ForumsPopular Media"C.R.B.W.C." : the Classic Rock Bands World Cup!

797 345396
MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,746 posts
King

A lot of people have been asking me when the new edition of the 'CRBWC' would finally start (and I'm sorry it took me so long...), but I wanted to make the second edition even better and more fun than the first one!
(In case you wonder what the first one looked like: this is the 'CRBWC 2010'.)

After hours of fun (and stress!) in figuring out the new CRBWC schematics, the gathering of info on the participating bands and fabricating the additional pictures to it all, I'm proud of the final outcome and so, without further delay, let's kick off the 2011 edition of the

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5294/5529788999_de0e158858.jpg

Now, some changes have been made to the second edition of this competition, so reading the rules and guidelines is something everyone needs to do, even the voters from last year's edition are advised to...

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5097/5530376806_b698294b37.jpg

The format of this World Cup for Classical Rock Bands is based upon the organisation schematics of the Soccer World Cup. It has the same rules as the Soccer World Cup in terms of competitors proceeding through it, but it will follow a few rules of its own too.
Below is a short guide to elaborate the >binding rules< for this competition:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5220/5529789379_02f0090bc2_m.jpg

-The 'CRBWC' consist of a total of 24 rounds being presented one at a time.
-Each round will be open for voting for a maximum of 2 weeks or untill a band reaches the points limit.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5178/5529789643_2c342038b7.jpg

-Each user of ArmorGames who wants to give a vote has the possibility to vote only once per round.
-All votes given by users are obligated to consist of an elaborated reasoning as to 'why' you choose these two bands. Votes lacking a proper elaborated reasoning, for example: "I like them" or "They rule", will not be counted. Elaborate on why you like them and talk about them, that's the main goal of this competition!
-Different to last year's edition, this time each vote in the group stage of this competition will consist of naming a "First choice" with with a value of 3 points and a "Second choice" with a value of 1 point.
-You only get to vote for two bands in a group. NO double voting for a single band and/or NO voting for more than two bands per group. No exceptions will be made in this matter.
-If two bands reach the limit of 30 points at the same time, the band with the most "First choices" will be declared as the winner of that round.
-The rule explained above, also applies if two bands reach a similar point count for second place at the same time in the 'Group Stage'.
-If, for any reason, two bands reach the limit of 30 points simultaniously and both have an equal amount of first and second choices, the band getting it's 'winning vote' first will be declared the winner.
-Further rounds after the group stage will have a 1 point count for each vote given and an according 10 points limit. Rules for declaring a winner will be applied according to the group stage rules.
-No discussions about the ruling on the outcome of a round are allowed.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5133/5529789699_ba98e181f8.jpg

# THE GROUP STAGE:
-This stage will behold 8 different groups (A to H) consisting of 7 Classical Rock Bands to choose from.
-After closure, both the 'group winner' and the 'runner up' band will proceed to the knockout stage.
-All other remaining bands are eliminated from the competition.

THE KNOCKOUT STAGE:
-After completing the Group stage, the 'group winner' of the first group will be up against the 'runner up' of the second group. The 'group winner' of the second group will be up against the 'runner up' of the first group. This schedule will be followed for the rest of the groups, to clarify:
#1 Group A vs. #2 Group B (Winning band is called 'Winner I'
#1 Group B vs. #2 Group A (Winning band is called 'Winner II'
#1 Group C vs. #2 Group D (Winning band is called 'Winner III'
#1 Group D vs. #2 Group C (Winning band is called 'Winner IV'
#1 Group E vs. #2 Group F (Winning band is called 'Winner V'
#1 Group F vs. #2 Group E (Winning band is called 'Winner VI'
#1 Group G vs. #2 Group H (Winning band is called 'Winner VII'
#1 Group H vs. #2 Group G (Winning band is called 'Winner VIII'

THE 1/4 FINALS:
-The next stage, the 1/4 finals, will be held in this order:
# Winner I vs. Winner V
# Winner II vs. Winner VI
# Winner III vs. Winner VII
# Winner IV vs. Winner VIII

THE SEMI FINALS:
-The semi finals will be held in the order of:
# Winner I/V vs. Winner II/VI
# Winner III/VII vs. Winner IV/VIII

THE 'SHADOW FINAL':
-A number three and four is decided in a match between both 'losing' bands from the semi finals.
-Ranking of third and fourth place in this Final is decided upon the band that reaches the 10 points limit first.

