ForumsWEPRTibet

31 7197
drainslug
drainslug
48 posts
Nomad

What are peoples views on the attacks on monks in tibet, and do you think the 2012 olympics should go on? The Dhali Lama said they should, But what do you think?

• 31 Replies
repsca
repsca
13 posts
Nomad

The olympics should go on sports and politics shouldn't mix like that.
I dont see it being a smooth games at all it will be used as a platform not only about Tibet but probaly about Taiwan as well, one can only hope that people sit up and realise what is going on

DecadentDragon
DecadentDragon
242 posts
Nomad

The only person who loses during a boycott is the athlete who didn't get to compete.

Calm
Calm
908 posts
Herald

They should go on, in my opinion, simply because you can't mix sports and politics.

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,827 posts
Duke

While I certainly don't think that the games should be cancelled, I think the protests are an important political maneuver by Tibetan freedom activists. It certainly brings this often overlooked issue to the forefront of the world's stage and I hope it can have an effect in pressuring the Chinese government to back off of Tibet some.
While I'm not really sure these protests will have a lasting effect on Chinese policy, boycotting the Olympics certainly won't - and as Dragon mentioned the only people who suffer as a result of boycotts are the athletes themselves, and this is the fundamental principle of the Olympics.

alec371
alec371
119 posts
Nomad

I say go protesters what China is doing is wrong and if protsting gets people's atenshion then i say "FREE TIBET!!!!!!!!!!"

SerbWarrior
SerbWarrior
38 posts
Nomad

Ok do you actually think that someone will free Tibet?
LOL!
There is no way that the Chines govermant will alow you...
The shirt you wearing-China
The computer you own-China
The TV you watch-China
The robots you look at in amazement-China and Japan
All of this is a point to show you that the Chines are becoming GIANTS!
And i for one salute them!
Dont free Tibet,free the world of US genocide!

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,827 posts
Duke

Economic dominance is one part of the equation, but so is the rest of the world. Export requires countries that will import goods and thus a reliance and trust that countries like the U.S. won't impose trade sanctions or embargoes - not that I think they would, but I'm just making the point that Chinese export rates don't get to define foreign policy in such a direct way.
And what on earth do you mean by "US genocide?"

SerbWarrior
SerbWarrior
38 posts
Nomad

Hahahah...
The media is a bitch right...
Or were you ,,lied'' to...?
Ok the Indians 1800-present day!,
The Philippine-American war-1898-1901
Second World war!
Bombing of Hiroshima (6 august) and Nagasaki (8 august)!They killed 250.000 people before 1945 and who knows how much civilians died from radiation?
North Korea 1953!
Vietnam 1959-1975 bombing cities sometimes week long bombings killing civilians and viet kong alike!
May Lai massacre in 1968 US forces killed over 500 unarmed people including man women and children!
Operation Desert Storm
Afghanistan!
1999 NATO bombing of Serbia,USA had great involvement!
Many civilian targets were struck one of the critical was RTS1 a TV station!
Many electric producing buildings...
Hospitals,Residential areas etc.
All for one man Milosevic...
Thay killed so many people for one man?
Yes sure i might believe that if i was a retard!
Operation ,,Iraqi'' ,,freedom'' 2003-present day!
...yea right...
IRAQ WAR!
Bombed Baghdad civilian targets as well!
Again all for Saddam?
Yea just keep living in fairy land...
And you did not know this...
there are many,many,many war crimes of USA that i did not look up,this was just a part!

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,827 posts
Duke

Oh, I see. Well, calling those events "genocide" is just taking a political spin in the opposite direction. Here is the international definition for genocide:

The international legal definition of the crime of genocide is found in Articles II and III of the 1948 Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of Genocide.

Article II describes two elements of the crime of genocide:

1) the mental element, meaning the "intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnical, racial or religious group, as such", and

2) the physical element which includes five acts described in sections a, b, c, d and e. A crime must include both elements to be called "genocide."

Here are the 5 elements:
(a) Killing members of the group;

(b) Causing serious bodily or mental harm to members of the group;

(c) Deliberately inflicting on the group conditions of life calculated to bring about its physical destruction in whole or in part;

(d) Imposing measures intended to prevent births within the group;

(e) Forcibly transferring children of the group to another group.

While the U.S. has certainly committed its fair share of atrocities, especially against Native Americans, to call this genocide is completely inaccurate.
I might entertain the notion of genocide against Native Americans, but only very briefly. We're talking about the willful and premeditated destruction of a certain people, but the U.S. government has never sought to destroy a certain peoples.

I don't live in "fairy land" as you suggest, but I also don't live in "conspiracy land" either. You can disagree with U.S. foreign policy, but to call it "genocide" just makes your argument totally fallacious. It seems like you either don't understand the definition of genocide, or you are simply listing other people's arguments who themselves don't understand what genocide is.

garifu
garifu
145 posts
Shepherd

Bosnians are the victims of Serbian Genocide. But who cares; if the US didn't do it, it doesn't matter, right?

garifu
garifu
145 posts
Shepherd

On the topic of Tibet, I agree that athletes shouldn't suffer due to political maneuvering, but we boycotted the Berlin games during World War II, so there IS a precedent for this kind of reaction...

Tibet deserves as much attention as any persecuted ethnic group or cultural faction. So as long as we don't go to the Olympic games and ignore their plight, we won't be mistreating them. What we ought to do is continue to express our disfavor with the Chinese government, and request a change in policy; I don't think this warrants any further meddling from the US though, we already have too much on our plate as it is. The UN ought to pick up the slack

Armed_Blade
Armed_Blade
1,492 posts
Shepherd

The worlds in the crappiest condition right now, so a new country or whatever is wanted can't happen.

If Tibet wants to kill the Athletes, I shall lay ruin to them, They will not kill peoples dreams. [Sad smily face] xP After all, Most people die just to go in the Olympics, its a world event, killing it just because a few old men wanting something is stupid. Expeccially for the fact they can wait a Year, polotics won't die, even if the human race will die out. Soon, Apes will be voting for George B. Bush, George Bunny Bush. And the newest legislature of power and representative democracy will come to power.

Therefor, Halt the Olymics and I will eat all protesters. xP

Also, China doesn't want to lose any land. A small bit of land can cost thousands of factorys. Since... well, its China. Thats why Taiwan is still thinking their independent, while China holds the Government and says they own it. 'Sides, In the past, China's never been known to share land. Expeccially since its been a leader in the Asian countries. It probably wants to keep it that way.

Ricador
Ricador
3,722 posts
Shepherd

I think that monks are innocent peaceful people that just want to live and enjoy life. I think that we should leave them alone and that the 2012 olympics should most definitely go on.

Just on a side note, Tibet full deserves and should receive there full independence from China.

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,827 posts
Duke

Aw poop, I guess I missed what he said. Was it worthwhile or did I totally destroy him?

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

Well, if you look at the trend in his posting, I don't think it'll go that easy.

But anyway. I'm quite interested to see how much the torch relay gets disrupted. Here in Australia there is talk that the entire run through Canberra may simply be cancelled if there's too high a risk.

Given the international symbolism of the torch relay, I think this at least speaks volumes, even if it does not acheive very much (do you think it would?)

Showing 1-15 of 31