ForumsWEPRThe Great Debate!

285 49357
Moegreche
Moegreche
3,827 posts
Duke

There have been a lot of fantastic debates in this section of the forums, so I thought we could make things a bit more "interesting."
Here's how it works:
I will create profiles on which 2 people will debate one-on-one on a topic of their choosing. You will receive points based on 3 categories: argument strength, evidence, and refutation.
Argument strength is just that - how strong are your arguments. Logical fallacies and cogency of the argument play a strong role here (so, is the argument "correct" and does it make sense). Your spelling and grammar are important to, so either get a browser with spell-check or put your comments in Word or something that can check your spelling.
Evidence is articles or journals to which you can provide links to help support your argument. How reliable the evidence is also matters, so Wikipedia articles will not count towards evidence.
Refutation means being able to counter what your opponent is saying. If you can point out flaws in their argument or present counter-examples to their arguments then you can get points in this category.
The debate will go on until a predetermined score has been reached. The winner will have his or her best argument point merited - thus receiving 25 AP!
----
So, if you want to join, just put your name, the topic you would like to debate about, and how many points you would like to go to (I would suggest maybe 10 or 15 for right now, I'm not exactly sure how all the scoring will work out yet). Also include your stance on the topic.
Once you have this info posted, you have just given out a challenge and anyone can challenge you. If you would like to challenge someone, then post your name, their name, and the topic.
Feel free to create multiple challenges, so long as you can keep track of them all! Once two debaters have been matched, I'll post a link to the profile on which you guys will be debating.

I think that's everything, but here's an example of a challenge:

Name: Moegreche
Topic: Does God exist?
My stance: God does not exist!

If someone were to challenge me, then they would have to argue an opposing view to mine (in this case, that God does exist).
So, let the debates begin, and if anything is unclear or if I've missed anything then let me know either on this thread or on my profile.
Thanks, and happy debating!!

• 285 Replies
turret
turret
1,628 posts
Shepherd

i challande you damaster333 at extra terrestials

Ricador
Ricador
3,722 posts
Shepherd

Name: Ricador
Topic: Abortion
Stance: It is homicide

opentotruth
opentotruth
473 posts
Peasant

im up for a debate can soemone tell me what debates are open

Ricador
Ricador
3,722 posts
Shepherd

abortion is open

opentotruth
opentotruth
473 posts
Peasant

tough i might debate that ill decide tomarrow since im getting off soon

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,827 posts
Duke

Okay, great.
DaMasta and Turret
Debating on extra-terrestrials.
DaMasta will present his argument first. Here's the profile:
http://armorgames.com/user/Debate_TheUnknown1

DaMasta, you have a lot of points to support, so be careful!

I think the open debates right now are:
DaMasta - Operation Chaos
Ricador - Abortion

If I've missed anyone, maybe just repost here. Also, check out http://armorgames.com/user/Debate_Schedule for a list of current and open debates (as soon as I get those posted there). And thanks to NoName for his suggestion of the debate schedule profile.
Happy Debating!!

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

What...I'm taking on skipper? But I hadn't committed! D:

Well, heh. Guess I'll ready myself anyway.

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,675 posts
Jester

I want to do two at once!

I want the opposite side of abortion. I mean, I created the topic in the first place. ^_^

Armed_Blade
Armed_Blade
1,492 posts
Shepherd

Ooh. o.o
Opposite side of Abortion.. Pro-Abortion or Pro-Life?
Might help to tell her that.

Sorry about not posting on my current Debate, Strop is a hard person to debate with. He made me look up Five words, and I had an A in AP English -.-

turret
turret
1,628 posts
Shepherd

Name: Internet
Topic: Why do we need it so much and so often
Stance:its wrong to do that

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,675 posts
Jester

...her? Moe? Who is totally a dude-man-guy-bro? Ok.

Either way it would be the pro-choice side. This "If a tree falls..." argument is going nowhere fast and my opponent is not making sense one response into it...

htpp://armorgames.com/user/Debate_Philosophy1

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

Hm, is skipper set to go on debate_morality2? I haven't seen any posts there yet.

nick_coolhaha
nick_coolhaha
1,192 posts
Herald

Hey, I know that I'm may not be the best at debating, but this seems like a topic that I can be very cabable of debating.

Name: Nick_Coolhaha
Topic: The National Day of Silence
Stance: I think that it's a pretty dumb holiday.

turret
turret
1,628 posts
Shepherd

Turret
Topic:racism
Stance:racism is wrong and needs to be stoped

Megamickel
Megamickel
902 posts
Peasant

Can I take on two people at once? I'll take on turret if so...
My stance is that we're all a little bit judgmental, and we need to accept that before we can get along.

Showing 61-75 of 285