THE FINAL MATCH:
-The Final match is held between both winning bands from the semi finals.
-When one of the bands in the Final reaches the limit of 10 points first, that band is declared the winner of the competition and is crowned The 'CRBWC' Champion 2011.
-The remaining band is ranked #2 in this competition.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5213/5530377280_41f3830f0c.jpg

-There will be NO playoffs held in this competition.
-You don't get to complain when 'your band' is eliminated from the competition. "Take the pain..."
-Swearing and obscene language is not tolerated. Always respect the opinion(s) of the other users participating in this thread, even if you disagree with their reasoning.
-If any situation should occur that is not explained and/or guided by the thread's rules, the 'Armor Games Community Forum Rules and Regulations' and the 'Popular Media Rules ("Read these rules or else...&quot' apply and are to be followed for this 'Classic Rock Bands World Cup'. They will be referred to when needed.
You can find them here:
Armor Games Community Forum Rules and Regulations
Popular Media Rules ("Read these rules, or else...&quot

Since this year's 'CRBWC' competition has a little more stuff to work with, I will start off as the sole Moderator for it, but there might be other moderators assigned over time if/when I see fit. Don't ask me for an assignment, since I will only assign people I know to have the same devotion to this competition and they will be revealed when the time comes, ok?

And last, but certainly not least... take heed:
!!! OFFICIAL AG ADMINISTRATORS AND MODERATORS WILL ALWAYS HAVE A BINDING WORD !!!
So, whenever an AG administrator or moderator visits this thread and decides to alter/delete a user's post or take action on an item or discussion, listen and obide to them as you would throughout the rest of the ArmorGames website.

I hope the AG users will like and participate in this 'Classic Rock Bands World Cup'!
So my main advice to all participants is to simply... ENJOY!!!

Now... enough with the talk... shove everything aside and...

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5019/5530376744_2f3a765af7_m.jpg

• 797 Replies
Skeleton_Pilot
Skeleton_Pilot
1,361 posts
Blacksmith

i cant stand the eagles. all their songs are boring as hell and there is nothing special about them.

Finally, someone else who understands!

Can someone explain to me what people like so much about them?
waluigi
waluigi
1,948 posts
Shepherd

I'm going to go for The Eagles. I love how they take strong influence from country and fuse it into rock/ southern rock form. What helps here also is their multiple singers, multiple guitarists, and ability to play unconventional instruments for rock (i.e. Banjo). And the dueling guitars on Hotel California, amazing. That whole album is amazing too.
Also, they didn't have to deal with the cheesier songs like Van Halen did in the 'Van Hagar' period.

ihsahn
ihsahn
428 posts
Nomad

Hotel California is the only Eagles record I really care about. Van Halen are awesome throughout their David Lee Roth years, including their latest. Just catchy and well-written rock anthems. Plus they're all around competent instrumentalists.
So yeah, Van Halen it is.

ilberic
ilberic
858 posts
Jester

I will vote for Eddie Van Halen and whoever else he is bringing to the table at any given point.

I actually like both the bands. Each one is my favorite, depending on the way the day is going. Eagles for when the day is going free and easy, Van Halen for when the day is a bit edgy. At the end of the day, I think I like Eddie's guitar over Joe Walsh, though I do love them both.

Vote: Van Halen

Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

The Eagles have pumped out more classics than Van Halen, and I like The Eagles more than I do Van Halen. Easy choice, really. So The Eagles get my vote.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

The Eagles it is for me. Yes, their music is usually more calm than the one from Van Halen (as far as I can judge), and this is precisely what I like about them. Hotel California wouldn't have the same charme if it was sung a la VH.
I may have gotten into some very hard and dark music in the last years, but I still seek for the melody in the songs as I always did, and I definitely find it, and more of it, when listening to The Eagles. I know enough other cool bands when I need some rock rhythm

jdoggparty
jdoggparty
5,860 posts
Nomad

i cant stand the eagles. all their songs are boring as hell and there is nothing special about them.
van halen on the other hand is amazing. they have one of the greatest guitarists of all time on their line up, one of the greatest drummers, and one of the greatest vocals. very easy vote

This. I know the Eagles have made lots of classics, but I've never gotten into them. They're just boring.

