Forums

ForumsPopular Media

Favorite Genre of music?

Posted Nov 15, '10 at 6:24pm

thisisnotanalt

thisisnotanalt

8,475 posts

When death metal was being crafted, some wanted to be that edgy, but not so much. Punk came out of that.

lolwut?  Death metal originated in the 80s/90s.  Punk was mid-70s.  You're giving metal way too much credit here.

With the popularization of Pop, Thrash toned down a shade, and became Alternative.

And this is DEFINITELY wrong.  Alternative indirectly grew out of punk in the 80s with underground college rock/jangle pop/alt-rock bands like Jane's Addiction, the Cure, Joy Division, Cocteau Twins and Dead Can Dance (on the dream pop side of things), Siouxsie and the Banshees, Sonic youth, etc.  NOT thrash metal.  Grunge is what you're thinking of, because it took some influence from hardcore punk and metal, which thrash took influence from as well - but alternative as a whole was developed around the same time as thrash, with a different pool of influences.  Thrash was speed metal, hardcore punk, and the new wave of British heavy metal, whereas alternative was punk, post-punk, 60s music, etc.  The earliest alternative music was gothic rock, which started in late 70s in Britain.  The earliest thrash metal was in the early-mid 80s.  Once again, you're giving metal way too much credit.

Pop-Metal bands like Van Halen inspired MJ, who frontlined teh Pop movement.

Michael Jackson's solo career began before Van Halen was formed, and Van Halen didn't release their debut album until about 7 years after MJ started his solo career.  Aerosmith was a bit earlier, but still 3 years after MJ's solo career started.  So no, you're wrong again.  Like I said, you're giving metal too much credit.

All right, now that that's done, here's just a list of my favorite genres . . . .

Death metal
black metal
post-black metal
folk metal
progressive metal
avant-garde metal
jazz metal
electronic
ambient
ambient electronic
downtempo
trip-hop
instrumental hip-hop
IDM
garage rock
indie rock
jangle pop
shoegaze
dream pop
alternative rock
post-rock
dark cabaret
psychedelia
progressive rock
space rock
avant-garde anything
swing
big band
classical
neoclassical
symphonic power metal
etc. etc.

Posted Nov 16, '10 at 2:32pm

shotgun5

shotgun5

47 posts

i listen to rock music the most but when i feel down i listen to pop music more

Posted Nov 17, '10 at 9:58pm

parrot657

parrot657

880 posts

Progressive is my traumatism, but here's a more detailed list. :P

>Progressive Rock -> See my prog thread for every subgenre I listen too. Exclude RPI
>Progressive Metal -> Deserves special mention.
>Death Metal
>Black Metal (a little)
>Alternative
>Post-Metal
>Post-Rock
>Heavy Metal.
>NWOBHM -> New Wave of British Heavy Metal

Bah. I can't bother listing them all, but this is a narrowed list :P

Another thing to note is that almost every black or death metal band I listen to has to be melodic or progressive to a degree :P.

Posted Nov 18, '10 at 1:19pm

Hellion85

Hellion85

1 post

I like heavy stuffs, like Thrash Metal bands (Metallica and Megadeth are great Thrash).

But I also enjoy Metalcore today (hate the fact that most poseurs belong here too). I love this band >> August Burns Red.

Posted Nov 18, '10 at 5:59pm

Goatfather

Goatfather

8 posts

I listen to Indie Rock, Indie Pop, Rock, Rap... I'm not too picky when it comes to music genres, but I am when we're talking bands.

I tend to listen to We Are Scientists most. I'd say they're may favourite band, with Indie Rock being may favourite genre.

Posted Nov 18, '10 at 6:56pm

Agent_AAS

Agent_AAS

1,186 posts

For me it's definitely Hard Rock and Heavy Metal. I'm also always listening Classic Rock and other kinds of rock such as Punk, Indie, Alternative, etc...

Hmm... my favorite bands of all time list would be something like:
1. Iron Maiden
2. Metallica
3. AC/DC, Black Sabbath, Megadeth, Guns n' Roses...

Posted Nov 18, '10 at 7:00pm

skater_kid_who_pwns

skater_kid_who_pwns

4,313 posts

Classic rock BY FAR!!!!!

then some Heavy Metal, Screamo, indie rock, things like that.

Favorite Band:
1. the beatles
2. Scary Kids Scaring Kids
3. Reel Big Fish

Posted Nov 19, '10 at 12:43am

Ennie

Ennie

13 posts

I am probably one of the few people who actually listens to a broad spectrum of music.
The only time I cringe at a certain genre of music is if it's too deeply rooted in that genre for me to understand or relate to.
For example, I'm okay with country music, but not extremely country music.
Same goes for metal, bubblegum pop, folk, blues, and some other genres.

Some genres I listen to: R&B, Soul, Hip Hop, Rap, Asian Pop, Pop, Rock, Alternative, Indie, Dance, Classical, Piano, Foreign Music (Indian, French, Spanish, you name it), Electronic, Soundtrack...
Yeah, I'm pretty tolerant.
As long as the song has catchy or good lyrics, and a nice beat or melody, I'm generally okay with anything.

Posted Nov 21, '10 at 12:04pm

delossantosj

delossantosj

5,311 posts

I am probably one of the few people who actually listens to a broad spectrum of music.

you and me both sir. thats why i dont really like alot of peoples oppinions on here because they dont give some of the stuff a chance. critics should be based of people who like everything so there is less bias.

Posted Nov 22, '10 at 9:35pm

thisisnotanalt

thisisnotanalt

8,475 posts

Add me on to that list, please.  Everything from indie to world music to metal to dream pop to folk music to ambient electronic :D

I dislike it when people don't give a genre a chance, like what Delo is saying.  the only genre where I haven't found something I earnestly enjoy is mallcore, and I haven't delved deeply into it.

Reply to Favorite Genre of music?

You must be logged in to post a reply!