ForumsNews and FeedbackAG3 Calendar: February 8, 2011. Codename: Sabre

27 6147
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Today's beta release is called "sabre" but Larry likes to pronounce it "SAH-bray". /shrug

All times are in Pacific Standard Time, relative to where our office is located. These times aren't set in stone, by any means, I only write it up here to give everyone some idea of what our typical day looks like for a beta release.

Our next release will be today, February 8th.

Here's a rough schedule of our day:

8:30am, we're all in the office, getting coffee or Diet Dr Pepper, and coordinating our morning events, squishing last-minute bugs. We furiously test our code internally on several operating systems and browsers to see if there are any specific layout/render bugs we need to fix.
9:00am, I generally start tweeting our status, what we're working on, and issues we see. Justin will probably send out several tweets about the release as well, either by re-tweeting me or sending his own notes.
9:00am, I flip a switch on the database to increment the next beta phase, and migrate new users to our mailing list software. Any users signing up after that will have to wait until the NEXT beta release to get an invite code.
11:30am, lunch time. BLT's, anyone?
12:30pm, we reconvene to do a final status check on our code, see how everything looks on our test server, and work furiously to fix last-second problems.

Between 1pm and 5:30pm, we get all of our code checked in, deployed to our production servers, start preparing our newsletter and get ready to queue up any invite codes.

The newsletter will explain more about what we've been working on, what's in the new release, that sort of thing, but does NOT include beta invite codes. Invite codes are always sent in a separate Email to users.

---

It's important to note up front that several things will seem "missing" from the site, such as the forums, etc. This is to be expected, because we're rolling out the beta in phases where we add new features every two weeks or so.

---

While this is subject to change, our release will include some of the following:
- faster search results
- bug fixes in the activity stream
- bug fixes for Safari users
- improvements on the 'recently commented' activity stream
- game ratings (you can re-rate games, too)
- we may release the &quotublic square" activity stream today too, we'll see

---

Found a bug? Found something you absolutely love-omg-squee-happybacondance? Please post it on GetSatisfaction for us. The rest of the webdev team is deathly allergic to lurking in the forums, but posting a message on GS will send an Email update to everyone, which usually gets priority over other things we're doing.

• 27 Replies
ArmorL3gend
ArmorL3gend
239 posts
Peasant

Here is the "Sabre" Sword if any of you wanted to know.

gaboloth
gaboloth
1,613 posts
Peasant

Lol, armor games' BLTs are becoming legendary XD

LEAPretard
LEAPretard
1,328 posts
Nomad

Probaly they get them from subway. could you email me a sandwich? LOL

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

Today's beta release is called "sabre" but Larry likes to pronounce it "SAH-bray"

Is he of the Spanish relation?

Lol, armor games' BLTs are becoming legendary XD

Sad to realize that one could argue the closed beta testers started this trend. Whoopsie! :$

I think this is the first time the AG team announces a release right on the dot instead of in advance. Not picky or anything, but I love tradition :P

we may release the &quotublic square" activity stream today too, we'll see

Just to clarify, but do our comments show up on the public square if we have our privacy comments set to "everyone"?
FlashGameInformer
FlashGameInformer
245 posts
Nomad

Dunder Mifflin Sabre FTW! :P

Reton8
Reton8
3,173 posts
King

Sabre, sabre, hmmm?

Oh yeah here it is, Le Sabre! Wait nevermind.

- game ratings (you can re-rate games, too)

This will be fun to try. Will rating games on AG3 still give you the AP for AG2? Will the rating itself even carry over from AG3 to AG2?
gaboloth
gaboloth
1,613 posts
Peasant

I don't think they will ever carry any data from AG3 to AG2. Looks pretty useless, since AG2 is going down soon.

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

This will be fun to try. Will rating games on AG3 still give you the AP for AG2? Will the rating itself even carry over from AG3 to AG2?

So far, no, since there are no &quotoints" of any kind yet, not even announced. I guess we will have to keep posted on this. And keep hoping!
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

he closed beta testers started this trend.

Correct.

do our comments show up on the public square if we have our privacy comments set to "everyone"?

That's the plan.

Will rating games on AG3 still give you the AP for AG2? Will the rating itself even carry over from AG3 to AG2?

No, nothing you do on AG3 migrates back to AG2, and AP/etc aren't being calculated for anything at G3 yet. AG2 will still remember your old rating, but AG3 will show your new rating value.
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

I think this is the first time the AG team announces a release right on the dot instead of in advance. Not picky or anything, but I love tradition :P

Sorry, been working on some *really* cool stuff lately, I think we're announcing it later this week. That, and preparing for a new baby due in a few weeks, etc., has had me much busier than usual.
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

Sorry, been working on some *really* cool stuff lately, I think we're announcing it later this week.

Oooh!

That, and preparing for a new baby due in a few weeks, etc., has had me much busier than usual.

You know since you announced this in public you are obligated to show us some cute baby pics in the official thread right? Congratulations!
gaboloth
gaboloth
1,613 posts
Peasant

That's an old new, frank...
And yes, things become old after a week.

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Thanks, boy #2, I'm excited. My wife, not so much... she's completely outnumbered.

We're finishing up some code, then some last minute testing. Larry's reviewing my newsletter notes and then we'll get that all queued up and ready to roll. I'll probably tweet more as we go along this afternoon, so forgive my silence in the thread until we finish the launch.

Pedro97
Pedro97
1,870 posts
Jester

- faster search results

Nice because my computer is already slow and it was taking ages to load a search in beta. By the way, merits are still going to exist or those reputation points will substitute them?
Ghgt99
Ghgt99
1,894 posts
Nomad

Rating games will be awesome! When I first started, I entered a random rating. But then I played it and liked it so I want to change it now! =)

Showing 1-15 of 27