ForumsThe TavernGeneral Science Discussion

1019 157106
SupaLegit
SupaLegit
644 posts
Nomad

Well, I was searching to see if this was already made, but the searches didn't show a thread with my idea so here it is. I am making this thread so we can have a typical tavern discussion thread for all things science! Basically, a thread for everything science! Ranging from discussions about laws and theories, scientific debate, breakthroughs, discussion about new scientific breakthroughs, certain scientists/philosophers, and all that good stuff!
So go out there and let out your inner science! ;P
To get us going somewhere I'll start: what do you think the future holds for technology? I think our knowledge will allow us to overcome the obstacles thrown at us in the future, I mean, we have discovered so much and have come so far!

• 1,019 Replies
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

How we can generate body parts.
Our DNA contains the information for our entire body. If we could better decode that information then we could use it to go in and piece out the part for say a finger. We then use that information to instruct stem cells to grow into that finger. From there we would have a body part that can be reattached surgically and would suffer zero rejection, since as far as the rest of the body is concerned it would be the old finger.
We can do this with body parts that are not functioning properly due to genetic defects as well. We would simply have to correct the defect while growing the part.

Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

I think they are doing that and growing the human part on the back of a rat. I've heard something about them doing it with human ears.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

I think they are doing that and growing the human part on the back of a rat. I've heard something about them doing it with human ears.

I saw a picture of one of those rats today. Weird looking.
Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

Think that that method will ever become widespread?

MRWalker82
MRWalker82
4,005 posts
Shepherd

Think that that method will ever become widespread?

Until such a time as we can do more advanced procedures it probably will. I am thinking, though, that if we can overcome the 'moral' opposition to cloning and stem cells that those methods will become the prefered and common method of repairing extensive damage to the human body. Until then we'll just have to grow ears and noses on the backs of rats.
Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

Morality will always exist, corrupt or not. Chances are, stem cells and cloning will be looked down upon for a good while.

MRWalker82
MRWalker82
4,005 posts
Shepherd

Morality will always exist, corrupt or not. Chances are, stem cells and cloning will be looked down upon for a good while.

Oh I agree, what I meant by the 'moral' opposition is that until such time as people realize that it is more beneficial to humankind to pursue such methods of research then we are stuck with rats and the like. I'm hoping, though, that this opposition falls by the wayside relatively quickly. There is so much promise in these lines of research that I would hate for us to have to continue to wait on cures for numerous conditions simply because someone's superstition thinks it's 'bad'.
Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

I agree completely. We claim a sepperation of church and state, yet the state still abides by faith. My town is run by the churches in all but name.

SupaLegit
SupaLegit
644 posts
Nomad

There is so much promise in these lines of research that I would hate for us to have to continue to wait on cures for numerous conditions simply because someone's superstition thinks it's 'bad'.

Sigh, that's how I fell too
People need to just look at it from our side. So you want your friend, brother, sister, or parent to die because some moron said "No, that is bad"!?

More good than badw ill come out of research into this field, face it people. >.> Let us do as we please, then let us save your dang life someday!
SupaLegit
SupaLegit
644 posts
Nomad

We are discussing [limb] regeneration. Do you have a question?

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

It's about asthma. I have it and all, but do I have any chances of getting rid of it when I'm older?

Yes you do. I myself grew out of it.
SupaLegit
SupaLegit
644 posts
Nomad

Well, yes, you can always 'outgrow' asthma. The question is, are you one of those people?

To help reduce the risk of an attack, you may want to keep your room clean, exercise and be active (no matter how much it hurts, you have to do it!), and avoid things that may trigger your attacks.

Asthma can also be triggered by extreme climates (very hot, very cold).
Having a broncho dilator(inhaler) would be very smart, if you do not already have/use one.

SupaLegit
SupaLegit
644 posts
Nomad

Do you have to be active?(often?)

well, you should always be active, as to stay healthy. In the case of Asthma specifically, being active and playing sports increases your bodies tolerance and strength to cope with it.
The only activity that I can think of that may not be the best for asthma is scuba diving. You can't let Asthma slow you down in life, just like you can't let other disabilities slow you down!
SupaLegit
SupaLegit
644 posts
Nomad

I try not to use my inhaler. But some times I feel like my lungs will burst, any other tips?

Use it if you have to, what good is it to injure yourself because you did not want to use something important?
As for tips, control your breathing patterns. For example, try inhaling through you nose twice, then exhale through your mouth twice. This will let in more air at a time, lessening your struggles. Also, if you are without and inhaler, inhale deeply through your nose, hold it, and then exhale and repeat. The goal is to slow down your breathing. You may also find that sitting down, with your feet touching, and elbows pressed against your knees (like sitting criss-cross, without crossing them). I have a friend with Asthma, and this is what he does to manage. Oh, he is VERY active, just like me, and he hasn't had any major problems in a long time. Just the occasional lack of breath.
Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

Putting your hands on the back of your head also helps your breathing.

Showing 331-345 of 1019