ForumsWEPRTheism and Atheism

4668 1396069
thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

I grew up atheist for 16 years. I had always kept an open mind towards religion, but never really felt a need to believe in it. My sister started going to a Wednesday night children's program at a church. Eventually, I was dragged into a Christmas Eve service. Scoffing, I reluctantly went, assuming that this was going to be a load of crap, but when I went, I felt something. Something that I've never felt before. I felt a sense of empowerment and a sense of calling. Jesus called upon my soul, just like he did with his disciples. he wanted me to follow him. Now, my life is being lived for Christ. He died on the cross for my sins, and the sins of everyone who believes in him. He was beaten, brutalized, struck with a whip 39 times, made to carry a cross up to the stage of his death. This I believe to be true, and I can never repay him for what he has done.
I still have my struggles with Christianity, but I've found this bit of information most useful. Religion is not comprehensible in the human mind, because we cannot comprehend the idea of a perfect and supreme being, a God, but we can believe it in our heart, and that's the idea of faith. Faith is, even though everything rides against me believing in Jesus, I still believe in him because I know that it's true in my heart. I invite my fellow Brothers and sisters of the LORD to talk about how Jesus has helped you in your life. No atheists and no insults please

• 4,668 Replies
samy
samy
4,871 posts
Nomad

The only way the atheist can feel like they have control or a grasp on reality is feeling that they need to rebut every single religious comment with pseudo-science that they are superior in intellect and understanding.

Hey come on now, many of us prefer a philosophical religious debate to a scientific one. And I have plenty of other ways to find satisfaction, the fact of the matter is this was posted in a forum where debate happens. No one can be blamed for this but himself.
Einfach
Einfach
1,448 posts
Nomad

In all honesty they are victims. People that try to make a Christian contradict themselves just so they can be 'right'. They are equally as ignorant as they claim the Christian to be.

You are claiming that they are victims because of atheistical sadistic intent.

I'm going to state it quite simply - if we succeed in making Christians contradict themselves, then Christianity is an illogical viewpoint.

How does this display "ignorance" at all? This statement is completely unfounded.

By going to WEPR, you consent that you may believe that your views are correct, but more important than being correct, you want to pursue the truth.

And so you will advocate your side and listen to others' arguments. It is easily misconstrued by bystanders or observers that we're flaming each other, but even if so, it is simultaneously in pursuit of truth.

There is no victim here.
thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

It's just hilarious to see how crazily that you defend your beliefs. Personal attacks and false claims of fallacies. I gave you logical proof, and I gave you sources. If you are really seeking, asking questions to find out more, then take those routs I have already given to you. If you don't you are just here to troll. You are saying to me &quotrove to me that God exists." I don't have to prove anything to you. It's not my responsibility. I was trying to start a forum for other Christians, and you have taken it and torn it to pieces, so thank you for your disrespect and complete ignorance of common human dignity. Now, good day to you all.

Einfach
Einfach
1,448 posts
Nomad

Even the most intelligent people in the world only have the brain compacity to know 3% of knowledge that human information holds throughout the world, let alone the universe.

I only 3% understand this statement at all.
samy
samy
4,871 posts
Nomad

I don't have to prove anything to you. It's not my responsibility.

Wrong.

I'm going to let you in on a secret, both sides of the debate are reluctant. I was presented with logical arguments both for Christianity and against it for over two years on this site and it took me two years to come to the conclusion that the Christian god does not exist. Don't claim that they are being resistant when i know you are as well, yes they could probably be more intent on having a discussion than a debate but unfortunately that isn't going to happen. It's great that you're a Christian but please do not bash other people's views simply because they differ from yours, it's obnoxious. And I don't care if they're doing it, you aren't them and as a Christian it isn't something you should do either.
redbedhead
redbedhead
341 posts
Nomad

Sophism at it's finest, also, cite your ****ing source.
And it's not pseudo science if it's ACTUAL science. Your english teacher must be appalled.

If you would like sources here are two simple sources. Mathematically it only concurs as much even though it's specifically looking at the US by which worldwide there would be plenty more information to make a contention that there is indeed too much information for the brains compacity to grasp, let alone philosophical comprehension.

