General Science Discussion

Posted Apr 8, '11 at 12:56am

MageGrayWolf

MageGrayWolf

9,676 posts

Knight

Aw, link fail, sorry I was rushing... :l
Fixed link

I'm still calling bull. This link doesn't state that the man regrew his finger from the treatment only that it was tested. I also find it odd that there seems to be nothing about this amazing breakthrough past 2008 suggesting this was abandoned as a failure.

The "pixie dust" was tested and found it wasn't what the claims said it was.
"The powder was mostly collagen and a variety of substances, without any pig cells, said Dr Stephen Badylak, a regeneration researcher at the University of Pittsburgh and scientific adviser to ACell."
http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2008/ … nger.claim

Also if this treatment worked then why wasn't it used on the rest of him? Here's a resent interview with the soldier being treated.
You can see around 12:52 and 22:42 of the video he raises the hand they used the "pixie dust" on and the finger is still missing.
Warriors in Transition: A Story of Resilience - SSG Shilo Harris and Kathreyn Harris
And an image of him from a year later from the experiment, have a look at the hand holding the paper.
http://www.rftwsr-2009.us/images/Day%204-5-16/Selected/DSC04576.JPG

Posted Apr 8, '11 at 11:53am

MageGrayWolf

MageGrayWolf

9,676 posts

Knight

How we can generate body parts.
Our DNA contains the information for our entire body. If we could better decode that information then we could use it to go in and piece out the part for say a finger. We then use that information to instruct stem cells to grow into that finger. From there we would have a body part that can be reattached surgically and would suffer zero rejection, since as far as the rest of the body is concerned it would be the old finger.
We can do this with body parts that are not functioning properly due to genetic defects as well. We would simply have to correct the defect while growing the part.

Posted Apr 8, '11 at 3:20pm

Dragonblaze052

Dragonblaze052

1,599 posts

I think they are doing that and growing the human part on the back of a rat. I've heard something about them doing it with human ears.

Posted Apr 8, '11 at 4:28pm

MageGrayWolf

MageGrayWolf

9,676 posts

Knight

I think they are doing that and growing the human part on the back of a rat. I've heard something about them doing it with human ears.

I saw a picture of one of those rats today. Weird looking.

Posted Apr 8, '11 at 6:11pm

Dragonblaze052

Dragonblaze052

1,599 posts

Think that that method will ever become widespread?

Posted Apr 8, '11 at 6:15pm

MRWalker82

MRWalker82

3,874 posts

Think that that method will ever become widespread?

Until such a time as we can do more advanced procedures it probably will. I am thinking, though, that if we can overcome the 'moral' opposition to cloning and stem cells that those methods will become the prefered and common method of repairing extensive damage to the human body. Until then we'll just have to grow ears and noses on the backs of rats.

Posted Apr 8, '11 at 6:20pm

Dragonblaze052

Dragonblaze052

1,599 posts

Morality will always exist, corrupt or not. Chances are, stem cells and cloning will be looked down upon for a good while.

Posted Apr 8, '11 at 6:26pm

MRWalker82

MRWalker82

3,874 posts

Morality will always exist, corrupt or not. Chances are, stem cells and cloning will be looked down upon for a good while.

Oh I agree, what I meant by the 'moral' opposition is that until such time as people realize that it is more beneficial to humankind to pursue such methods of research then we are stuck with rats and the like. I'm hoping, though, that this opposition falls by the wayside relatively quickly. There is so much promise in these lines of research that I would hate for us to have to continue to wait on cures for numerous conditions simply because someone's superstition thinks it's 'bad'.

Posted Apr 8, '11 at 6:30pm

Dragonblaze052

Dragonblaze052

1,599 posts

I agree completely. We claim a sepperation of church and state, yet the state still abides by faith. My town is run by the churches in all but name.

Posted Apr 8, '11 at 6:35pm

SupaLegit

SupaLegit

651 posts

There is so much promise in these lines of research that I would hate for us to have to continue to wait on cures for numerous conditions simply because someone's superstition thinks it's 'bad'.

Sigh, that's how I fell too :(
People need to just look at it from our side. So you want your friend, brother, sister, or parent to die because some moron said "No, that is bad"!?

More good than badw ill come out of research into this field, face it people. >.> Let us do as we please, then let us save your dang life someday!

Reply to General Science Discussion

You must be logged in to post a reply!