ForumsNews and FeedbackAG3 Calendar: February 8, 2011. Codename: Sabre

27 6140
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Today's beta release is called "sabre" but Larry likes to pronounce it "SAH-bray". /shrug

All times are in Pacific Standard Time, relative to where our office is located. These times aren't set in stone, by any means, I only write it up here to give everyone some idea of what our typical day looks like for a beta release.

Our next release will be today, February 8th.

Here's a rough schedule of our day:

8:30am, we're all in the office, getting coffee or Diet Dr Pepper, and coordinating our morning events, squishing last-minute bugs. We furiously test our code internally on several operating systems and browsers to see if there are any specific layout/render bugs we need to fix.
9:00am, I generally start tweeting our status, what we're working on, and issues we see. Justin will probably send out several tweets about the release as well, either by re-tweeting me or sending his own notes.
9:00am, I flip a switch on the database to increment the next beta phase, and migrate new users to our mailing list software. Any users signing up after that will have to wait until the NEXT beta release to get an invite code.
11:30am, lunch time. BLT's, anyone?
12:30pm, we reconvene to do a final status check on our code, see how everything looks on our test server, and work furiously to fix last-second problems.

Between 1pm and 5:30pm, we get all of our code checked in, deployed to our production servers, start preparing our newsletter and get ready to queue up any invite codes.

The newsletter will explain more about what we've been working on, what's in the new release, that sort of thing, but does NOT include beta invite codes. Invite codes are always sent in a separate Email to users.

---

It's important to note up front that several things will seem "missing" from the site, such as the forums, etc. This is to be expected, because we're rolling out the beta in phases where we add new features every two weeks or so.

---

While this is subject to change, our release will include some of the following:
- faster search results
- bug fixes in the activity stream
- bug fixes for Safari users
- improvements on the 'recently commented' activity stream
- game ratings (you can re-rate games, too)
- we may release the &quotublic square" activity stream today too, we'll see

---

Found a bug? Found something you absolutely love-omg-squee-happybacondance? Please post it on GetSatisfaction for us. The rest of the webdev team is deathly allergic to lurking in the forums, but posting a message on GS will send an Email update to everyone, which usually gets priority over other things we're doing.

• 27 Replies
gaboloth
gaboloth
1,613 posts
Peasant

Yes, I'm like that too. I rated raze 5 and now I want to change RAZE DESERVES 10!!!!!!

jdoggparty
jdoggparty
5,860 posts
Nomad

Oh I really want to see what public square is!

Mostly this release is fixing some bugs right?

MRWalker82
MRWalker82
4,005 posts
Shepherd

Thanks, boy #2, I'm excited. My wife, not so much... she's completely outnumbered.

We have my wife completely overwhelmed with testosterone as well. Me, my 2 boys, and both the dog and cat. Poor, poor woman. I really don't know how she puts up with all of us xD
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

merits are still going to exist or those reputation points will substitute them?

We won't have the same sort of "merit" system. We might replace merits with achievements on the site but that's TBD.

Mostly this release is fixing some bugs right?

No, most of the code being deployed will be new features.
thaboss
thaboss
1,649 posts
Nomad

darn. AG2 didn't work for me for a couple days, (internet problems)so i missed this whole thing. it was a big surprise when i got the email. oh well, at least it's working now.

Pedro97
Pedro97
1,870 posts
Jester

I have just opened my newsletter and got the new release. It is pretty good and the things work a lot faster to me. And the some games are lagging less.

WH101
WH101
39 posts
Nomad

Oh great, missed it, stupid schoolwork... but eh... at least I got a 100 on my test... at least there's something to be done...

So... I'm really kind of new around here, so can anyone tell me about the new AG3?

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

Oh, so you missed the deadline to sign up...well there's always 2 weeks later! Might wanna mark that on your calendar. It's always on a Tuesday. Info on the newest release of AG3 is erm...on the first post of this thread. Then you just gotta lurk around this forum for older news. There's too much to tell you to list!

1337Player
1337Player
1,766 posts
Peasant

Another release?

Well I guess it will have to be done sooner or later.

I like all the features. Rating the games seem better than the system that we have here.

Ghgt99
Ghgt99
1,894 posts
Nomad

In AG3, you can do that.

Pedro97
Pedro97
1,870 posts
Jester

But my point is, makeing sure that it will happen.

If you wanna be sure try to sign up to beta. When you use the search bar, you look for users and games.
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

can anyone tell me about the new AG3?

Simple answer: Read more posts in this forum. Or the description of the forum itself on the main Community page.
Another release?

We'll be releasing new features every two weeks. At some point, we'll just open up the beta to whoever visits the beta site instead of needing to wait for an invite code, but that's a ways off yet.
Showing 16-27 of 27