SirNoobalot

SirNoobalot

1,417 posts

thank you =D. i guess i really am good... hehe

Posted Aug 7, '10 at 5:08am

Secretmapper

Secretmapper

740 posts

There was already a thread about this in the S&S.

Posted Aug 7, '10 at 5:45am

sonicheroes95

sonicheroes95

1,276 posts

actually, that wasn't about how to create an rpg, but rather, armorgames not becoming a MMO

Posted Aug 7, '10 at 5:49am

Secretmapper

Secretmapper

740 posts

@sonic
No, it was perfectly about creating an rpg. I doubt you have read it. That was a pretty old thread.

Posted Aug 7, '10 at 6:01am

Cenere

Cenere

12,941 posts

Knight

1. Stickied.

2. Note that this only goes for, well, hack and slash-ish rpg. Or I guess, not for story telling games, which is the awesome type of rpg that never happens, which is sad.
This is like DnD, while story telling games are like WoD. If that makes sense.
Makes Cenny sad.

Posted Aug 7, '10 at 6:36am

knight_34

knight_34

11,455 posts

I have to say, this is a very good guide. There is an apparent lack of instructions when it comes to making games for the Forum Games section, so we get a number of failed/poorly executed RPG threads. Despite the fact that it is usually expected for people to be aware of the rules and guidelines of making a pen and paper RPG. Yes, these are much like those except for the fact that typing is used.

Thus, having this here will definitely provide guidance.

Heh, it's been some time since I remembered anything being stickied.

A few suggestions..

Increase the length (I think it ought to be good to update this when you have more to add) and use bold for the headings and subheadings.

Posted Aug 7, '10 at 8:55am

obould

obould

159 posts

Now all that needs to be stickied is the HOW TO BE A PLAYER half of this :P This is not only for the hack/slash RPGs though, Cenere. This was created to assist ALL RPGs in this forum, but I used hack/slash as the example (which I am good at)

Thank you for stickying. I hope that it really makes the Forum games RPGs much better than the newer stuff.

Posted Aug 8, '10 at 11:27am

Cenere

Cenere

12,941 posts

Knight

This is not only for the hack/slash RPGs though, Cenere. This was created to assist ALL RPGs in this forum, but I used hack/slash as the example (which I am good at)

I think you misunderstood me. I call it hack'n'slash because it is a very stat based, action kind of game. You have your stats showing all the time, and the game is often based on decisions the players will have to choose from, instead of making up their own decision.
It is not the kind of rpg I would engage to, because it lacks a lot of the "role playing". It is like playing an old rpg, where you have one set storyline, and perhaps two or three different ways to reply to a npc, but all in all, there isn't much else to it.

Posted Aug 8, '10 at 6:18pm

obould

obould

159 posts

It is like playing an old rpg, where you have one set storyline, and perhaps two or three different ways to reply to a npc, but all in all, there isn't much else to it.

If you view any of my RPG's, you will see that I do not give the players any choices. They create their own choice in how their character works, I only tell them what happens in response to their actions. You should try one of them sometime, much different than the old, cruddier ones that used to roam this forum.

Posted Aug 8, '10 at 7:12pm

SirNoobalot

SirNoobalot

1,417 posts

my founding pillars:

#1:Active. i see far too many good threads die because the OOC is for whatever reason unable to handle the control of it.
#2: non-linear. this is more of a personal preference, but i strongly dislike linear gameplay, especially if its predictable linear gameplay.  sure, the OOC can arrange for some moments to happen, but having a set outcome, or a predestination borrowing from calvinism ( i think). it should be as open as possible to allow creativity and funz. and cookies =D.
#3.non-complex char sheet. again more of a personal preference, it takes so much difficulty out of things to not have a massive wall of text for a char sheet.
#4 rationality. no, i'm not throwing science fiction or fiction for the matter out the window, but just things simply making sense, i.e realistic. it quite ruins the point of any game if you know your probably never going to fail/lose.

-SN

Reply to [GUIDE] How to create an RPG in this forum

You must be logged in to post a reply!