Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Theism and Atheism

Posted Mar 29, '11 at 6:15pm

mdv96

mdv96

1,021 posts

You really can't accept both without running into contradiction, which means you are left with having to deny one of the above statements.

Some forms of Christianity like Mormons believe the EVERYTHING in the Bible is the truth and each word is the absolute truth. I am a Catholic and I have a very open mind so science. The Bible is full of metaphors and not everything is straight forward. It can't be taken at face value, it requires thought. I don't believe that on the 3rd day God made the Sun or any of that. I do find truth in the big bang. But, how did that infinitely small, dense and hot speck get there?

Posted Mar 29, '11 at 6:18pm

wolf1991

wolf1991

3,557 posts

Didn't my response just explain faith is a belief in something with out evidence did i not explain how our world is made up of many inventions that took faith. how about this re-read it and come back to me on that

Oh I understood, however, regardless of faith you are still making an assertion. Saying God is real will no doubt lead to people asking "How do you know?" simply saying, "Faith", is not, for many people a good enough answer. Therefore we ask you to prove it. That's usually when you ask us to disprove it. How does one disprove it when there is no evidence to do so. Therefore, if you make a claim you must validate that claim.

Posted Mar 29, '11 at 6:19pm

jeol

jeol

3,987 posts

I wonder how many have gotten ninja'd today? Three of us replied in the same minute.

tehpwner, I am extremely sorry (but not really) to inform you that this thread has been compromised by Atheists, including myself.

I find it odd how there are more atheistic posts in this thread than Christian ones and I never even looked at the "Atheist FTW" thread. That's hardly fair, is it?
Sadly he cannot dictate who views and comments on this thread. And to be clear many of us are not bashing, we are trying to have a reasoned discussion. However, when reason fails we become aggitated with the ignorance SOME people show.

We can never have a Christian debate on this site without an atheist involved, can we? Sigh...

Posted Mar 29, '11 at 6:19pm

cowmaster1

cowmaster1

701 posts

Some forms of Christianity like Mormons believe the EVERYTHING in the Bible is the truth and each word is the absolute truth. I am a Catholic and I have a very open mind so science. The Bible is full of metaphors and not everything is straight forward. It can't be taken at face value, it requires thought. I don't believe that on the 3rd day God made the Sun or any of that. I do find truth in the big bang. But, how did that infinitely small, dense and hot speck get there?

I agree with what you say. I am also a Catholic. I don't totally believe in the Big Bang theory, but im open to it. I find science interesting and agree with the majority of what it says. The one i don't believe mainly in is evolution.

Posted Mar 29, '11 at 6:23pm

jeol

jeol

3,987 posts

Cowmaster1!! I have not seen you in forever.

I agree with what you say. I am also a Catholic. I don't totally believe in the Big Bang theory, but im open to it. I find science interesting and agree with the majority of what it says. The one i don't believe mainly in is evolution.

Evolution is not a part of science, even though many scientists and people like that happen to be scientists. It's sort of like a religion. Christianity is not a science, but it tells pretty much the same thing as Evolution. Different stories, same topic. Science and religion should not be made equal.

Posted Mar 29, '11 at 6:26pm

grimml

grimml

902 posts

Evolution is not a part of science, even though many scientists and people like that happen to be scientists. It's sort of like a religion.

Bullsh*t... just bullsh*t and you know that!

Posted Mar 29, '11 at 6:34pm

Avorne

Avorne

3,265 posts

Evolution is not a part of science, even though many scientists and people like that happen to be scientists. It's sort of like a religion. Christianity is not a science, but it tells pretty much the same thing as Evolution. Different stories, same topic. Science and religion should not be made equal.

Evolution is a scientific theory - what part of that don't you understand? You're as bad as the halfwits that claim Atheists worship Charles Darwin. Bah, 'the creation story' is in no way comparable to a scientific theory, it doesn't give any in-depth explanation and the evidence for it is woefully lacking - in other words, to spare you time, We have the fossil record - we win.

