ForumsThe TavernGeneral Science Discussion

1019 156867
SupaLegit
SupaLegit
644 posts
Nomad

Well, I was searching to see if this was already made, but the searches didn't show a thread with my idea so here it is. I am making this thread so we can have a typical tavern discussion thread for all things science! Basically, a thread for everything science! Ranging from discussions about laws and theories, scientific debate, breakthroughs, discussion about new scientific breakthroughs, certain scientists/philosophers, and all that good stuff!
So go out there and let out your inner science! ;P
To get us going somewhere I'll start: what do you think the future holds for technology? I think our knowledge will allow us to overcome the obstacles thrown at us in the future, I mean, we have discovered so much and have come so far!

• 1,019 Replies
Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

But these are tree dwellers, remember? They will be fighting in a tree. If one gets knocked out of the tree, the boned one will suffer much greater injury and a likely death.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

But these are tree dwellers, remember? They will be fighting in a tree. If one gets knocked out of the tree, the boned one will suffer much greater injury and a likely death.

Not necessarily, the tougher skeleton could protect the internal organ better. From wht we have seen of skeletal evolution is they become tougher on land to provide better structural support compensating fort he support that had living in the water.
Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

This isn't soft collagen, it is more structured and supportive and integrates ribbing and bracing. The body cavities will be filled with a webwork of structural connections and bracings.

pratchu
pratchu
493 posts
Nomad

i would like an accurate explanation of the genetic chemical deoxyribonucleicacid.

Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

And what do you want to know about DNA?

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Can anyone see us having space colonies or being a two planet species before 2100?

Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

Possibly. I think there is little need for it if we would just stop promoting such overpopulation, but this isn't WEPR.

It will be atleast 20 years before we start building extraterrestrially.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Dna now? or building a new "Earth"?

We can till talk about DNA I just brought this up so we had something to talk about while we waited for Dragonblaze's question to be answered.

What about gravitation? do trees help with that too?

No not really, that would be a draw back to moving to another planet. Though on a space colony we could produce gravity through centrifugal force by rotating the entire structure.
Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

Not really. Venus has an atmosphere of mainly CO2. If we seeded it with O2 producing extremophiles...

Paarfam
Paarfam
1,558 posts
Nomad

What about gravitation? do trees help with that too?

Absolutely not. Gravity originates from a rotating object. Theoretically, all things have at least some sort of gravitational force, moving or not, big or small. Of course gravity is completely theoretical and there is very little evidence outside our solar system to prove it.
Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

Paarfam, gravity has absolutely nothing to do with rotation and evidence of it is everywhere.

Paarfam
Paarfam
1,558 posts
Nomad

This proves that gravity originates from relative rotations from two masses.

evidence of it is everywhere.

I didn't say there wasn't. I said there was very little outside our solar system.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Venus has an atmosphere of mainly CO2. If we seeded it with O2 producing extremophiles...

Terraforming Venus? I will have to look into that possibility more.

Absolutely not. Gravity originates from a rotating object.

We see more gravity as the result of mass.

Of course gravity is completely theoretical and there is very little evidence outside our solar system to prove it.

Gravity is also a law. And we have plenty of evidence outside of our solar system of effects from gravity. For example the wobble of stars that are used to detect extrasolar planets is the result of gravitational forces.
Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

You misread. That said gravity is caused by mass. What it said about rotating bodies is the example Mage just gave.

Paarfam
Paarfam
1,558 posts
Nomad

We see more gravity as the result of mass.

...masses' relation to each other, right?
Gravity is also a law. And we have plenty of evidence outside of our solar system of effects from gravity. For example the wobble of stars that are used to detect extrasolar planets is the result of gravitational forces.

Maybe I should clarify myself. Eh... Not now, I can't figure out a way at the moment and I'm starved.
Showing 631-645 of 1019