ForumsWEPR[3-year necro]Time Travel is Impossible

55 24278
Kevin4762
Kevin4762
2,421 posts
Nomad

It is impossible to travel back in time. Not all time travel is impossible; it may be possible to travel forward in time.

Well, despite the terrible movie, the butterfly effect actually teaches something: that a butterfly flapping its wings can change the world. For example, if you place a ball at the top of a hill, even by changing the position of the ball by one millimeter, it could take a completely different course.

Basically, if you go back in time, even by breathing and changing the carbon dioxide to oxygen ratio, you could make something breathe another gas that may have a disease. That something could die from it, setting off a whole chain of events, changing the world in the long run.

Another thing associated with the time travel is the grandfather paradox. If you go back in time, kill your grandfather, and then you would never be born, thus creating a paradox. The universe cannot have a paradox. It is unknown what will happen, but it is known (by known, I mean pretty well accepted) that the universe cannot have a paradox occur, therefore, it eliminates the possibility of the paradox by just removing the factor that causes the paradox.

The butterfly effect and the grandfather paradox are connected as if you alter the universe by being in the past.

Now, one way to get around this is that by killing your own grandfather, you form an alternate universe, parallel to yours. It would be impossible to get back to the other universe as you would have to go back in time to where the skew occurred, but as discussed with the butterfly effect, it might create a universe parallel to the parallel universe.

Another solution is that somehow, your grandfather is still alive, even if his head was chopped off. It would be impossible to conflict the the determined outcome of time. That leads me to the question if it is impossible to conflict the the outcome of time, then you why would time travel be possible in the first place?

Just something to think about. If any of you can come up with a solution to travel back in time without a paradox, I will be amazed.

• 55 Replies
Showing 76-75 of 55