ForumsPopular Media"C.R.B.W.C." : the Classic Rock Bands World Cup!

797 345525
MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,746 posts
King

A lot of people have been asking me when the new edition of the 'CRBWC' would finally start (and I'm sorry it took me so long...), but I wanted to make the second edition even better and more fun than the first one!
(In case you wonder what the first one looked like: this is the 'CRBWC 2010'.)

After hours of fun (and stress!) in figuring out the new CRBWC schematics, the gathering of info on the participating bands and fabricating the additional pictures to it all, I'm proud of the final outcome and so, without further delay, let's kick off the 2011 edition of the

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5294/5529788999_de0e158858.jpg

Now, some changes have been made to the second edition of this competition, so reading the rules and guidelines is something everyone needs to do, even the voters from last year's edition are advised to...

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5097/5530376806_b698294b37.jpg

The format of this World Cup for Classical Rock Bands is based upon the organisation schematics of the Soccer World Cup. It has the same rules as the Soccer World Cup in terms of competitors proceeding through it, but it will follow a few rules of its own too.
Below is a short guide to elaborate the >binding rules< for this competition:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5220/5529789379_02f0090bc2_m.jpg

-The 'CRBWC' consist of a total of 24 rounds being presented one at a time.
-Each round will be open for voting for a maximum of 2 weeks or untill a band reaches the points limit.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5178/5529789643_2c342038b7.jpg

-Each user of ArmorGames who wants to give a vote has the possibility to vote only once per round.
-All votes given by users are obligated to consist of an elaborated reasoning as to 'why' you choose these two bands. Votes lacking a proper elaborated reasoning, for example: "I like them" or "They rule", will not be counted. Elaborate on why you like them and talk about them, that's the main goal of this competition!
-Different to last year's edition, this time each vote in the group stage of this competition will consist of naming a "First choice" with with a value of 3 points and a "Second choice" with a value of 1 point.
-You only get to vote for two bands in a group. NO double voting for a single band and/or NO voting for more than two bands per group. No exceptions will be made in this matter.
-If two bands reach the limit of 30 points at the same time, the band with the most "First choices" will be declared as the winner of that round.
-The rule explained above, also applies if two bands reach a similar point count for second place at the same time in the 'Group Stage'.
-If, for any reason, two bands reach the limit of 30 points simultaniously and both have an equal amount of first and second choices, the band getting it's 'winning vote' first will be declared the winner.
-Further rounds after the group stage will have a 1 point count for each vote given and an according 10 points limit. Rules for declaring a winner will be applied according to the group stage rules.
-No discussions about the ruling on the outcome of a round are allowed.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5133/5529789699_ba98e181f8.jpg

# THE GROUP STAGE:
-This stage will behold 8 different groups (A to H) consisting of 7 Classical Rock Bands to choose from.
-After closure, both the 'group winner' and the 'runner up' band will proceed to the knockout stage.
-All other remaining bands are eliminated from the competition.

THE KNOCKOUT STAGE:
-After completing the Group stage, the 'group winner' of the first group will be up against the 'runner up' of the second group. The 'group winner' of the second group will be up against the 'runner up' of the first group. This schedule will be followed for the rest of the groups, to clarify:
#1 Group A vs. #2 Group B (Winning band is called 'Winner I'
#1 Group B vs. #2 Group A (Winning band is called 'Winner II'
#1 Group C vs. #2 Group D (Winning band is called 'Winner III'
#1 Group D vs. #2 Group C (Winning band is called 'Winner IV'
#1 Group E vs. #2 Group F (Winning band is called 'Winner V'
#1 Group F vs. #2 Group E (Winning band is called 'Winner VI'
#1 Group G vs. #2 Group H (Winning band is called 'Winner VII'
#1 Group H vs. #2 Group G (Winning band is called 'Winner VIII'

THE 1/4 FINALS:
-The next stage, the 1/4 finals, will be held in this order:
# Winner I vs. Winner V
# Winner II vs. Winner VI
# Winner III vs. Winner VII
# Winner IV vs. Winner VIII

THE SEMI FINALS:
-The semi finals will be held in the order of:
# Winner I/V vs. Winner II/VI
# Winner III/VII vs. Winner IV/VIII

THE 'SHADOW FINAL':
-A number three and four is decided in a match between both 'losing' bands from the semi finals.
-Ranking of third and fourth place in this Final is decided upon the band that reaches the 10 points limit first.

