ForumsArt, Music, and WritingThe Cow Story

86 21085
cowmaster1
cowmaster1
676 posts
Shepherd

Over a year ago i wrote a story about cows and their journeys. I have gone back now and edited it, added small details not there before. Names have been changed. Now i present to you....

THE COW STORY

• 86 Replies
cowmaster1
cowmaster1
676 posts
Shepherd

the squares are where quotations should be but it didn't copy right from word. The same goes for apostrophes.

And yes it was an agonizing game to watch.

Cinna
Cinna
753 posts
Nomad

Who cares about that keep it coming!

cowmaster1
cowmaster1
676 posts
Shepherd

Minutes seemed like hours and hours like days while the cows waited the night for the storm to pass. Eventually the storm died down to just a light sprinkle. The sky was still an ominous dark though. Another light rain shower followed an hour later. The ground was soaked and water sat everywhere. An emptiness filled the barn. Everything seemed dull and the world was numb in the barn. Small rays of light crept through cracks in the clouds.
âSarah, Tom, and Ryan got blown away in the storm,â Mike quietly told Jim and Jim solemnly told everyone.
âWhat about Stew?â asked Bessy.
âHeâs okay, and starting to recover, but the storm was a shock.â
About 40 cows were missing. A few cows over heard the farmer talking to his wife about butchering or selling most of the cows to pay for repairs on the barn and the house. The house had lost a ton of shingles and half the siding on the house. Windows were shattered but the crops survived with little damage.
âCows, we need to move to India,â said Bessy, âThey donât eat cows there. I have a feeling we are the cows that are going to get butchered by our new farmer.â
âWe need to get to a major port,â Chad said.
âWould San Francisco work?â asked Mike.
âYeah! Thatâd work great!â said Bessy.
âBut how would we get there?â asked Joe.
âWeâll walk there,â said Jim, âand weâll start tonight.â
âNo, wait I have an idea,â said Jenny, âWe could sneak onto a train.â
âThatâll never happen,â said Mike.
âSays you, Iâve heard stories of cows hiding in boxcars and going to California. Apparently thatâs where cows are happy.â
âOk. Where do we get onto this train?â
âWeâll have to walk to Omaha.â
âAre you crazy?â
âItâs closer than Chicago.â
âExcuse me, but can I come with you.â Stew asked timidly.
âOf course you can!â Bessy replied.
So Jenny led the cows to Interstate 80 which led them all the way to Omaha. The first week went slowly because Stewâs injury was still recovering. Twice they had to stop because Stew collapsed from exhaustion and the gash in his side. The entire trip took about a month. Frequently small fight broke out between some of the cows but nothing serious happened. The cows had adapted to eating wild grass though Stew had the hardest time with it. The days started to get hotter and hotter. The cowsâ progress slowed but never stopped. It was in the afternoon when they arrived on the borders of the city.
âWeâre here,â said Jenny.
âLook at all those trains.â said Mike.
âYup. Can we use one?â
âWe can use one,â said Jim. So the cows got on the train. They traveled on train for a day. They transferred between a few different trains and eventually made it to California. Once they were nearly discovered but evaded it because of the laziness of the train conductor. They moved to the last train heading for San Francisco. Sleep took the cows one by one in the boxcar. It started to rain lightly. It got heavier and started to thunder. Still the cow slept on from all their travels. The rain pounded against the car and echoed through the car. Jim woke up to find Stew watching the rain.
âWhat are you doing up?â questioned Jim calmly.
âThinkingâ¦â replied Stew
âAbout what?â
âLeaving my herd and joining yours. Itâs hard. I had so many cows close to me but most of them were blown away.â
âIf you had stayed Rod would have made life miserable if he let you keep your life.â
âI know.â
They arrived in San Francisco two hours later. The trainâs horn seem to never stop blowing. Eventually it stopped the train slowed and the cows started to wake up. âHuh?â mumbled Adam, âAre we there yet?â
âAlmost,â Tony said, he seemed to be wide awake.
âSo, how are we going to get to India?â asked Chad.
âBy boat,â replied Jim.
âYou sure?â asked Joe.
âYep, itâs the only way.â

OperationNilo
OperationNilo
3,937 posts
Shepherd

Nice story! Can't wait for the next chapter.

