Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Theism and Atheism

Posted Apr 10, '11 at 1:01am

wolf1991

wolf1991

3,557 posts

Carbon testing was proven inaccurate because the cloth sustained high heating and fire in about the same period, thus being infused with 14C from burning wood etc, making the tests return wrong data.

*sighs* Please give us a source on this. For all I know you're making it up to hold your flimsy argument aloft.

Posted Apr 10, '11 at 1:13am

Sssssnnaakke

Sssssnnaakke

1,065 posts

*sighs* Please give us a source on this. For all I know you're making it up to hold your flimsy argument aloft.

90% of statistics are made up :P

Posted Apr 10, '11 at 1:24am

vesperbot

vesperbot

987 posts

*sighs* Please give us a source on this.
I was overzealous to post this ASAP. Source
Say a person has a frontal lobe lobotomy. Has their soul somehow changed?
Or some type of injury involving the brain? What happened to their previous soul?
Well, the soul in unchanged by this, but its ability to interact with the world changes dramatically. You might have heard of research about people whose brain was split in half by the colossal comissure influence (sometimes temporary) which develop "double personality". I expect their soul to not be split, but be connected (by any means) to both parts of the brain and both personalities, but be severely impaired in the ability of acting as a whole. This also includes the case where one personality identifies him as a believer, and the other as atheist. So, only the ability of one's soul interacting with the body is harmed by this.
Why did God say so?
You can't perceive this. I can't too.
Does the soul comprise the mind across time? But people can change their mind for the better or worse.
If sins are damages against the soul, then why do we necessarily "inherit" the sins that we had in the past in the next second and in the next second? Our minds are constantly changing.
Souls also change somehow, however they are fully grown right at the time of the fetus forming, in terms of their spiritual abilities. I think that souls cannot repair themselves, but this is why they are also immortal, that's why you "inherit sins from past second to present and the next second". God can heal the soul of those injuries, of course, He just wants us to accept Him as our God.
Which animals have souls?
Answer unknown. Your speculation is nice, however.
In the case of the robot sharing your soul, if that robot commits a sin are you held responsible for that sin?
You know what, false -> anything is a casuistic speculation. You create the robot capable of high intelligence first, and we'll see if it will have a soul. I'm not strong in casuistics, I must confess, but I know that binary logic is beaten by casuistics, because of the logical "false -> X" is true for any X. Thus, a casuistic can produce any outcome of any "what if" statement, and just shrug any logical arguments off. I'm not into this.
What if we clone someone? Does that clone have it's own soul or are you sharing a soul?
I expect God will give him a soul, but will be greatly displeased at us for this. The same is true about IVF'd children.

Posted Apr 10, '11 at 1:29am

wolf1991

wolf1991

3,557 posts

You can't perceive this. I can't too.

I hate answers that are like this. Basically: "I'm too ignorant to explain and you should just accept that you are too."

I expect God will give him a soul, but will be greatly displeased at us for this. The same is true about IVF'd children.

So do they automatically go to hell?

Posted Apr 10, '11 at 1:35am

jasonxtk

jasonxtk

69 posts

oh science, he only went to church once and they corrupted him so fast, pretty sad

Posted Apr 10, '11 at 1:38am

wolf1991

wolf1991

3,557 posts

oh science, he only went to church once and they corrupted him so fast, pretty sad

Who is this aimed at?

Posted Apr 10, '11 at 1:41am

jasonxtk

jasonxtk

69 posts

@ wolf - to the person that first posted this thread

Posted Apr 10, '11 at 2:39am

vesperbot

vesperbot

987 posts

So do they automatically go to hell?
no, they have their own souls to care for. He's displeased for US to do this, so it's US who are in danger of going to Hell for committing IVF and stem children.
I hate answers that are like this.
You want to judge God by human merits. This is impossible, as God is infinitely greater than us.
he only went to church once and they corrupted him so fast, pretty sad
By this logic, I'm "corrupted" even before going to church the first time. So what?

Posted Apr 10, '11 at 3:15am

MageGrayWolf

MageGrayWolf

9,782 posts

Knight

Carbon testing was proven inaccurate because the cloth sustained high heating and fire in about the same period, thus being infused with 14C from burning wood etc, making the tests return wrong data.

It being caught in a fire would not effect the 14C dating. However we did discover that the part tested was a repair job on the shroud. Further testing on the shroud shows it to be at least twice as old as the 14C dating indicated. The problem wasn't with the 14C dating but the sample itself.
But as I said even if the date does go back to the time Jesus supposedly lived how do we know it was in fact the one used on Jesus?

You know what, false -> anything is a casuistic speculation. You create the robot capable of high intelligence first, and we'll see if it will have a soul. I'm not strong in casuistics, I must confess, but I know that binary logic is beaten by casuistics, because of the logical "false -> X" is true for any X. Thus, a casuistic can produce any outcome of any "what if" statement, and just shrug any logical arguments off. I'm not into this.

That didn't answer my question. Under the assumption that someone did build such a robot you stated.

"If you would build such a machine, however, it will have your soul as its own."

let's further assume that robots inventor was Christian. But the robot turns out to be an atheist. Under these conditions what happens to the soul?

Posted Apr 10, '11 at 9:20am

Highfire

Highfire

3,127 posts

Who is this aimed at?

I assume he only read the first post or page being as this is not the topic and the lack of direction points only to thepyro22 I'd imagine.

@ wolf - to the person that first posted this thread

Nevermind...

Under these conditions what happens to the soul?

Is it not the first commandment "Thou shall not take another God as I", inaccurately spoken?
It is, in its own way, playing God if the Robot indeed has a soul.
Whilst I doubt any of us have a soul and only a mere consciousness which is easily effected by external surroundings, I do think that in this case (God is real, and so are souls) the Christian would be punished anyway.

The Robot? I'm not sure whether he has free will or not. That would be the dictation of its outcome after "death", if it has one.

- H

Reply to Theism and Atheism

You must be logged in to post a reply!