ForumsWEPRAre violent things making us more violent?

44 10398
turret
turret
1,628 posts
Shepherd

like if we play grand theft auto does it change our prospective on violence

• 44 Replies
homegrove
homegrove
325 posts
Peasant

It depends on the maturity of the person playing say video game. That is really what it comes down to. Too bad, most punks nowadays play GTA, then they go out on the streets with their friends (where peer pressure comes into play) and their mind races back to that time they played GTA, and so they steal a car, break into a house, maybe even kill someone. Happens everyday.

Enigma32
Enigma32
2 posts
Nomad

Well it depends on how you play Grand Theft Auto. When I played it all I did was jumps and stunts and Jet fights and shit. And I doubt it would change your prospective if you say a animated guy tossing grenades at people, its just for entertainment.

Darkroot
Darkroot
2,763 posts
Peasant

Actuall I hate to say this but it does I am taking psychology and it has been proven but it only works in certain condition and even if some people do play it:
1:Has to be a violent video game, very violent (manhunt violent)
2:Underaged person playing it
3:Certain type of person, violent person or someone being bullied or harrased in some ways. Which would give him a reason to hurt people and might get the ideas in the game
Violent video games don't have to promote violence and only work to some extent.

Cheeseman298
Cheeseman298
118 posts
Nomad

It has happend before and it will happen again. Not exactly with grand theft auto (it might have but i havn't heard about it) but I have heard it twisted a mind of two people and started exacuting Mortal Kombat moves on a kid they were babysitting. The article said the had a IQ of 70 or less. I dont't know if that had anything to do with it though. Anyways, I agree with homegrove that it depends on the level of someones maturity. I also depends on how they control their actions.Grand theft auto is rated M. I think people 17 and older can control their actions.

sonnymasta
sonnymasta
294 posts
Peasant

it depends if u want to be violent.

turret
turret
1,628 posts
Shepherd

i head about that and mabey these games are most to blame Halo,GTA, Mortal Kombat, COD are the main ones to me

Jordanhasgerms
Jordanhasgerms
150 posts
Nomad

Honestly violent stuff shouldn't influence bad things. The act of violence should seem that it would satisfy the public. I hate when elders think that just because there is violence in movies, and violence in video games it affects how violence is used in society. People are ignorant and really can't think of another excuse for violence so they look for the easiest target which happens to be video games, movies etc. Violence has been around since the stone age so I really don't think that seeing or hearing violent things makes us violent!

turret
turret
1,628 posts
Shepherd

yeah i think that they have caused some violent ishewes

Megamickel
Megamickel
902 posts
Peasant

Nonsense! I play GTA all the time... to me, it's an outlet for my rage rather than a builder for it. Course, I actually played through the story, which is pretty good. Especially in San Andreas. Man, that was wicked cool.

You're wrong

daswiftarrow
daswiftarrow
873 posts
Nomad

its not the games, its the fact that we have more media today, so we have a chance to have news to cover every little thing, and so its seems our world is more violent than before, while its actuly no diffrent, and so people blame media (games,t.v.,music,books) that the person does not enjoy, and does not understand, and says that it is the cause of violence, when its really just humans being humans (i think ive explained this on this site 1 or 2 times already)

daswiftarrow
daswiftarrow
873 posts
Nomad

also, its really not the games causing it, its the bullies (whatever you call em now) in schools, driving the smaller kids (nerds,goths,emos) to insanity and the person being bullied will begin to feel so angry, and feel the need to defend themself, so they go out, get a gun, and shoot everyone that they can, mainly people in that group (people bullying, preps,gangsters,the bully thats by himself)

Jordanhasgerms
Jordanhasgerms
150 posts
Nomad

Yeah I do agree idk like that's a good thinking pattern to it too. Idk I just don't think seeing violence entices people to perform violent attacks!

daswiftarrow
daswiftarrow
873 posts
Nomad

ya, like people have said earlier, violent games can be a release, say you had a bad day at school or at your job, you can just go home, kill some virtual people, and blow off some steam

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,829 posts
Duke

Are things really getting more violent? As a society, it's odd that this question is even being discussed. Less than 100 years ago, you could still go catch a public execution in many developed nations and before that public torture was a lovely way to spend a Saturday afternoon. Ancient Rome of course had gladiators, and criminals who were sentenced to death got to be little experiments in fun and different ways to kill people.
If simulated violence is enough to send someone over the edge, then they probably didn't need that much of a push to begin with.

LiL_GaNgSta_BlAzE
LiL_GaNgSta_BlAzE
2,283 posts
Jester

Actuall I hate to say this but it does I am taking psychology and it has been proven but it only works in certain condition and even if some people do play it:
1:Has to be a violent video game, very violent (manhunt violent)
2:Underaged person playing it
3:Certain type of person, violent person or someone being bullied or harrased in some ways. Which would give him a reason to hurt people and might get the ideas in the game
Violent video games don't have to promote violence and only work to some extent.

Okey he is right, the olney one that this effects most is the ones who are careless, or should not be playing the game, I mean there are 6-7 year old kids playing this and then when there parents find out (parents bought the game in the first place) they get all upset.

If this in some way dose effect the child or player, it will partly be the parents fault, if and adult dose it, well then they need to spend some time in a REAL jail.

(GTA FAN and Violent games fan LOL)
Showing 1-15 of 44