Forums

ForumsThe Tavern

Sarcasm?

Posted Feb 26, '10 at 9:59pm

aknerd

aknerd

1,276 posts

I have a confession to make... I don't understand sarcasm. I never have. I literally cannot tell if someone is being serious or if they are joking.
It has been very dificult growing up without the ability to comprehend sarcastic comments. I remember when I was ten or eleven, a girl told me my bowl cut was really cool. So I kept the haircut. Recently, the same girl informed me that she was "only kidding," and that the haircut made me "look like a hairy mushroom". Why would she try to decieve me like that? Why wouldn't she just say what she meant?
I know she wasn't a bad person. Afterall, she did give me some nice hair advice. I'm now sporting a mullet, which she tells me is much cooler than a Bowlcut. I just don't get why she wouldn't tell me this initially, instead of waiting all of these years.

Posted Feb 26, '10 at 10:04pm

XVERB

XVERB

2,467 posts

well its worse on the internet.  i can understand sarcasm but its hard when you don't know their tone of voice.

Posted Feb 26, '10 at 10:08pm

leo99rules

leo99rules

1,756 posts

There is this thing where people do that i think it's um.... hamburger syndrome...no no asburger syndrome something like that.

Oh and sarcasm is used to insult people when they are totally wrong or..just to insult people. It's normally used when you ask a stupid question. For example

You: So your names jack?

jack: nah its lilly [sarcastic/]

Mostly stupid people do it.

Posted Feb 26, '10 at 10:30pm

firetail_madness

firetail_madness

19,843 posts

You can't understand sarcasm over the internet unless it's put right in front of you in a direct, clear manner.

In real life, it's easy to tell if there's a change in the tone of their voice, or if it's just out of the world, otherwise, I also have a tough time understanding...

Posted Feb 26, '10 at 11:12pm

XVERB

XVERB

2,467 posts

In real life, it's easy to tell if there's a change in the tone of their voice,

knerd can obviously not catch that when someone is talking to him

Posted Feb 26, '10 at 11:14pm

1,770 posts

I have a confession to make... I don't understand sarcasm. I never have. I literally cannot tell if someone is being serious or if they are joking.

No way, really? (sarcastic) No offence, but you've made that very clear in your past forum posts.

Posted Feb 26, '10 at 11:31pm

Google567

Google567

3,678 posts

Made what very clear?
That he uses it?

Posted Feb 26, '10 at 11:34pm

1,770 posts

Made what very clear?
That he uses it?

no that he doesn't understand sarcasm.

Posted Feb 26, '10 at 11:58pm

Joshman1444

Joshman1444

104 posts

I LOVE SARCASM!
Ill be perfectly honest.I could be perfectly defined as a Jack$&*.
So sarcasm comes in handy very often.

Posted Feb 27, '10 at 12:08am

firetail_madness

firetail_madness

19,843 posts

knerd can obviously not catch that when someone is talking to him

Maybe they don't change their tone of voice with him.

I have a very sarcastic teacher...

Reply to Sarcasm?

You must be logged in to post a reply!