ForumsThe TavernGeneral Science Discussion

1019 156893
SupaLegit
SupaLegit
644 posts
Nomad

Well, I was searching to see if this was already made, but the searches didn't show a thread with my idea so here it is. I am making this thread so we can have a typical tavern discussion thread for all things science! Basically, a thread for everything science! Ranging from discussions about laws and theories, scientific debate, breakthroughs, discussion about new scientific breakthroughs, certain scientists/philosophers, and all that good stuff!
So go out there and let out your inner science! ;P
To get us going somewhere I'll start: what do you think the future holds for technology? I think our knowledge will allow us to overcome the obstacles thrown at us in the future, I mean, we have discovered so much and have come so far!

• 1,019 Replies
Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

Here's what Calvin's picture is saying:

If mistakes are not recognized, it's not science.
If mistakes are not corrected, it's really bad science.
If mistakes are not made, it's bad science.
If mistakes are made, recognized, and corrected, it's good science.

Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

Scientific developement is just a series of "Ohh, what does this do?" "Oops!" and "I bet you won't _______!"

Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

No no no, its a series of "if i put (highly explosive material) with (substance that will set off the explosive) together, what will happen?"

Tick tick tick...KABOOM!!!

"all in the name of science"

Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

That would be able to fit in any of my categories.........

How EXACTLY does magnetism work. I understand what it does and how it's made and all, but it makes no sense whatsoever as to how it works.

Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

Heres an idea: dont ask questions that you wont get a good answer to, and probably never will.

Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

Forger, you will be suprised. Supa and Mage are incredibly knowledgeable on stuff like this and I'm far from stupid. Chances are, I will get a good answer.

Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

Why would you say that? They've answered a good many questions before.

Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

Why, in the name of the Builder, dont you just GOOGLE IT!!!!

Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

Because nearly every site explains it like I'm five or only explains the parts I already know. Supa and Mage are far more reliable.

Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

How? surely it is easier to understand the 5-year-old way? and how could you not know about such a basic principle? electro-magnetism is far more challenging.

Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

I understand the before and after of magnetism, but I have no clue about the during.
I hate being talked to like a child. It's very demeaning.
I find electromagnetism much simpler.

SupaLegit
SupaLegit
644 posts
Nomad

Stop fricking bickering! I come home from practice to see that my thread is a pointless argument!? >.>

I'm not a lazy couch potato, I'm an active sports player... That's where I disappear to.

Magnetism: property of materials in which they respond at an atomic or subatomic level to an applied magnetic field.

Now in English: the force where objects are attracted or repelled to one another.

Now, what exactly do we want? electromagnetism, magnets?

Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

well, thats a start. i hope...

SupaLegit
SupaLegit
644 posts
Nomad

Master, do you have a problem with either dragon or me?

It is a start, briefing (like in the military) now, I get my specific question, then I explain. Please contribute positively if you wish to be a part of this thread, this isn't a place to argue and make sarcastic and/or hurtful comments. Don't tell another user not to ask a question, thinking that I won't care, yet alone one of my friends. Thank you...

Now magnetic fields:
-A magnetic field consists of imaginary lines of flux coming from moving or spinning electrically charged particles.
-What a magnetic field actually consists of is somewhat of a mystery, but we do know it is a special property of space.

If I understand your question, you want to know what is happening during, correct?

Well, either attraction or repelling, in short.

Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

But how does it exert the ranged force? It seems to defy logic as to the attraction of opposite poles.

Showing 361-375 of 1019