THE FINAL MATCH:
-The Final match is held between both winning bands from the semi finals.
-When one of the bands in the Final reaches the limit of 10 points first, that band is declared the winner of the competition and is crowned The 'CRBWC' Champion 2011.
-The remaining band is ranked #2 in this competition.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5213/5530377280_41f3830f0c.jpg

-There will be NO playoffs held in this competition.
-You don't get to complain when 'your band' is eliminated from the competition. "Take the pain..."
-Swearing and obscene language is not tolerated. Always respect the opinion(s) of the other users participating in this thread, even if you disagree with their reasoning.
-If any situation should occur that is not explained and/or guided by the thread's rules, the 'Armor Games Community Forum Rules and Regulations' and the 'Popular Media Rules ("Read these rules or else...&quot' apply and are to be followed for this 'Classic Rock Bands World Cup'. They will be referred to when needed.
You can find them here:
Armor Games Community Forum Rules and Regulations
Popular Media Rules ("Read these rules, or else...&quot

Since this year's 'CRBWC' competition has a little more stuff to work with, I will start off as the sole Moderator for it, but there might be other moderators assigned over time if/when I see fit. Don't ask me for an assignment, since I will only assign people I know to have the same devotion to this competition and they will be revealed when the time comes, ok?

And last, but certainly not least... take heed:
!!! OFFICIAL AG ADMINISTRATORS AND MODERATORS WILL ALWAYS HAVE A BINDING WORD !!!
So, whenever an AG administrator or moderator visits this thread and decides to alter/delete a user's post or take action on an item or discussion, listen and obide to them as you would throughout the rest of the ArmorGames website.

I hope the AG users will like and participate in this 'Classic Rock Bands World Cup'!
So my main advice to all participants is to simply... ENJOY!!!

Now... enough with the talk... shove everything aside and...

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5019/5530376744_2f3a765af7_m.jpg

• 797 Replies
Armpit
Armpit
784 posts
Nomad

Van Halen is one of my favorite bands from the 80s, arguably one of the greatest bands of all-time. When they play, their instruments are always in perfect harmony. If I'm in the mood for some glam-metal, which I often am, Van Halen is always my first choice.

I cannot stand country music. The Eagles aren't much better. Yes, it is smooth, but perhaps too smooth to actually be worth listening to.

Cpt0bviousV2
Cpt0bviousV2
19 posts
Nomad

Very hard decision... But in the end i have to go with...

Van Halen!

Van Halen just has more songs i like. And a wide array of them too. The way they play and the type is just good. Unlike the eagles who slow music really isn't my type.

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,746 posts
King

It was a close call! This battle was a tie in the end, but the last two votes were in favour of Van Halen, making them the winner. But if you ask me, the Eagles can leave the battlefield with their heads held high, because it could have gone either way! Maybe they make it through next time? Who knows...

So, let's round this one up and present the :

Final score count for 1/4 Final # III :

11 - VAN HALEN - WINNER!

9 - THE EAGLES - Eliminated...

I was supposed to post the new battle today, but something IRL got in the way, so I will gather my information and present it to you tomorrow morning! =)

Sorry for the delay there people! =/

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,746 posts
King

Again, sorry for the delay, but here's the new round!! And on we go with the last of the 1/4 Finals to decide who will be added to the final 4 contestants in this competition, so we won't wait any longer! Presenting...

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8003/6968982414_d1b1a428e8_z_d.jpg

Again... here's some information about both contestants for those that might need some help in deciding!

# Boston : Official Website / Wikipedia Article
__Example Songs: More Than A Feeling (1976), Don't Look Back (1978), Amanda (1986).

# ZZ Top : Official Website / Wikipedia Article
__Example Songs : La Grange (1973), Gimme All Your Lovin' (1983), Legs (1984).

As always, here are the official starting words for the battle!

On your marks... get set... ready... eddie... steady... VOTE!!! =D

ilberic
ilberic
858 posts
Jester

Easily ZZ Top here.

ZZ Top is like hardcore blues if there ever was such a thing, and it's awesome. I love their voices, their looks, their sound. And besides all that, they produce maniacs:

Like This Guy

Boston I like, but that voice would just start getting on my nerves after a while..

So my vote = ZZ Top

ilberic
ilberic
858 posts
Jester

if this is a double post, I apologize, but I'm not seeing my post appear..

