ForumsWEPRWhat's with the Gas Prices?!

172 29445
Beast_all_games
Beast_all_games
64 posts
Nomad

Well I know most of us are children right now, playing on this website, but as we get older the gas prices tend to increase. I don't even want to think about how much gas is gonna be when I turn 20!

• 172 Replies
armorkas
armorkas
396 posts
Nomad

We have to buy it for really expensive from the Middle-east because all these environmentalists won't let us dig in Alaska because we way hurt the polar bears. I don't really care about polar bears, but whatever. We also need it shipped over-seas probably, which would increase the price even more.

xFACERIPx
xFACERIPx
39 posts
Nomad

you are totally right. along with gas that we have in alaska we also have a huge oil field in north carolina that would produce hundreds of millions of barrels of oil a year. not to mention all the oil fields underneath the ocean floor in the gulf of mexico. did you know that the united states hasn't drilled or made new oil well on our own soil for over 30 years?! to me that's insane. if we drilled on our own soil the price of gas(and many other commodities) would plumit.

Metalheadbob
Metalheadbob
95 posts
Nomad

Well the problem is we are running out of it i think we have like 20 years left.
So gas prices wont go down ever.

Skipper8656568
Skipper8656568
324 posts
Peasant

I think it also meat that is raising prices youd be surprised.

Strategy_guy
Strategy_guy
290 posts
Nomad

Skipper you are actually correct in a way. The machines we use to get the meat into a way to use it uses gas the packiging and shipping of meat is also another use of oil but we use about the same amount of gas on the things I just metioned with plant products.

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

Getting back on topic.

@ King: Getting a job to solve rising gas prices = irrelevant. Labor market issues are one thing, gas prices being subject to availiability, market flow and power distribution, and the issue of peak oil, are all rapidly coming to a head.

Gas prices rising are merely the tip of an iceberg. The fact is that refined oil is a fossil fuel: it is derived from the byproducts of decomposing fossils subject to millions of years of pressure from built up sediment.

On average the production of fossil fuel is enough to power one petrol motor for one day, every one year. We extract it at a rate of several billion times this per day. So naturally that's why we call it a non-sustainable resource.

As for the labor market, minimum wage rising to compensate is generally linked to cost of living. That petrol prices are rising disproportionately means that the average cost of living is also rising. Given the implications of the credit crunch, the risk of recession brings with it the risk of a shrinking labor market, so good luck getting a job, for that matter.

Besides, as I see it, the US job application process is already highly variable, but generally full of BS multi-staged screening processes that separate various levels of dregs on arbitrary criteria. A bit icky and a lot more inefficient if you ask me.

@ DragonMistress: noooo don't get a hybrid. They're actually ultimately worse for your wallet and don't really do much for the environment except as a status symbol. I'd stick to getting very fuel-efficient cars and holding out for better electrical car infrastructure, or else even for hydrogen fuel-cell technology to become mainstream.

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

Gas prices are dependent on a number of things- availiability at source, shipping and transport prices, tariffs, and internal market conditions to name a few. So it will vary from place to place.

It's best to note your own locality's fuel price trends and compare them to the price of other goods, as well as against the inflation rates of the economy of the country. For example, 10 years ago, I would expect to pay 0.60AUD for 1L of 92-octane petrol (or $2.52 for the gallon). Now, I have to fork out 1.50AUD for the same.

This is highly disproportionatem even accounting for internal inflation! Some claim that the prices have been artificially inflated even after accounting for OPEC guidelines, but I'm no economist so I can't tell this. Whatever it is, the international prices for oil (per barrel) have also risen sharply...consider here market flow due to the political and economic concerns of the oil companies themselves.

Calm
Calm
908 posts
Herald

I just cleaned this topic. i'll leave it open if the discussion continues in an intelligent way. No more spamming please.

kingofgames
kingofgames
610 posts
Farmer

well the pricez are rising because the oil gets less btu i thought we just found a new oil place at brazil? so why teh prize does not sink?

Calm
Calm
908 posts
Herald

The countries that produce oil don't want the prizes to sink, so they restrain their production, so that the offer keeps lower than the demand.

Ichibon
Ichibon
136 posts
Peasant

Well I know most of us are children right now, playing on this website, but as we get older the gas prices tend to increase. I don't even want to think about how much gas is gonna be when I turn 20!

Gas prices are rising not because of supply and demand, but also becasut the prices and shieks that own the oil fields that we buy our gas from are raising the prices due to us being over in Iraq.

There was a news report on Fox a few days ago that reported a prince was threatening to raise the price per barrel to $2.00. That would mean $4.00/gallon for us. He said that he wouldn't as long as we began to pull our troops out.

Now the problem for us is that if McCain gets into office next year, he has already said that he wants to keep over there 'as long as it takes'. If that happens, it will have a multi fold affect.
1) Gas prices wil raise even higher
2) We will be in even depper debt to the reserve banks
3) More of my friends and fellow military commrade will be, well,... I'm gonna leave that alone.

Gas prices are bad and all, but, it is only one of many problems caused by us not being pulled out Iraq 3 years ago.
I mean, I have had 7 shipmates that I went through boot camp with die since I joined the NAVY 2 1/2 years ago. Forget gas prices, just we need our people outta there.

baseballfamer123
baseballfamer123
321 posts
Nomad

gas prices are crazy and unbelieveable. they should lower them by ALOT. Go back to 1.85

Eshploded
Eshploded
469 posts
Nomad

I'm pretty sure one big factor on the rising gas prices is Oil companies taking advantage of us. We know that we can't stop buying gas, and they know it too. Why wouldn't they do it?

Giantduck
Giantduck
14 posts
Nomad

they are high

csmith995
csmith995
42 posts
Nomad

the countries who make the most oil are actually able to choose the price of oil if you had a bunch of oil and could make more money by increasing the price what would you do.

i think we should stop them and lower the price

Showing 16-30 of 172