posts
Nomad

haha, never really noticed the gas mask flaw in robot suit and the explosions on a poisonous planet.

that explosion rant part reminded me of star wars's explosions in space. :P

aknerd
aknerd
1,416 posts
Peasant

WHERE did it ever say anything about iraq in the movie

Cameron himself said that Avatar was partly a commentary about the was in Iraq. The fact that you didn't pick up on this proves that Cameron failed to make this point clear.
Artivle found here.

The Wizard of OZ was made over 80 years ago, and we still get the reference. My 9 year old sister gets it. It was a classic. Why not people 150 years from now?

Young men want to be faithful, and are not; old men want to be faithless, and cannot.
Enough said.

"Without Unobtanium, interstellar commerce on this scale would not be possible. Unobtanium is not only the key to Earth's energy needs in the 22nd century, but it is the enabler of interstellar travel and the establishment of a truly spacefaring civilization. Making a feed back loop, the more Unobtanium is mined, the more ships can be built, and more mining equipment can be sent to Pandora ."

This only makes sense if there was also (originally) a significant quantity of Unobtanium on Earth. Otherwise, how did they get to Pandora in the first place?

$20m per kg' line

Probably more like a $1.50 after you adjust for inflation (exaggeration! Please don't cite predictions for future inflation, I don't care).
thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

Yes, I do realive how widespread it is. Thats why I specifically mentioned movies that follow the same plot. And, at any rate, he didn't use his unique perspective to defeat the humans. The only thing that managed to do significant damage was the stampede that he called by praying to the Na'vi's god. So, actually it was their "tribal and religous" nature that enabled them to win, not Sully's independent spirit. So, again, why was it Sully who had to make the prayer? The toruk thing makes even less sense. After all, the toruk is part of the na'vi world, not the human. So unlike in The Last Samurai where they needed help fighting a foreign force, the na'vi needed help doing something that is part of their culture.

Well, the attack that destroyed the entire enemy air fleet wouldn't have happened without Sully, so obviously his new tactical military perspective did a whole lot more than cause a stampede. Also, he didn't have to make the prayer, he was just the one who did. And the na'vi were taught to stay away from toruk - Sully, being less ingrained with the Na'Vi, didn't grow up with that fear instilled in him and was more willing to try to do what the na'vi knew would probably kill them. He used his charisma and his experience as both a military man and a human to be a leader figure and tactical general of the na'vi and it led them to victory over the humans.

This only makes sense if there was also (originally) a significant quantity of Unobtanium on Earth. Otherwise, how did they get to Pandora in the first place?

It's quite possible they have just a little bit, and are quickly running out and need much, much more. I don't see the problem here.
aknerd
aknerd
1,416 posts
Peasant

Alt, good point about the turok thing. I would also add (arguing against myself now but whatever) that the na'vi didn't really need to tame turok. Their own min-dragon things worked perfectly well for hunting, and toruk might not have been nimble enough to be effective. Afterall, Sully was able to escape from Toruk by flying into the forest. Toruk is only advantageous during war, which the na'vi didn't seem to have too much of. On the other hand, it is ridiculous that human charisma would have such a profound effect on an aliens. But in Cameron's world it does, so I can't really argue about it.

It's quite possible they have just a little bit, and are quickly running out and need much, much more. I don't see the problem here.

In this case, you run into the "nutmeg problem." Just bear with me, it will all make sense at the end.
You see, imperial England had a problem. They had all of these recipes for eggnog, but no nutmeg. The Dutch, on the other hand, had access to the isle of Run (pronounced rune), which was the only place that nutmeg trees grew. The Dutch didn't harvest very much of the nutmeg because they wanted to keep the prices high- higher than the English could afford. The Dutch were also the only ones who knew where Run was. The English, desperately craving eggnog, bribed a Dutchman to get the location of Run. They quickly sailed there and killed all of the Dutch, claiming the island for their own. Soon, everyone in England was enjoying eggnog.
Do you see the problem with this story? Why would the English create a recipe that had an ingredient they couldn't afford? Why would the humans create a spaceship that ran on materials they didn't have in large quantities? BTW, that nutmeg story is true except for the eggnog part. Also, the english traded the isle of Run (after taking a few nutmeg trees, of course) for another Dutch island- Manhattan. That doesn't pertain to avatar, but its still pretty interesting.
justgotpwned
justgotpwned
1,166 posts
Peasant

i mean its a movie do you have to get that into it i thought it was good.

deserteagle
deserteagle
1,633 posts
Nomad

Avatar... cats meet the Blue Man Group.

What I don't get is that bullet-proof glass doesn't stop arrows and bullets. That fight sence bugged me.

FireflyIV
FireflyIV
3,224 posts
Nomad

After doing some research here is a quote from the Avatar wiki,

Either way they didn't make that clear in the movie. If you have to rely on the wiki page of a film to explain the plot, it wasn't very well written.
thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

Alt, good point about the turok thing. I would also add (arguing against myself now but whatever) that the na'vi didn't really need to tame turok. Their own min-dragon things worked perfectly well for hunting, and toruk might not have been nimble enough to be effective. Afterall, Sully was able to escape from Toruk by flying into the forest. Toruk is only advantageous during war, which the na'vi didn't seem to have too much of. On the other hand, it is ridiculous that human charisma would have such a profound effect on an aliens. But in Cameron's world it does, so I can't really argue about it.

Well, judging how humanlike the na'vi were, it wouldn't too long of a shot.

In this case, you run into the "nutmeg problem." Just bear with me, it will all make sense at the end.

Do you see the problem with this story? Why would the English create a recipe that had an ingredient they couldn't afford? Why would the humans create a spaceship that ran on materials they didn't have in large quantities? BTW, that nutmeg story is true except for the eggnog part. Also, the english traded the isle of Run (after taking a few nutmeg trees, of course) for another Dutch island- Manhattan. That doesn't pertain to avatar, but its still pretty interesting.

The problem with that is that both the English and the humans had, or at least formerly had, some nutmeg/unobtanium. They wanted(or in the case of the humans, needed) more, so they went to take it with what little supplies they had. Of course, the English didn't need to use up what little nutmeg they had to travel to Run - the humans needed to make a huge gamble and were desperate for the survival of their race. So really, I don't see the problem there.
aknerd
aknerd
1,416 posts
Peasant

Why did the humans need unobtainium in the first place? By your logic, the only reason the humans bothered mining unobtainium and building spaceships that ran on it was so that they could (hopefully) find more unobtainium before their own supplies ran out. I realize they were traveling from a dying world without any plant life, but its not like they were colonizing or bringing back plants from pandora. They movie makes it seem as if they were only going to pandora for the unobtainium, which they only needed so they could get more unobtainium. This is, of course, assuming that unobtainium is only good for space travel. But seeing as we aren't given any evidence (if you have some, please share) that points to the contrary, it's the best assumption. Additionally, if unobtainium wasessential to human survival, then wouldn't they be justified in their assault of Pandora? In this case, the na'vi would actually be denying the humans something they desperatly needed. Its not like they were using unobtainium or had any plans to.

Showing 16-30 of 80