ForumsWEPRWhats the whole thing About swearing Where did it originate from?

41 10093
turret
turret
1,628 posts
Shepherd

I Don't Now Where It Started But Why Do We Say It So Often

• 41 Replies
St1cKyH4nd
St1cKyH4nd
114 posts
Nomad

i say zonks like on scooby doo, na that lame

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Not sure where it comes from but it can be good for you.

Why Swearing Is Good for You

Google567
Google567
4,013 posts
Farmer

Swearing is just a way that little kids can say words they wouldn't dare say in front of mommy and daddy. For some reason,they think it makes them look cool. I really don't see how though. They don't seem cool to me,they seem like jerks.

donpiet
donpiet
755 posts
Peasant

really don't see how though. They don't seem cool to me,they seem like jerks.

that is logical, because you are older and more mature and therefore have other coolness factors.

i think its nice to use other words instead of the really offensive ones, especially when you are younger. otherwise you get used to using it on any occasion and in the end you use more f words in a sentence than other words at all.
and you keep your language pure which is nicer to listen to.

because using bad words is not cool at all
ComradeGamer
ComradeGamer
383 posts
Nomad

If you ask me holding up your middle finger is just silly. How is holding middle finger a bad thing!? I dont understand why would us human beings come up with such silly emotes that mean no harm!?

Green12324
Green12324
4,097 posts
Peasant

If you ask me holding up your middle finger is just silly. How is holding middle finger a bad thing!? I dont understand why would us human beings come up with such silly emotes that mean no harm!?

Why does giving the thumbs up sign mean what it does?

It's just non-verbals that have developed over time.
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

It's times like this when I remember taboos of the middle ages, where people bite their thumbs at people instead of the bird, and where people shake hands when fighting. How society has changed over the centuries...

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

(Going to go ahead and flag that comment because troll420 is here)

Seriously though, this is discussing swearing, not swearing on a thread.

One thing never changed over the years... people still made fun of each others' mother, except it changed from the word Harlot, to the word Hore (w taken out). So not only is it culture, but the natures of humans that helped developed taboos, both cursing and gestures alike.

Somers
Somers
1,532 posts
Nomad

my opinion:

Swear. I dont care, as long as your not directing it at me, we dont have a problem.

But it does determine class

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

How about instead insult with class.

When Insults Had Class

These glorious insults are from an era before the English language got boiled down to 4-letter words.

The exchange between Churchill & Lady Astor:
She said, "If you were my husband I'd give you poison."
He said, "If you were my wife, I'd drink it."

"He had delusions of adequacy." - Walter Kerr

"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I
admire." - Winston Churchill

"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." Clarence Darrow

"He has never been known to use a word that might send a reader to the dictionary." - William Faulkner (about Ernest Hemingway).

"Thank you for sending me a copy of your book; I'll waste no time reading it." - Moses Hadas

"I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I
approved of it." - Mark Twain

"He has no enemies, but is intensely disliked by his friends.." - Oscar Wilde

"I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play;
bring a friend.... if you have one." - George Bernard Shaw to Winston Churchill
"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second.... if
there is one." - Winston Churchill, in response.

"I feel so miserable without you; it's almost like having you
here." - Stephen Bishop

"He is a self-made man and worships his creator." - John Bright

"I've just learned about his illness. Let's hope it's nothing
trivial." - Irvin S. Cobb

"He is not only dull himself; he is the cause of dullness in
others." - Samuel Johnson

"He is simply a shiver looking for a spine to run up." - Paul
Keating

"In order to avoid being called a flirt, she always yielded
easily." - Charles, Count Talleyrand

"He loves nature in spite of what it did to him." - Forrest Tucker

"Why do you sit there looking like an envelope without any
address on it?" - Mark Twain

"His mother should have thrown him away and kept the stork." -
Mae West

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.." - Oscar Wilde

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts... for
support rather than illumination." - Andrew Lang (1844-1912)

"He has Van Gogh's ear for music." - Billy Wilder

"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening. But this wasn't it." -
Groucho Marx

DaveLopo
DaveLopo
39 posts
Nomad

My question to the thread starter: "Why The Heck Do You Use "Proper Case?" It Is Extremely Annoying

There is no such think as a "bad" word. tHere are words that people are ridiculously offended by, even when not used in a vulgar way. Apparently nowadays "crap" is considered a bad word.

nonconformist
nonconformist
1,101 posts
Nomad

k in my opinion who the f'ck cares =0.. Its a word *gasp*... (yea i used an emotion in stars, lol, dont even worry about it).. But seriously its a word that someone made up. Like someone made up the word "all". They decided what it meant and kept to it. But what is the concept of "f.uck you"? Sure we know one version of the word is to have s.ex... But when put in this term what does it mean? We have our own interpretations but all in all its still pretty much just thrown out there in place of anger. Its just another word out there like "all"... Sure it makes u sound like your not s-m-r-t but thats just the way people interpret the word.

LightingBlade
LightingBlade
69 posts
Nomad

Words like these started as vulgar slang, Its no big deal really. Some guy wanted a fancy word, that one guy probably wasn't too fancy to begin with, so he starts a vulgar style of speech that carries forth into languages, eventually becoming strong words.

As for whether they are good or bad, it can show two things:
1) If you speak like someone who has such an elaborate command of the English language because you can use the word F**** twenty times in a sentence, then Bravo most people will shout Brooklyn or Detroit in a heartbeat.
2) It can also show how you feel about them. Not using them at all just might be how you are, other times using 'em all the times means your cool with it. After all, some people believe its not the words themselves its the context of the words and how they're related in your speech. IE: I "f*** ur mom n00b." -- That will result in w-a-r. But "F*c* u lol" probably wont.

Highfire
Highfire
3,026 posts
Nomad

I'm gonna explain this plain and simple, no "tho" etc, just plain writing, these are reasons why people may use them:
1) To express their feelings to someone.
2) To annoy someone by using it.
3) Look "hard" infront of their friends.
4) Because they think it's cool.

1 is a fair idea, I don't mind people who use it in this way, as it's not bad unless you consider it bad.
2 is a neutral idea, if you're a dick and you want to annoy someone, then it's bad, if you're getting a dick back then it's fine (see, I switched it around, and I am only expressing myself).
3 is just plain dull, it's like a gangster thing, and for any gangster who think they're cool by doing it, you're not, it's just like South Park, but they're a TV show, the difference is you're in your house and they're on a set, as well as alot of humorous people's TV's.
4 is mostly bad, but can be good if you link it with 1, but it's hard to get the balance.

There's a small helpful summary - swearing isn't bad unless you use it in the wrong way, so fuck you gangsters, <3 people !

P.S I was still expressing myself...

- H

Highfire
Highfire
3,026 posts
Nomad

There is a 5th sorry:
5) If, on occasion to make others laugh.

This one is good or bad, depending on what you joke on, since curses are infact quite snappy, the F-word and the S-word mostly, as well as bastard, which isn't swearing (it is a person who was born when his/her parents weren't married) can also be used quite well. Either way, it's my last part
(Can also be used with 1)

- H

Showing 16-30 of 41