Posted Mar 29, '11 at 6:47pm

jeol

jeol

3,987 posts

Evolution is a scientific theory - what part of that don't you understand? You're as bad as the halfwits that claim Atheists worship Charles Darwin. Bah, 'the creation story' is in no way comparable to a scientific theory, it doesn't give any in-depth explanation and the evidence for it is woefully lacking - in other words, to spare you time, We have the fossil record - we win.

I don't believe that you believe that Charles Darwin is a saint, 'cause you guys don't have saints. Just kidding.

Science deals with what is and also explains things that are, not about what was. It's like saying a lion and a tiger are the same, "'Cause they look alike!" but try comparing religions like Islam and Christianity and Evolution and see that all of them try to explain the beginning, all of them try to explain how we got here, and all of them describe who we are (to some extent). And on the evidence part, I think you're becoming slightly ignorant. Read this article. I know it's long, but I think you can handle it if you've been reading this entire thread.

Posted Mar 29, '11 at 6:50pm

MageGrayWolf

MageGrayWolf

9,782 posts

Knight

tehpwner, I am extremely sorry (but not really) to inform you that this thread has been compromised by Atheists, including myself.

**** those atheists and...oh wait.

Yes, I do. I take most of it seriously and sometimes assume that things like this mean the same thing.

But you just said there are errors in the Bible.

What he was saying was that what I was saying was that though they seem to be saying to different things, they can still mean the same things, just one had a different perspective or a different knowledge than the other had.

And even though they have completely different stories you accept both as true?

Some forms of Christianity like Mormons believe the EVERYTHING in the Bible is the truth and each word is the absolute truth.

Joseph Smith thought most of the Bible was full of errors and according to the story the Book of Mormon provides the actual true story. So far as I can tell it's (Book of Mormon > Bible) for Mormons.

The Bible is full of metaphors and not everything is straight forward. It can't be taken at face value, it requires thought.

How do you tell what is metaphor and what is straight forward?

But, how did that infinitely small, dense and hot speck get there?

The Big Bang doesn't deal with that question. I can provide you with several hypotheses.

We can never have a Christian debate on this site without an atheist involved, can we? Sigh...

I don't think this is a place for one sided debates. Though given you feel that your side is under represented my guess is you likely think it is.

Evolution is not a part of science, even though many scientists and people like that happen to be scientists.

Evolution is a scientific theory and a scientific fact, so yes it is.

It's sort of like a religion.

Not even close.

Science and religion should not be made equal.

I agree with you there.

Posted Mar 29, '11 at 6:53pm

314d1

314d1

3,962 posts

Science deals with what is and also explains things that are, not about what was.

Ever hear of forensics? Paleontology? Archeology? Are you an idiot by birth or practice?

It's like saying a lion and a tiger are the same, "'Cause they look alike!"

Or because they share many of the same features, a spine, talons, and all those other characteristics of being a feline... It is like saying "Oh, no! Don't call those elements 'metals', just because they act like each other!"

but try comparing religions like Islam and Christianity and Evolution and see that all of them try to explain the beginning, all of them try to explain how we got here, and all of them describe who we are (to some extent).

So because the fiction covers more than fact, you should believe the fiction? So lets say you are living around the time that the Roswell incident happens. Aria 51 and all that. Since you do not have a satisfactory information with your current knowledge, does that mean you should just say "Well the alien theory explains what happens, why it happens, and in some detail, how it happens, so lets go with it"?

nd on the evidence part, I think you're becoming slightly ignorant.

I think you have become more ignorant than the rock in my backyard. At least rocks can give an insight into history, which you seem to not be able to comprehend.

Read this article. I know it's long, but I think you can handle it if you've been reading this entire thread.

A christian blog. Are you trying to kill us? No thanks, your ignorance is enough for right now.

Reply to Theism and Atheism

You must be logged in to post a reply!