ForumsWEPRDisproving god

352 61530
skater_kid_who_pwns
skater_kid_who_pwns
4,376 posts
Blacksmith

So I just have a question to every one. What is the point in proving god to not exist? What makes it worth while to sit and flip out on people, the goverment, schools, kids, parents.....that they are wrong, and science is wrong?

I understand having an oppinion, and trying to get others to beilve that. But Have any of you heard of Pascals wager?

What he said was basically, if you belive in god, and he is real, you lived a good live, and if you belive in god, and he's not real, you lost nothing, but lived a life of good morals, which I will touch on in a second. However, If he is real, and you didn't beilve you go to hell. And if you didn't beilve and he isn't real, then you lost nothing, other then being remembered as a person who didn't care about morals.

I would like you to go read the ten commandments, and the other moral wrongs in the bible. How are ANY of them bad?

All I'm really trying to gather here, is what is the point in tryign to prove god as fake? Why does it matter if you beilve in god? And what do you lose by beilveing in him?

• 352 Replies
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

fictional characters are real on television. If they weren't real, you wouldn't see them

I think your fudging the definition of real here. A character on tv isn't a living breathing person, it's just a product of someone's imagination. Saying the character is real implies that character is a living breathing person independent of another's mind.
So in the sense of, is the character on tv a real living breathing person and not the product of someone else's imagination i.e. is that character real? Then of course they aren't real.

I think this video covers the issue well.
What Exists?
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

fictional characters are real on television. If they weren't real, you wouldn't see them

Rofl.. god is also real in the bible and in people's thoughts. God is a phenomenon in human psyche. It's as real as a fictional book character, and therefore exposed to people's liking or disproving. Therefore your point is nil.
MRWalker82
MRWalker82
4,005 posts
Shepherd

Here's my take on it. If you look at why you believe in your particular deity and seriously reflect on whether or not these 'experiences' would lead you to the conclusion that your deity is real if you had never previously been exposed to the concept of said deity then you can legitimately say that experience is evidentiary of that deity.

However review of these experiences shows that they, and their corresponding significance, were ideas placed in your mind prior to their occurrence.

By this reasoning we can conclude that there is no evidence for said deity which exists outside of a preconditioned response and therefor is not an objective reality. This is why the major religions all cite the same things as evidence of their faith. They have been conditioned to believe that certain feelings are proof of an idea which they have taught to perceive as real.

This is most clearly indicated by the fact that religion is primarily 'assed down' by familial and cultural indoctrination and why religions are dominate in particular geographic areas.

For example, a child that grows up in a Christian household doesn't hear testimonies, read the Bible, and pray and come to the conclusion that Shiva is watching over and protecting him. This is because the concept of Shiva filling the roles attributed to Yahweh have not been taught to this child.

greg_greg
greg_greg
440 posts
Peasant

if people actually wrote stuff down and dated their work waaaay back when.. it would make these debates alot more interesting... i think avone is the only person of intrest here. and has anyone bothered to stop worrying about if God exists or not, and just think, hey, lets do good for the sake of doing good, and forgetting about religions?

MRWalker82
MRWalker82
4,005 posts
Shepherd

if people actually wrote stuff down and dated their work waaaay back when.. it would make these debates alot more interesting...

And what kind of dates where you looking for? Such as the books of the Bible? We have some very accurate dates for when most of these were written, as well as dates for when the Qur'an was written as well.

and has anyone bothered to stop worrying about if God exists or not, and just think, hey, lets do good for the sake of doing good, and forgetting about religions?

Yeah, that's what most atheists do actually.
greg_greg
greg_greg
440 posts
Peasant

i mean, for example

Romans August 13th, 2AD

love is......

you know what i mean? lol

MRWalker82
MRWalker82
4,005 posts
Shepherd

Yeah, I know what you mean.

Book of Romans was written circa 57 BCE.

The Gospels of Christ were written between 55-90 BCE. (over a quarter century, at the earliest, after the time Jesus was purported to have died.)

Any others you are interested in?

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

and has anyone bothered to stop worrying about if God exists or not, and just think, hey, lets do good for the sake of doing good, and forgetting about religions?

Yeah, atheists do that such as the case of this charity being held by DPRJones

http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org/

And this is being done with no God required.
Pr0j3cTxViRuS
Pr0j3cTxViRuS
12 posts
Nomad

As an atheist, I don't speak to people about my beliefs/their beliefs/or the existence of their God or the validity of their beliefs unless directly asked. Some atheists are complete dickholes and like to freak out on people like you mentioned, but most do not.

Nice generalization.

Voyageur
Voyageur
79 posts
Nomad

Some people are just pricks. There's no reason to disprove God, or any other god. Religion, and faith only bring good to the world.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

There's no reason to disprove God, or any other god.

Why not? It's an interesting topic, and if all who debate here, be they theist or atheist, are openminded enough, the debate is also interesting.

Religion, and faith only bring good to the world.

Haha, good joke. Really, that's a good one
AnaLoGMunKy
AnaLoGMunKy
1,574 posts
Blacksmith

Some people are just pricks. There's no reason to disprove God, or any other god. Religion, and faith only bring good to the world.

Im guessing you are young? Cos if not, you are very closed minded. Talking about pricks... did you ever stop and look into the evil religion has brought into the world?
Fluid
Fluid
58 posts
Farmer

Why disprove god, you say? Why try to convince anyone to change their opinion to match your own?

I call it the zombie effect.

A human attacked by a zombie clearly sees nothing but violence and hate. But, what if the zombie feels great about being who he is and wants the poor humans experience the greatness of zombification, so he forcefully tries to convert them thinking they'll feel better once the transition is complete?

The point is when we take a stand, we believe that the stand is right, and that we are better people for having that stand. When we see people in an opposite stand, we try to bring them on our, "better" side. As much as religious people deem atheists as immoral and disrespectful, so do atheists deem religious people as narrow-minded and blind. Both parties feel bad about the other ones, and they try to help them through means of (dis)proving.

I believe in the freedom of opinions. We agree to disagree. However, when that opinion becomes a base for an action I find greatly wrong (for example, using religion to justify war), I will try to prove it wrong. It just depends on one's personal definition of "greatly wrong" as when he'll try to make his stand or not.

AnaLoGMunKy
AnaLoGMunKy
1,574 posts
Blacksmith

I call it the zombie effect.

Braaiinnnzzzz!!!!!
BlackVortex
BlackVortex
1,360 posts
Nomad

The point is when we take a stand, we believe that the stand is right, and that we are better people for having that stand. When we see people in an opposite stand, we try to bring them on our, "better" side. As much as religious people deem atheists as immoral and disrespectful, so do atheists deem religious people as narrow-minded and blind. Both parties feel bad about the other ones, and they try to help them through means of (dis)proving.

That makes so much sense, never thought about it like that before...
Showing 121-135 of 352