ForumsProgramming ForumAGame: RPG

162 57725
Thebester5
Thebester5
53 posts
Nomad

Ok, in the absence of Beech and Darkroot, I made this forum. Sorry guys, you just were taking to long. So, It seems like the main idea was for an RPG. I like that idea.

• 162 Replies
master565
master565
4,107 posts
Nomad

Im going to start as soon as i can (after i finish school work) and im going to start a new thread recruiting people once darkroot confirms this idea.

Also a few thing we need to establish.

any idea for a name?

How long is each game going to be?

will it be like wario ware inc and speed up?

Truthfully as long we can think up a menu and a transition between games, the name can come later.

Darkroot
Darkroot
2,763 posts
Peasant

If you want to continue on with this concept I would recommend you make another thread otherwise it will get confusing.

we can make another post recruiting programmers.

There isn't much of a point. All regulars that wanted to be in the project are here. I don't think anyone new will show up. If they do they will show up in your new thread.

If you do want to make this game there should be some rules that we have to agree on. The first one that comes to mind is that everything you make will have to be added to the stage from the library ( addChild(); ) and that the stage itself has to be clean. Otherwise each game will just pile more movieclips on top of each other.

Also we need to think of how we want the point/time scoring part to work.
gaboloth
gaboloth
1,613 posts
Peasant

Yup, there is time for the name
about the length of the games, it's a good question. It works both with fast games like 4 second frenzy and long puzzling games like omega enfo bla. I'd say, how about if we mix that? It would be fun, spending minutes in a hard puzzle, and then getting in a 4 second game and if we decide to change later, it won't be a big deal eliminate some games.
Unluckily, I haven't heard of wario ware or speed up. I'll google them. But tomorrow! It's midnight here

master565
master565
4,107 posts
Nomad

wario ware inc is the game 4 second frenzy was based off of and when i said speed up, i meant the games get faster at certain points in the game.

Darkroot, i feel like we should try to get more programmers because the more the merrier, but we probably need somewhere between 5-7 because that way if we each make around 5 games we can come with around 30+ games. So i feel we should finish the concept here or on a new thread then have a separate thread seeing if anyone else wants to help.

Also when ever i program i always use addchild because i find it simpler to have everything in the code and have a clean stage but can we have each game at a different frame on the timeline or will that not work?

Thebester5
Thebester5
53 posts
Nomad

yes darkroot. And to Master yes we do have a little amount of people, but they are active After we show our stuff, we will get lots of people

Also, the account AGame isnt advailable D:

master565
master565
4,107 posts
Nomad

We can make a new account (called something like communityGamers) that will be shared among all of us that started this and if we decide to make more games we can post all games to that and anyone who helps us with any of our projects we can just friend on that account (basically a community account run by us). I feel like if we make this account we can aim it towards new programmers (like me) who want to try to help making games.

Back to the game at hand, I'm suggesting the games be 5 seconds, each game won will let you continue, each game lost will lose one life. We'll decide the amount of lives after we see the difficulty. Depending on how many games we have, well either have them all in one game mode or we'll do what wario ware inc does (gabloloth look up the game) and have about 10-15 games followed by a boss level then you'll unlock another mode with 10-15 more games followed by a new boss level. Each game will only be played with arrow keys and a space bar (if we have a mouse and spacebar it will make games confusing).

For recruiting a few more programmers, we wont need more than 5 or 6 and we'll ask each of them to make around 5 games or more. They just need to make sure that...
1) the stage is empty
2) the game can tell if its been won or lost (preferably by a boolean)

As for menu's and the such, we'll create those later.

As for music, after were almost done we can go to the art, music, and writing forum and find someone who wants to make music for us (for free).

Also is there any where we can get a private forum that we can discuss the game with only people working on the project?

If there's anything i left out that needs to be decided or you disagree with anything i have said please leave a post so we can get started with recruiting and programming. Hopefully i can create a thread on armor games by tomorrow or thursday.

master565
master565
4,107 posts
Nomad

Also i didn't fully say this, if we do create an acount like this WE (meaning me, Thebester5, gaboloth, Darkroot, and MABEY dante92 if he stops telling us were going to fail) will share this acount (we all will know that password) and we will hopefully make more games with each other and more programmers who would like to help us.

Dante92
Dante92
70 posts
Jester

I have no idea how to code a game, that is your job. And since beech started the agame:theme thread I haven't seen any proceedings. Just dicuss and a bit brainstorming and so (cuz you didn't decide anything). But now you are starting what ist good. Tell me if you need some images, I will make them. Like background and so. I dont know how to implement them into a game, that is why I'm waiting on your instruction... like: What size? Important parts? Which color? Shape? Know what I mean?

plasmafish
plasmafish
252 posts
Nomad

Master565, how did this project change from a community making one game to 5-6 people making 5 games a piece?

master565
master565
4,107 posts
Nomad

Plasmafish, were recruiting people from the community and everyone can't possibly help so the people who stayed from the begining will run it and the others who want to help can. And if you read farther back, each of us are making 5-6 games a piece for a game like 4 second frenzy, so after were done one of us will compile them into one game.

And dante, i'm also pretty skilled with photoshop but if we need any images we'll tell you, thought these games tend to have simple art in the games and possibly better art in the menu. But in the games, working with pictures imported from photoshop (and other images in general) are annoying to work with because you either have to use them as a bitmap, which has a lot of limitations, or you have to do something called trace as symbol, which works better but doesn't look as great and can take a while.

plasmafish
plasmafish
252 posts
Nomad

Alright, I still don't understand if you mean levels or games.

Four second frenzy was more like levels instead of individual games IMO. Put one together yourself and set an example for everyone else to follow. Show us what one of these "games" will be like from your perspective.

I could do 5-6 levels from 4 second frenzy in an hour, but I don't know if a game like that will really help the community. That type of project seems like a quick fun thing instead of a full learning experience of how to build a complete game.

gaboloth
gaboloth
1,613 posts
Peasant

indeed, this is just a 'test' waiting for beech to come back. we thought it can be useful to start working together a bit, just to get used. this is not replacing the big RPG, I think.

also, if we want to have a time bar, a life bar or something, it would be useful to extend a generic class, probably. or we can use a clip with them, and add the lavels/minigames clips as childs of the lifebar and timebar clip.

Dante92
Dante92
70 posts
Jester

"waiting for beech to come back"... why do you say this all the time? I don't think that he will ever come back. Let's do it on our own.

master565
master565
4,107 posts
Nomad

I agree with Dante that we should stop waiting for beech, and a time bar as a class does seem like a good idea.

But this can be a full game, if we can make a game like four second frenzy, it shouldn't be too difficult. The RPG idea is extremely complicated and we weren't getting anything done. If you want to know what idea i had in mind, go here and skip to around 0:55 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwuIppePgMM

If we can compile around 40-50 (just making a number) games like the ones in that video, we can get a good game going that has good potential.

master565
master565
4,107 posts
Nomad

I kind of want darkroot's decision on wether or not we should make a full game with this, or try to continue the RPG.

Showing 46-60 of 162