cowmaster1
cowmaster1
676 posts
Shepherd

âHonk!â blared an incoming shipâs horn.
âHow are we going to get on a ship to India?â asked Jim.
âI know people.â replied Joe. âTheyâre smugglers; I used to be in the cud business.â
âPlease donât tell me youâre a cud addict.â
âIâm not and never was, just was forced into the business at an early age.â
Joe led the cows to a shady part of time. A cat named Sally met them and after having a private conversation with Joe, led them into a abandoned warehouse. A large number of cows with horns sharpened surrounded Jimâs herd. They were led to a massive bull.
âHello Joe and company. Welcome. What brings you hear?â
âWe would like you to help us sneak onto a boat headed to India.â replied Joe.
âIndia⦠Well I can make a deal with you Joe; I want your help to set up a cud market in India. In fact I would like you to supervise it, you did such a good job in the Midwest before you were captured and sent off to the farm.â
âAnd after I set it up and it become stable I can leave?â
âWell that depends Joe, how much do you value your friendsâ lives?â
âSo youâre saying if I leave the cud smuggling industry, youâll hunt down my friends?â
âYou were always so bright.â
âAnd if I say no now?â
âYouâll never leave this warehouse again.â
âYou have a deal. Now follow Sally to the ship and weâll get you on board. In fact, Iâm quite good friends with the captain of the ship so you donât even have to be smuggled on.â
Sally led the cows a dock near the warehouse and the cows boarded the ship and were on their way to India. They all met the captain who was extremely friendly. All was going great. No one got sea sick and the seas were calm and quiet. They sailed for a week. Everyone was carefree except for Joe.
âHowâre you doing Joe?â asked Stew.
âI purposely got sent into captivity to get out of the cud business. Now Iâm forced back in it.â Joe replied. He was becoming more and more depressed every day.
âItâll be alright. I know weâll find a way to get you out of it. If it werenât for you we probably would have never gotten on this ship.â
âNo, we would have found a way onto the ship one way or another. I know Jim, heâs the smartest cow Iâve ever met.â
The ship made its way into the Indian Ocean. Small islands were randomly scattered everywhere. The captain announced that on his radio there had been reports of bad weather up ahead and to be on the lookout for a possible hurricane.
âHurricane!â screamed a worker on the boat a few hours.
âItâs coming right at us!â Jenny said in a panicked voice.
âWe have to find land!â yelled the captain.
âThere! Itâs an island!â Chad pointed to some islands to the southwest of the boat. It was about 2 miles long one way and 5 miles another way. âTurn right,â Chad said to the captain.
âOk, weâre turning to the starboard side,â he said.
The ocean turned violent. Waves smashed against both sides of the ship. Winds blew nearly tipped the boat.
âHELP ME! SOMEONE!â screamed Tony desperately. He had been thrown off the ship. He land right next to ship. Before anyone could anything about it he was swallowed by the ocean. The winds and waves pushed the ships over Tony and he disappeared under the ship.
âOh no,â said the captain.
âWhat?â asked Chad.
âOur rudder just became jammed.â replied the captain. Tonyâs body had been ripped to shredders by the propellers and the remains of him were caught on the rudder jamming it.
âAndâ¦â
âThe only way to fix it is somebody has to climb down below water and get whateverâs in there outâ¦â
âWhy does this happen during a hurricane?!â
âIâll goâ¦I overheard you two talking andâ¦â Joe told them as he walked up the stairs into the wheelhouse.
âNO! Joe you canât!â yelled Chad.
âBut I will,â
âButâ¦â
âOk, follow me and weâll get your equipment on,â the captain said. âWe have no other choice.â
The whole boat and everyone on it depended on the success of Joe getting Tonyâs body off the rudder. The captain turned off the engine. The hurricane was getting closer and all the boat could do was float, in the waves, right the path of the hurricane. Meanwhile Joe was being lowered into the water. Minutes passed slowly. Occasionally Joe would pop back up from under the surface of water to see if he had fixed. The hurricane inched closer and closer. Joeâs body started to become numb from the waves harassing him.
âHe got it!â cried a sailor, âHe got what ever was in the rudder out!â
âHoist him up!â the captain ordered.
They pulled him up from under the boat and discovered he had died of shock. The coldness of the water caused him to start hyperventilating and the hurricane didnât help either. He nearly drowned from the waves holding him under the boat.
âWhy did have he have to die?â cried Bessy, âHe didnât have to die; we were so close to India too.â
âHe knew this might happen but I wouldnât go so far to stay he intended this to happen. Anyways this isnât the time to cry. Weâre not safe yet, and weâre still miles away from the island with the hurricane coming straight in our direction,â Jim told Bessy.
The captain rushed to the wheel and spun it right. Everyone felt the boat jerk; some of the crew fell off balance and tumbled onto the deck. Everyone was soaked. The sky violently dumped buckets of water onto the ship. Waves smashed over the edge and swallowed the cows and crew. They made it to the island in time and waited for the hurricane to pass. The cows mourned the loss of Tony and Joe. Few words were spoken. The journey had started to take its toll on the cows, and they knew theyâd have to avoid the cow mafia somehow. After the long wait, they set sail to India in calm waters.

