ForumsProgramming ForumAGame: theme

54 19929
beech
beech
107 posts
Nomad

Alright folks - here we go!

it seems that interest in doing a project like this is there, but it will take more time to get others involved and truly get this moving, so i suggest we move on into areas that are more interesting and participatory.

so far members that have voiced interest are as follows:

gaboloth
Darkroot
driejen
theBester5
PixelSmash
Hectichermit
Plasmafish
wildwolf111

after typing that out, it seems we have a pretty good start!

so onward! let's talk game type: gaboloth has already listed a few examples in the "initialize" thread and tends toward a shooter genre.

let's do something similar here - if you a have favorite game type or style let's talk about them here - when we've discussed this for a while we'll tally the types and then the narrow focus.

let's also refrain from listing too many games them selves - there are hundred or even thousands of 'shooters' out there so let's not try to list them all - but a single 'favorite would be fine - let's save the 'comparison' lists for later after having narrow down the type to focus on.

begin... LOL

• 54 Replies
beech
beech
107 posts
Nomad

LOL - ok guys this is great that you want to be a part of this

but this thread is meant to be a forum for discussing the game genre - let's try to stick to the topic

- i will open a thread for general communication QA

Thomas1st2
Thomas1st2
1,943 posts
Peasant

Hmmm either a RPG game or a zombie game, and in the RPG everyones story is diffrent as you can pick to do diffrent things making your story diffrent

WhitePerson
WhitePerson
21 posts
Nomad

Hmmm either a RPG game or a zombie game, and in the RPG everyones story is diffrent as you can pick to do diffrent things making your story diffrent

This is quite good.

However, we(im saying we, its ok eh?) also can make a side-scroller game which everyone may contribute with their own character, enemies, levels, ideas, etc...

Or we can go crazy and do something totally different .
4 posts
Nomad

I would like to be apart of this group and I want to vote for a rpg type game I no very little of scripting but I have taken some classes in charcter and storyline developement.

mikecranbo
mikecranbo
45 posts
Nomad

@Beech i made a forum for this group
[url=http://programing.americantalk.net/]

beech
beech
107 posts
Nomad

good job everyone

so it seems that generally, some form of RPG is in the lead - i like some of the basic ideas here on 'mixing' the genre with other popular mechanics, this creates something new and different

there are many other popular types though that have yet to be mentioned, like: physics, tilty, driving, etc.

keep it up guys

@mike - cool, but part of the concept of this project is to keep the information here at AG - the reason is to fulfill a need for game building information, participation and experience that is constantly being asked for on this forum - i feel that if we move discussion to somewhere other than AG, we are taking the group 'away' from here and less AG users will benefit, and that is not the intent - thanks for setting that up, and perhaps there will be need/use for it in the future.

Dante92
Dante92
70 posts
Jester

So my question:

Why kind of RPG?

Like Sonny, no movement, story based

Or

Like Chibi Knight, with movement, less story, more features and gameplay

I would like to make 2nd one cuz it makes more fun in my opinion. Have not even played through Sonny 2 cuz it was lame..

If second then with:

- Level ups
- Different Classes
- Huge amount of skills (like 8 or more for each class with upgrading those skills)
- Quests
- Stores
- Potions (HP, Mana, EXP (perhaps speed, attack damage and so.. you know)
- Bosses

So.. which of these points is not realiseable?

I would like to see a game like castle crashes. It doesn't need to have a 3D area. I mean with moving up to the screen and so. Sidescroll is great too and I think it's easier to make.. perhaps ? ^^

Dante92
Dante92
70 posts
Jester

Which kind, not why kind... we need an editbutton here <.<

gaboloth
gaboloth
1,613 posts
Peasant

Have not even played through Sonny 2 cuz it was lame..

Haha... totally agreed. It's hard to find someone that don't begin to yell "WHOA DAT IS AWSOMESAUCE" as soon as you say "sonny" XD... I hate sonny.

and of course, I'd like it to be an action RPG too. Better if it's a shooting RPG, not a close combat one, because they are more likely to suck in my opinion.
But however a good story is always good, also because everyone can write one.
Darkroot
Darkroot
2,763 posts
Peasant

Have not even played through Sonny 2 cuz it was lame.

