ForumsThe TavernGeneral Science Discussion

1019 156870
SupaLegit
SupaLegit
644 posts
Nomad

Well, I was searching to see if this was already made, but the searches didn't show a thread with my idea so here it is. I am making this thread so we can have a typical tavern discussion thread for all things science! Basically, a thread for everything science! Ranging from discussions about laws and theories, scientific debate, breakthroughs, discussion about new scientific breakthroughs, certain scientists/philosophers, and all that good stuff!
So go out there and let out your inner science! ;P
To get us going somewhere I'll start: what do you think the future holds for technology? I think our knowledge will allow us to overcome the obstacles thrown at us in the future, I mean, we have discovered so much and have come so far!

• 1,019 Replies
Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

The reason that joints are such a liabilty is the presence of bones. As long as it stays flexible cartilige there would be no problems. It could thicken and toughen alot without hindering it, effectively forming a rubber skeleton. It would be flexible, durable, light and protective.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

The reason that joints are such a liabilty is the presence of bones. As long as it stays flexible cartilige there would be no problems. It could thicken and toughen alot without hindering it, effectively forming a rubber skeleton. It would be flexible, durable, light and protective.

Well one way you can get bone is if cartilage calcifies.
Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

Calcification is almost always bad, but that would be terrible.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Calcification is almost always bad, but that would be terrible.

One idea was that bone came about as a means for the body to store calcium resulting in the calcification of cartilage.
Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

Calcium can be stored in other ways that leave the body flexible.

indie55
indie55
610 posts
Nomad

Calcium can be stored in other ways that leave the body flexible.

Examples? plz
Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

Thin veins of matterial, just like it is in nature. It will be thin enough to bend and decentralized enough to protect from loss of calcoum due to a severed body part.

dair5
dair5
3,379 posts
Shepherd

Hmm... What about the people who are abnormaly flexible. And even so with enough practice almost anyone can be flexible. you'd be surprised.

Paarfam
Paarfam
1,558 posts
Nomad

And even so with enough practice almost anyone can be flexible. you'd be surprised.

Notice the word "almost" in there. I hope you pondered the fact that after years of painful experience and permanent damage tour body that you can lose the ability to gain flexibility. You can always gain it back, of course, but it gets much more difficult.
dair5
dair5
3,379 posts
Shepherd

Well in the case of survival i'm sure that the animal will be more then willing to.

Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

But will it be able?

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Hmm... What about the people who are abnormaly flexible. And even so with enough practice almost anyone can be flexible. you'd be surprised.

Hypermobility can be the result of a number of things. Many of which is a trade off.

from wiki
-Misaligned joints
-Abnormally shaped ends of one or more bones at a joint
-A Type 1 collagen or other connective tissue defect (found in Ehlers-Danlos syndrome, Marfan syndrome) resulting in weakened ligaments, muscles and tendons. This same defect also results in weakened bones, which may result in osteoporosis and fractures
-Abnormal joint proprioception (an impaired ability to determine where in space parts of the body are, and how stretched a joint is)
Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

-Misaligned joints
-Abnormally shaped ends of one or more bones at a joint
-A Type 1 collagen or other connective tissue defect (found in Ehlers-Danlos syndrome, Marfan syndrome) resulting in weakened ligaments, muscles and tendons. This same defect also results in weakened bones, which may result in osteoporosis and fractures
-Abnormal joint proprioception (an impaired ability to determine where in space parts of the body are, and how stretched a joint is)

Collageneous skeletons would allow a greater mobility with lesser drawbacks.
dair5
dair5
3,379 posts
Shepherd

Well why don't we think of it like this. Two humans fighting. One has the Collageneous skeleton the other has a regular skeleton. Which one would win.

brp47
brp47
580 posts
Peasant

the regular skeleton.

because the collageneous skeleton is more easily damaged if its a cause of a bone defect like it is in some cases.

the human endo-skeleten has evolved over millions of years to be strong and sturdy, so if its got a deformity then it won't be as sturdy as the standard skeleton

Showing 616-630 of 1019