Van Halen has probably my favorite guitarist and one of my favorite drummers. They have great vocals and have made so many amazing songs that I could listen to whenever I wanted. As delos said, easy vote.
midnighToker
midnighToker
2 posts
Nomad

how is it betwen the eagles and van halen. ughhh not voting.

midnighToker
midnighToker
2 posts
Nomad

groups 3,5,7 didnt even have to ppl id vote for the rest had at least 3. i feel this was not spread out as well as possible. but of course that is based on my favorites

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,746 posts
King

I don't know if this post is even going to show up at all, as I've been experiencing some problems with opening the last page of this thread lately... therfor I couldn't see all the posts in order to have an accurate score count for this battle. Admins have this bug targeted and are working on it! But as I don't want to wait any longer, here goes nothing... =)

First, before even counting any votes, I HAVE to vote for my personal favorite as I would (and have done) with every battle they are featured in! That personal favorite is VAN HALEN!!!
As I explained in battles before, they simply embody rock music for me! A band that rocked the foundations of the genre with their killer debut album and it's blasting track list lead by 'Running With The Devil'! Decades and several major changes in lineup later, the band STILL plays a strong and powerful sound within the rock genre with their new -yet familliar sounding- album in the record stores! Eddie, Alex, Wolfgang and DLR rock the world and will probably continue to do so untill grimm grabs them! =)

That said... on with answering the posts!

@ wajor59 : Really? Ouch... that hurted... I really thought you were a sure bet on standing by me in who to vote for there... but don't worry, I'll stand my ground alone! =P

Van Halen is good but I was never a heavy metal/hard rock fan.

@ daleks : Not mocking you, but it's a little funny to see someone state that Van Halen is a 'Heavy Metal' band there... no hard feelings there, ok?

Eddie is also a great keyboardist!

@ Skeleton_Pilot : Few people actually know that Eddie is a great musician who plays a wide variety of instruments, a piano among others! =)

Ok so i really on't know these bands too well

@ Schmiddy1234 : Ouch... that hurted Schmiddy! Not so much soly for the sake of Van Halen, but equally for The Eagles. These two bands are true giants in the world of music! So, I'm a little flabbergasted that you don't know either of them that well... =/

Why do you do this to me? It was nearly impossible for me to choose!

@ FALLEN950 : That's my job bro! Providing you with impossible to choose battles! LOL =P

deal with the cheesier songs like Van Halen did in the 'Van Hagar' period.

@ waluigi : In defence of those 'cheesy songs' in the 'Van Hagar' period... those songs were actually made in a period that marks the immense joy they (Eddie, Alex and Michael) were having with the band's new addition (Sammy) after a very tensed and awfully rotten breakup with DLR! The band was already evolving in sound and by means of having a rythem guitar added to the ranks, they were able to evolve and become a #1 billboard act! Something DLR couldn't/wouldn't provide for...

The Eagles have pumped out more classics than Van Halen

@ Maverick4 : I actually beg to differ Mav... I know I'm (by now) sounding as if I have a preference in this battle (I do), but I don't care right now... in my opinion, Van Halen has just as much classics in their repertoire as the Eagles have! Make two lists and compare them and you'll see whatI mean...

Hotel California wouldn't have the same charme if it was sung a la VH.

@ HahiHa : Now THAT is an interesting thought right there... maybe we should suggest this to them by means of an email petition?! =)

groups 3,5,7 didnt even have to ppl id vote for the rest had at least 3. i feel this was not spread out as well as possible. but of course that is based on my favorites

@ midnighToker : So... will you be voting for this battle then? Or... =/

The battle is still not over as the score count shows us :

Score count for 1/4 Final # III :

6 - THE EAGLES
8 - VAN HALEN

Van Halen has a small 2 votes lead over the Eagles at the moment, but the battle isn't over yet... so anything's possible!!! Let's just wait and see who will prevail and proceed to the semi finals! But don't make us wait to long... =0

So give up stalling it and post those reasoned votes people! The more the merrier! VOTE!!!
MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,746 posts
King