Haha... totally agreed. It's hard to find someone that don't begin to yell "WHOA DAT IS AWSOMESAUCE" as soon as you say "sonny" XD... I hate sonny.

No explanation, it sucks because its sucks?

Like Sonny, no movement, story based

Like Chibi Knight, with movement, less story, more features and gameplay

For our purposes it which one is harder to make? If everyone whats to make the most complicated game they can think of and then decides that they don't want to help make it because it's hard to make then it's better off to do an easier one.

and of course, I'd like it to be an action RPG too. Better if it's a shooting RPG, not a close combat one, because they are more likely to suck in my opinion.

Why shooting? Shooting because you just like shooting or shooting because it will actually add to the gameplay in some important way. Where not making cod here, not the point.

Also why does close combat suck? What is your definition of suck? Not good design talk to say thing sucks because they suck. You have to have legitimate reasons are your points a null and don't help the progression along.

But however a good story is always good, also because everyone can write one.

Correction everyone thinks they can write one but only a few people do. Just because you know how to do something doesn't make you awesome at it right away.
gaboloth
gaboloth
1,613 posts
Peasant

Ok, ok, explanations time.

No explanation, it sucks because its sucks?

It's just me. It's too slow for my likes. I prefer fast paced games. Also, the huge character customization. Most people like it, but when I play a game, I like to test every strategy, every way, every item combination. That's really too much for me. When I see sonnky's skills I think "hey, I'm never getting all these skills" and I give up.
However, I'm not saying I don't want to make a game like it, since 95% of people like it.
Why shooting? (...)
Also why does close combat suck? (...)

Well, I think it's much harder to make a close combat game challenging. Of course there are awesome ones like amorphous +, but most time it ends with the player just swinging the sword like crazy. Shooting, you have to aim at least, so a bit of challenge is certain.
For our purposes it which one is harder to make? If everyone whats to make the most complicated game they can think of and then decides that they don't want to help make it because it's hard to make then it's better off to do an easier one.

I'm not sure. The action one will have a lot of hit testing and probably much more objects to manage, but a sonny-like one will have a quite complex AI, if we don't want the game to be super easy. I'm trusting you and beech here.
Dante92
Dante92
70 posts
Jester

That's the point. I don't know anything about scripting and coding... that is why you need to tell us which will be harder to make.

beech
beech
107 posts
Nomad

in a *brainstorming* session, try not to limit your ideas by what will be 'too hard' right now - we can always cut back on things that are out of the realm of possibility later on down the road - although keep in mind that we are using the Flash platform to build a casual game, and not a console or PC game.

the idea here is to learn about this stuff, and doing it together will make things easier - just think outside the box right now - part of a successful game is one that is new and creative, yet incorporates elements of other games that are well liked.

Dante92
Dante92
70 posts
Jester

I just need to know one thing:

WILL the game be made? Do you have the knowledge for this? Or are you just "some kids that are on a hype" ? (bit exaggerated formulation)

I don't want to waste my time in brainstorming, collecting ideas and posting them here if you are going to say sth like "hey guys im bored of this, im off" next day(s)/week(s)

Are you seriously doing this ?

beech
beech
107 posts
Nomad

the intent is that it will be - part of the concept is to gather the many people who express the desire to make games here, to then focus on a target project, and work on it's different aspects, while learning 'how' to do these things, all of this over time - it's possible that we could narrow focus sooner, and complete the process more quickly then i would have expected initially - i thought there would be a larger interest, although i suspect a few lurkers are watching.

right now we are just getting started, first step is to choose a genre, before defining just what direction the group would like to pursue - we are still in the early planning phase, in fact this is only the second thread.

but i understand your concern, it is entirely valid, and it is certainly possible that this goes nowhere, and interest wains - it was merely my attempt to pull together some of the people here to do what they would like to do - make a game - while helping to teach some of the programming that is needed - and to give people some real world experience

"Do you have the knowledge for this?" - yes. i have been a full-time professional developer for 4 years, and a 25 year professional artist. but i will not be building the game, i have commitments to attend to - only guiding the process and helping solve problems. the concept is to build a collaborative atmosphere here among users, and focus the desire to do this together - the concept is more than just a small group of people, rather the entire community - it's an open source project - check out the 'initialize' thread for more information on startup - you'll find it on my profile.

Showing 16-30 of 54