You claim I'm being sophistic, yet I never made an argument to disillusion anyone nor did I try to decieve Pyro in anyway, shape, or form and you sir proved a fact of the matter that incredulous flaming incurs when anyone makes a religious comment.

Lastly, if you want to believe in the actuality of the basis of your scientific fallacies and protocol be my guest.
I'm not here to debate philosy, I got plenty of that back in highschool with Lincoln-Douglas style debates.

"cite your ****ing sources" Your mother would be appalled at the sophistication of your vocabulary.
MoonFairy
MoonFairy
3,390 posts
Shepherd

Einfach, there is too much unknown to rule out any religion.
I'm not here to list any views of mine, except that some people should just lay off. Middle ground was here before, and I'm trying to get it back.

Ignorance to those that enjoy making Christians look like fools. They believe in what they want, why not let them believe in what they want?

There is no victim? No victim?
Watching a bully pick on a smaller kid because the VICTIM doesn't understand how to fight back. Atheists giving sites, listing studies, there physical evidence against a way of thinking, that will NEVER win. And most everyone should understand that.
You can't make a group of atheists convert to Christianity because most atheists want cold hard facts, and most religions rely on FAITH.
You can't have them at the same time, so this never ending fight just goes on and on and on!

All I am asking for both sides to just lay off a bit so that way there can be some shred of middle ground here.

Einfach
Einfach
1,448 posts
Nomad

Watching a bully pick on a smaller kid because the VICTIM doesn't understand how to fight back. Atheists giving sites, listing studies, there physical evidence against a way of thinking, that will NEVER win. And most everyone should understand that.

Yeah - it's not a fight. That's where you're wrong. The loser is the winner - they gain more knowledge than the winner. They have learned something new, and are on the path to discovering the truth.
MoonFairy
MoonFairy
3,390 posts
Shepherd

that will NEVER win.

By this I mean Christianity.

While I'm here I'll fix mah grammar.
there

Their*

They believe in what they want, why not let them believe in what they want?

And at this, I mean, if atheists can believe in whatever they choose, why not let Christians do that as well, without the army against them?
Einfach
Einfach
1,448 posts
Nomad

You can't have them at the same time, so this never ending fight just goes on and on and on!

Actually, I don't look for cold facts; I look for deductive reasoning. This is the epitome of factual accuracy.
thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

@ Samy

Personal attacks... how very, predictable of you atheists.

Einfach
Einfach
1,448 posts
Nomad

All I am asking for both sides to just lay off a bit so that way there can be some shred of middle ground here.

Some say the sun rises in the east.
Some say the sun rises in the west.
Clearly the answer lies somewhere in the middle
http://www.don-lindsay-archive.org/skeptic/arguments.html
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

People that try to make a Christian contradict themselves just so they can be 'right'. They are equally as ignorant as they claim the Christian to be.

You can't get someone caught up in contradiction if there premise isn't based on it.

WEPR used to be a place where people could actually share opinions and not get shot down for them. Now it is a place for a couple of bullies that are atheists to find new ways to make a Christian look pwnd.
Anyone is entitled to their opinion, and yes while you see Christians trying to sway you to their side, they do it a bit more peacefully than some atheists around here.

Are we not allowed to challenge those opinions? When we do should we be chastised for it? When someone says something demonstrably wrong she we just stand on the sideline while those who don't know any better cheer and praise that person, or should we point out the flaw?
Apparently doing so makes us the bad guys because we pointed out that the king has no clothes on.
When we try and understand the other side through questioning we are equally treated as the bad guy, because we didn't just take what is being said for granted. Is it right that those question often get dodged?
What I see are people who have become more educated and don't let the ignorant statements slide as much.
Einfach
Einfach
1,448 posts
Nomad

And at this, I mean, if atheists can believe in whatever they choose, why not let Christians do that as well, without the army against them?

I hate the jump - "we're entitled to believing what we want" to "you shouldn't argue because you're interfering with people believing what they want (rather than what's right)."
Einfach
Einfach
1,448 posts
Nomad

Einfach, there is too much unknown to rule out any religion.

Oh please - you can't just make this assertion. You have no evidence nor reasoning nor anything to back up your claim (except faith, obviously). You cannot know what we don't know.
Showing 391-405 of 4668