OperationNilo
OperationNilo
3,937 posts
Shepherd

This is great!

But poor poor Joe. I had a feeling he'd die sooner or later in the story

cowmaster1
cowmaster1
676 posts
Shepherd

âLand ho!â cried a deckhand later. The ship docked in a port on the east coast of India.
âWeâre here cows. That means weâre going to have to deal with the mafia.â said Jim. It was a calm, sunny day. The sun was bright, the sand was hot, and the water was cool. There was light ocean breeze. The cows walked off the ship slowly. The dock was crowded. A cow appeared from the crowd and walked toward them.
âItâs Sarah!â yelled Jenny, âI thought you died in the tornado.â
âWe landed in a lake and heard about you cows going to India so we decided to meet you there,â said Sarah.
âWhere are Tom and Ryan?â asked Jim.
âTheyâre in Bombay, causing traffic jams in the middle of busy streets.â
âI want to join,â said Adam.
âLater, nowâs not the time to talk about that.â
âWhat do you mean?â
âThe cow mafia heard what happened to Joe and feel that youâre not keeping your side of the deal.â
âDo you mean theyâre going to hunt us down?â
âYes. We need to get you out of India for a while. Nepal is where I recommend going; itâs where Tom, Ryan, and I are going. Weâll be wanted just for talking to you.â
âWell, letâs go to Mumbai to pick up Tom and Ryan and get on our way.â said Jim.
âThatâs the problem, thatâs the cow mafiaâs headquarters in India. The city is crawling in mafia members.â
âWeâll risk it, come on cows, letâs go.â said Jim. The cows made their way to Mumbai. The only traveled at night to avoid detection. They cows arrived in Mumbai two days later during midday. They walked through the outer parts of the city and made their way into the busiest parts of the city. Occasionally someone would speak about noticing random cows stealthily following them. The cow always was gone when the whole group left. The mafia was following them and everyone knew it. They arrived in less than an hour.
âWould someone move the cows!â screamed a driver. There were two cows standing in the middle of one of the busiest intersections of town. They blankly stared at the honking horn and yelling people. Seven more cows entered the intersection and joined the two already standing.
âHey, Ryan can we join in?â asked Adam.
âSure,â said Ryan, âWhenâd you guys get here?â
âA couple days ago,â replied Adam
âGREAT. More cows,â the driver said sarcastically and started screaming vulgar language.
After Jim and Sarah explaining everything that was going on, the cows left the intersection and went into an alleyway to continue discussing their current predicament. Half way through the discussion Jim left with another cow, nobody recognized the cow. Jim returned less than an hour later.
âWho was that?â asked Bessy.
âHe is an independent cud dealer. The cow mafia has been trying to run him out of business for years. I got a lot of information from him in exchange for buying cud and a little bribery. I discarded the cud immediately after he left.â Jim quietly replied.
âHe told me how to get the mafia off our backs. Iâm skeptical though. I donât know how reliable this guy is until I can talk to other cud dealer.â
âWhatâd he say?â
âA man who lives in the mountains of Nepal is in control of the cow mafia. He recently took over and has a tight grip. No one steps out of line. Word has slipped out that the cow mafia would do anything for the person to get rid of this said person.â

OperationNilo
OperationNilo
3,937 posts
Shepherd

Nice! The cows are getting in problems.

CommanderDude7
CommanderDude7
4,689 posts
Nomad

Lol those cows in an intersection! This cow mafia means business! Keep the stories coming!

cowmaster1
cowmaster1
676 posts
Shepherd

The cows in the intersection just pissing off people is my favorite part of the story.

Cinna
Cinna
753 posts
Nomad

Bold! A awe-inspiring tour de force!

-Rob Weekly

cowmaster1
cowmaster1
676 posts
Shepherd

Part 7 might not be up today, because they're so much to add. Hopefully i can finish it tomorrow. Right now it's about a third of a page on Word. I'd like it to be about 2 pages if possible, at least 1.5,

High ho, High ho! It's off the work i Go!

Cinna
Cinna
753 posts
Nomad

I'm hungry for the cow story!

cowmaster1
cowmaster1
676 posts
Shepherd

Im sorry! I know it's hot in demand but our factories cant keep up with the demand . Im sorry for the inconvience, we are trying our hardest :P

cowmaster1
cowmaster1
676 posts
Shepherd

Omgosh! I had steak for dinner! Thx for reminding me! Inspiration time! steak=good= [=( =good story. Hurray for math and cows

[=(

Showing 31-45 of 86