I don't know if this post is even going to show up at all, as I've been experiencing some problems with opening the last page of this thread lately... therfor I couldn't see all the posts in order to have an accurate score count for this battle. Admins have this bug targeted and are working on it! But as I don't want to wait any longer, here goes nothing... =)

First, before even counting any votes, I HAVE to vote for my personal favorite as I would (and have done) with every battle they are featured in! That personal favorite is VAN HALEN!!!
As I explained in battles before, they simply embody rock music for me! A band that rocked the foundations of the genre with their killer debut album and it's blasting track list lead by 'Running With The Devil'! Decades and several major changes in lineup later, the band STILL plays a strong and powerful sound within the rock genre with their new -yet familliar sounding- album in the record stores! Eddie, Alex, Wolfgang and DLR rock the world and will probably continue to do so untill grimm grabs them! =)

That said... on with answering the posts!

@ wajor59 : Really? Ouch... that hurted... I really thought you were a sure bet on standing by me in who to vote for there... but don't worry, I'll stand my ground alone! =P

Van Halen is good but I was never a heavy metal/hard rock fan.

@ daleks : Not mocking you, but it's a little funny to see someone state that Van Halen is a 'Heavy Metal' band there... no hard feelings there, ok?

Eddie is also a great keyboardist!

@ Skeleton_Pilot : Few people actually know that Eddie is a great musician who plays a wide variety of instruments, a piano among others! =)

Ok so i really on't know these bands too well

@ Schmiddy1234 : Ouch... that hurted Schmiddy! Not so much soly for the sake of Van Halen, but equally for The Eagles. These two bands are true giants in the world of music! So, I'm a little flabbergasted that you don't know either of them that well... =/

Why do you do this to me? It was nearly impossible for me to choose!

@ FALLEN950 : That's my job bro! Providing you with impossible to choose battles! LOL =P

deal with the cheesier songs like Van Halen did in the 'Van Hagar' period.

@ waluigi : In defence of those 'cheesy songs' in the 'Van Hagar' period... those songs were actually made in a period that marks the immense joy they (Eddie, Alex and Michael) were having with the band's new addition (Sammy) after a very tensed and awfully rotten breakup with DLR! The band was already evolving in sound and by means of having a rythem guitar added to the ranks, they were able to evolve and become a #1 billboard act! Something DLR couldn't/wouldn't provide for...

The Eagles have pumped out more classics than Van Halen

@ Maverick4 : I actually beg to differ Mav... I know I'm (by now) sounding as if I have a preference in this battle (I do), but I don't care right now... in my opinion, Van Halen has just as much classics in their repertoire as the Eagles have! Make two lists and compare them and you'll see whatI mean...

Hotel California wouldn't have the same charme if it was sung a la VH.

@ HahiHa : Now THAT is an interesting thought right there... maybe we should suggest this to them by means of an email petition?! =)

@ midnighToker : So... will you be voting for this battle then? Or... =/

The battle is still not over as the score count shows us :

Score count for 1/4 Final # III :

6 - THE EAGLES
8 - VAN HALEN

Van Halen has a small 2 votes lead over the Eagles at the moment, but the battle isn't over yet... so anything's possible!!! Let's just wait and see who will prevail and proceed to the semi finals! But don't make us wait to long... =0

So give up stalling it and post those reasoned votes people! The more the merrier! VOTE!!!
numino
numino
214 posts
Peasant

The Eagles because their lyrics are more mature and elegant in its style, van halen just seem to be more childish/teenage drivel.

Both of the bands write good music but I find the eagles to be more fitting when it comes to diversity.

Eagles

DrElmer
DrElmer
552 posts
Shepherd

I vote for Van Halen. Their music is very powerful even when their lyrics are practically meaningless. The Eagles seem too passive to me.

calebsi
calebsi
202 posts
Farmer

I've always preferred 70s music over 80s music so I will vote for The Eagles

I don't really like either but

calebsi
calebsi
202 posts
Farmer

Sorry I pressed submit accidentally

anyway, from where I left off:
I prefer the smooth rock of the Eagles over the louder music of Van Halen. Also, I like the vocals of the Eagles more than those of Van Halen.

Showing 646-660 of 797