Easily ZZ Top here.

ZZ Top is like hardcore blues if there ever was such a thing, and it's awesome. I love their voices, their looks, their sound. And besides all that, they produce maniacs:

Like This Guy

Boston I like, but that voice would just start getting on my nerves after a while..

So my vote = ZZ Top

wajor59
wajor59
909 posts
Nomad

I didn't have to think long and hard over this contest at all. I vote for ZZTop.
I know they have some of the raunchiest lyrics but far from the worst in Rock history but their jazzy/bluezy Rock is some of the finest in the history of Rock.
Without looking for a Wiki citation my first guess would be that was where they found their inspiration for the name ZZ in ZZTop; it's a combination taken from the "zz's" in jazz and the "z" sound in the word blues?
I know a lot of you may not appreciate the Blues genre because it's slower than Metal but take another listen to Led Zeppelin because it's firmly rooted in Blues and Jazz too.

So, why don't I like Boston? Let's just look at it this way, if I only had the money to buy one concert ticket and my choice was these two bands then my money's on ZZTop.
This is basically how I always make my final decision with all of these contests.

Hey MrDayCee, do I get a cookie for being first three times in a row?
Thank you for giving me the heads up and because you had to let me know when the rounds were over I defer my cookie over to anyone you didn't have to remind.

wajor59
wajor59
909 posts
Nomad

Oh no, I got trumped by Iberic so please ignore my "cookie" comment...

Darn it...

Good job, Iberic!
humpf, he stole my cookie...

thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

ZZ Top all the way. Their songs are a lot more known, and they're a much better band,

daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

This one is actually though for me. I like Boston but I will have to go with ZZ Top on this one. Boston has that sound that makes them easily recognizable but it also makes all their songs sound slightly the same. ZZ Top on the other hand has more variety I guess. So ZZ Top.

jdoggparty
jdoggparty
5,860 posts
Nomad

This is really tough. Boston has some great tunes, and a really distinct sound. More than a feeling has always been one of my favorite songs. But in a way boston's sound gets repetitive, while I think I could listen to ZZ Top all day. They have a bluesy jazzy sound that is mixed with some kickass rock. It's a great combo and they are a great band. Also, for some reason I like 3 man bands a lot. ZZ Top gets my vote.

TOINOU79
TOINOU79
19 posts
Nomad

I like that !

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,746 posts
King

First votes are in and it looks like everyone is choosing sides with the 'Beards' here! =)

I was actualyl thinking that they would be defeated by Boston, looking at the previous rounds where Boston easily smashed Def Leppard out of the competition!

@ ilberic : Don't think I'll count your vote twice because you had the forum glitch act up upon you during your posting! LOL =P
And you have been waiting a LONG time to post this Steve Moore vid once again now did ya?! Well, did you see his X-mas vid *** well? Not so related and/or great as the first, but again... fierce drumming goin' on there!

@ wajor59 : Don't worry... you've been first the last 2 rounds, so I bet you'll make it with the next round again!
Here... to ease the pain a little!

http://www.icrossmedia.nl/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/cookie.jpg

@ thepyro222 : A little thin there bro... try to make a little elaboration on your vote next time, ok? Thanx!

@ TOINOU79 : That's a roger... but to be clear about it, 'what' is it you like exactly? Because this is just spamming on a thread...

@ all : It seems like the general opinion is that Boston has a sound that becomes repetitive after a while... never thought anyone would say this, but I guess it's fair to some extend! =/

Strange unexpected development for this battle so far, but ah well... strange fruit is exciting and new! So, here's the first score roundup! And it shows us :

Score count for 1/4 Final # IV :

0 - BOSTON
5 - ZZ TOP

Let's see if Boston recovers from this series of blows and makes it back alongside of ZZ Top again! Should/could be interesting... =)

State those elaborated votes and help your favorite band win! VOTE!!!

Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

Well, I've got more than a feeling as to who ought to win this round. I've listened to Boston my entire life, and my appreciation to their music extends to far more songs than ZZ Top does.

delossantosj
delossantosj
6,680 posts
Nomad

ZZ Top has absolutely the WORST stage pressence i have ever seen out of every artist ever haha. they just stand there. its no different then just listening to them on the album. there is no visual, just their beards.

boston gets my vote

Showing 661-675 of 797