Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

An Introduction to Rhetoric

Posted May 9, '11 at 7:34pm

Maverick4

Maverick4

3,707 posts

(I knew what rhetoric meant)

I assumed most people would, but I felt the need to define it anyways. Rhetoric can actually refer to several things, and we're talking about one specific form. Also, I defined it in order to remain consistent in my own usages of it. This way I would avoid a 'Fallacy of Equivocation', which would be near suicide in a sticky in the WEPR.

Posted Jun 18, '11 at 12:53am

akqpars

akqpars

190 posts

i got ur tutorial,is it just educational?

Posted Jun 20, '11 at 12:23pm

FloydTC

FloydTC

2,851 posts

is it just educational?

no, its mandatory. you have to follow every rule in this guide or you will be banned permanently.

Posted May 29, '12 at 12:58am

T_Slice

T_Slice

40 posts

its informing but there is nothing to discuss which disappoints me

Posted Jul 12, '14 at 9:30am

themastaplaya

themastaplaya

660 posts

I have come to learn that in this forum here, the height of peoples' rhetoric is basically limited to them waiting for someone to post something with which they personally disagree, their throwing the noble word "logic" upon it, and their cramming their false fallacy template against it. By quoting a few lines from the previous person's post and typing a few remarks (usually sarcastic and horridly tainted with bias), this person of great logical wisdom and learned insight will "refute" what that person has said for the sole purpose of justifying their own neurotic personal beliefs.

That's the rhetoric of this forum, boys and girls. Enjoy!

Posted Jul 12, '14 at 11:20am

09philj

09philj

1,111 posts

@mastaplaya

At least we aren't as bad as US politicians.

A chair as talked about in a campaign speech by any US politician, who I have yet to see actually promise anything during an election campaign.  (Content by satirist Armando Iannucci):

This chair can take your weight. This chair can hold your buttocks, 15 inches in the air. This chair, this wooden chair, can support the *** of the white man or the crack of the black man, take the downward pressure of a Jewish girl's behind or the butt of a Buddhist adolescent, it can provide comfort for Muslim buns or Mormon backsides, the withered rump of an unemployed man in Nevada struggling to get his kids through high school and needful of a place to sit and think, the plump can of a single mum in Florida desperately struggling to make ends meet but who can no longer face standing, this chair, made from wood felled from the tallest redwood in Chicago, this chair, if only we believed in it, could sustain America's huddled arse.

which is the opposite of how UK politicians operate:

'We intend to provide a chair, which, over the next five-year period, will guarantee stability for anyone who sat on it.' 'We will introduce the most sweeping measures yet to ensure that all four chair legs are of exactly the same length and we will measure every leg on the chair twice a year and place those results in national chair-leg database.' 'We will stop other people coming over to use the chair before us.'

And then fail to deliver any of that.

Posted Jul 12, '14 at 3:04pm

FishPreferred

FishPreferred

1,546 posts

By quoting a few lines from the previous person's post and typing a few remarks (usually sarcastic and horridly tainted with bias), this person of great logical wisdom and learned insight will "refute" what that person has said for the sole purpose of justifying their own neurotic personal beliefs.

That's the rhetoric of this forum, boys and girls. Enjoy!

Did you actually read this thread? You've got the terms all mixed up. Refuting a claim is not rhetoric, nor need it even contain rhetoric, nor is rhetoric in any way related to logic, nor is the word 'logic' commonly used in rhetoric.

You've made a similar statement in the logic thread, but I have yet to see so much as a hypothetical example of this rampant epidemic. I'd like to know just how many times (as well as when and by whom) your arguments have been refuted by somebody saying "Your opinion is wrong, because logic".

Posted Jul 12, '14 at 5:48pm

09philj

09philj

1,111 posts

@themastaplaya

See above post, which I accidentally @ linked to the wrong account.

Posted Jul 14, '14 at 1:29am

themastaplaya

themastaplaya

660 posts

09philj...stop these freaking US vs UK bs comments! I made no mention at all of the US or the UK in my previous posts, so why do you keep bringing it up? You did nothing to refute my statements in my previous post. You only attempted to distract everyone by making an arbitrary post which contained a quote with offensive (and distracting) content. If your rhetorical skills lay on the level of "Yeah, but at least...hey, hey! look how bad Americans are!", go back to your cramped flat and stop using the internet to post ridiculous, senseless comments on website's forums.

Bty, Fish, I can refute all that you said with these words: Not all presumed logic is such, but rather a wolf in sheep's clothing if you understand.

Posted Jul 14, '14 at 12:28pm

FishPreferred

FishPreferred

1,546 posts

Bty, Fish, I can refute all that you said with these words: Not all presumed logic is such, but rather a wolf in sheep's clothing if you understand.

I see rhetoric, but no refutation. Not even so much as an answer to my closing statement.

Reply to An Introduction to Rhetoric

You must be logged in to post a reply!