ForumsWEPRThe Great Debate!

285 49401
Moegreche
Moegreche
3,827 posts
Duke

There have been a lot of fantastic debates in this section of the forums, so I thought we could make things a bit more "interesting."
Here's how it works:
I will create profiles on which 2 people will debate one-on-one on a topic of their choosing. You will receive points based on 3 categories: argument strength, evidence, and refutation.
Argument strength is just that - how strong are your arguments. Logical fallacies and cogency of the argument play a strong role here (so, is the argument "correct" and does it make sense). Your spelling and grammar are important to, so either get a browser with spell-check or put your comments in Word or something that can check your spelling.
Evidence is articles or journals to which you can provide links to help support your argument. How reliable the evidence is also matters, so Wikipedia articles will not count towards evidence.
Refutation means being able to counter what your opponent is saying. If you can point out flaws in their argument or present counter-examples to their arguments then you can get points in this category.
The debate will go on until a predetermined score has been reached. The winner will have his or her best argument point merited - thus receiving 25 AP!
----
So, if you want to join, just put your name, the topic you would like to debate about, and how many points you would like to go to (I would suggest maybe 10 or 15 for right now, I'm not exactly sure how all the scoring will work out yet). Also include your stance on the topic.
Once you have this info posted, you have just given out a challenge and anyone can challenge you. If you would like to challenge someone, then post your name, their name, and the topic.
Feel free to create multiple challenges, so long as you can keep track of them all! Once two debaters have been matched, I'll post a link to the profile on which you guys will be debating.

I think that's everything, but here's an example of a challenge:

Name: Moegreche
Topic: Does God exist?
My stance: God does not exist!

If someone were to challenge me, then they would have to argue an opposing view to mine (in this case, that God does exist).
So, let the debates begin, and if anything is unclear or if I've missed anything then let me know either on this thread or on my profile.
Thanks, and happy debating!!

• 285 Replies
ubertuna
ubertuna
2,120 posts
Shepherd

Ok then. I just chose that because it seems pretty easy to go either way on. You can argue for ethics or you can argue for science.

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

(hm, after some thought, I believe I can argue for ethics, but it will be a fairly complex argument. Oh well, you sould like you wouldn't mind that :P)

flappybob999
flappybob999
797 posts
Peasant

Name: flappybob999
Topic: Are aliens real?
Debate: I think they are very real, indeed. Think about it. On almost every science channel, they are talking about how the big craters that packed together to form earth and had little tiny microscopic life-forms that eventually bonded to form plant and animals, and all matter.

Let the debates roll in!

P.S. This is a great idea!

ubertuna
ubertuna
2,120 posts
Shepherd

@flappybob999
That topic has already been debated upon. Twice. What's the rule about multiple debates on the same topic anyway?

@Strop
Ok then, when and where are we going to do this?

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,675 posts
Jester

Ok, by the way..I am ready for my next debate! What is up for grabs?

Score: 1 Win, 0 Losses. Go me?

ubertuna
ubertuna
2,120 posts
Shepherd

@Devoidless

Name: ubertuna
Topic: Outsourcing Labor
Stance: The American middle class is suffering greatly due to job loss caused by large corporations moving their production plants to countries where cheap labor is easily available.
Devoidless
Devoidless
3,675 posts
Jester

Which side would I be on? That would be nice to know. After that, mayhap Moe can set it up.

ubertuna
ubertuna
2,120 posts
Shepherd

You'd be presenting an argument for the benefits of outsourcing in America.

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,675 posts
Jester

Bah...I could not do that. Seeing that I am pro-union and dislike outsourcing I would be flailing around like a disenfranchised martyr on the rack.

dgw91
dgw91
35 posts
Nomad

Hmm This is a nice idea! Is there a time limit on these debates or are you aloud to do research and take breaks for things like school and food ect?

ubertuna
ubertuna
2,120 posts
Shepherd

Yeah, it seems that most people are thinking that way too. I was hoping that Strop would give it a try, he seems pretty good at playing devil's advocate. The obvious argument that I see in favor of outsourcing is that lower costs of labor transfer to more affordable products, making them more available to the middle class. This, however, is a pretty flimsy argument when compared to the opposition.

ubertuna
ubertuna
2,120 posts
Shepherd

Maybe something more to the tune of...

Topic: Why Outsourcing in the U.S. Continues Unchecked.
Stance: Because large corporations hold to much power, both politically and in the media. They have control over what we think as individuals and what we do as a country.

thoadthetoad
thoadthetoad
5,642 posts
Peasant

name: thoadthetoad
topic: supernaturalities (yes I know it's not a real word, I meant supernatural things in general) do indeed exist.

Many things of life are very supernatural, such as ghosts and things and I do think that ghosts, and poltergiest and indeed (though i am AGAIN atheist) demons.

Kingofthehill
Kingofthehill
57 posts
Nomad

Ok! Let's go! I think God does exist! Why, can you really believe that an explosion created all this? And by the way, if God doesn't exist, who created all these stories about Jesus. And why do so many people claim "to have felt his presence!" If you want to debate, get me at my page!

ubertuna
ubertuna
2,120 posts
Shepherd

@kingofthehill
If I can do three debates at once, I'll take you on. Also, Moegreche organizes the debates. He will set up a profile where the debate will take place, not you. Also, let me get this straight to see if the rest of you are on the same page as I am.

I will be debating against Strop on ethical issues involved in the Milgram expiriment.

I might be debating against Devoidless on reasons why outsourcing is unchecked in the U.S.

I will be debating against Kingofthehill on the existence of god.

Showing 91-105 of 285