ForumsWEPRTheism and Atheism

4668 1390603
thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

I grew up atheist for 16 years. I had always kept an open mind towards religion, but never really felt a need to believe in it. My sister started going to a Wednesday night children's program at a church. Eventually, I was dragged into a Christmas Eve service. Scoffing, I reluctantly went, assuming that this was going to be a load of crap, but when I went, I felt something. Something that I've never felt before. I felt a sense of empowerment and a sense of calling. Jesus called upon my soul, just like he did with his disciples. he wanted me to follow him. Now, my life is being lived for Christ. He died on the cross for my sins, and the sins of everyone who believes in him. He was beaten, brutalized, struck with a whip 39 times, made to carry a cross up to the stage of his death. This I believe to be true, and I can never repay him for what he has done.
I still have my struggles with Christianity, but I've found this bit of information most useful. Religion is not comprehensible in the human mind, because we cannot comprehend the idea of a perfect and supreme being, a God, but we can believe it in our heart, and that's the idea of faith. Faith is, even though everything rides against me believing in Jesus, I still believe in him because I know that it's true in my heart. I invite my fellow Brothers and sisters of the LORD to talk about how Jesus has helped you in your life. No atheists and no insults please

• 4,668 Replies
iMogwai
iMogwai
2,030 posts
Peasant

The name of God is granted from God. What other God granted his name to his followers, and wasn't named by them instead?

By the way, when you say he granted them his name, you don't actually mean the word god do you? Because that is a word, not a name, and it only makes it so much more likely that humans decided to call him that.
Einfach
Einfach
1,448 posts
Nomad

IT WAS EASTER SUNDAY 3 DAYS AGO AND OUR FAMILY WENT TO CHURCH AND I GOT TO HEAR THE STORY ABOUT JESUS CHRIST AND IT WAS SOO AMAZING!
JENJEN3451

Are you being sarcastic BECAUSE WHY ARE YOU YELLING!
Einfach
Einfach
1,448 posts
Nomad

AT CHURCH WERE NOT ALLOWED TO SAY ALLAHU ACKBAR CAUSE THATS ARABIC AND USED BY MUSLIMS AND WE ARE ALLOWED TO SAY IT IN ENGLISH WHICH IS GOD IS GREAT.
JENJEN3451

Please don't shout you're hurting my eeeears...

Do you have anything to say that is pertinent to the discussion.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Even if I'm wrong and will be cast into Hell just for misbelief, I'll have the largest loyal community down there. And if you'll be cast there, you'll be alone. After all, there's more than a billion Catholics, say 150 million are active and devout.

If you haven't noticed I'm not the only atheist around if we are to base criteria on common ground towards belief (in this case lack there of) in God.

Wha? Everyone must not kill, what exclusions and what conditions?

We kill animals for food, we kill for self defense or defense of others, some regard killing for territory acceptable... How we determine this is all very much subjectively based.

"All aspects of God are subjective" is false. Religions disagreeing on God's attributes don't alter the actual qualities of God.

You and every other person on this planet determines those attributes through feelings, that's pretty much the very definition of subjective.

Allah's name is written within the first verse of Quran, and is not a direct gift, like YHWH to Jews. However yes, Allah is another name for our God, used by Muslims, but since this name is man-made, the image of God is distorted by Muhammed, even if unintentionally. Yes, Christianity is Abrahamic religion, and Jesus was a faithful Judaist along with being Son of God. So what?

I'm not sure how your coming to the conclusion that this name is a gift. Even if it is, it's not a very good gift considering no one (allegedly save for a had full of Jews) know how it's suppose to be properly pronounced.
Einfach
Einfach
1,448 posts
Nomad

Everyone must not kill, what exclusions and what conditions?

Other ethical theories have their own explanations for why killing is wrong. Christianity does not have anything except an assertion: It's wrong because God said so.

And they are limited to an assertion, as well, because no virtues can exist without God, as we previously noted. So the only reason that things are, in fact, right and wrong, from a Christian standpoint, is God Himself and nothing more.

So if any of the points that other ethical theories make are, in fact, valid, then Christianity's view that God determines morality alone is refuted.
qwerty1011
qwerty1011
554 posts
Peasant

I think jenjen was trolling since their account was made today. Or else they are just stupid.

Wha? Everyone must not kill, what exclusions and what conditions?

Christianity and most other religions support the farming and killing of animals for meat since they were made by hunter gatherer cultures.
spartandestroyer
spartandestroyer
2,081 posts
Nomad

i have almost had enough of religion...

THERE IS NO GOD. there i said it.

phsycomonkey
phsycomonkey
789 posts
Nomad

Just because something is done in the bible, doesn't make it wrong unless it is said so, example, Cain killed Able, his brother, in Genesis. This doesn't mean we can kill our brothers, just throwing that out there.

phsycomonkey
phsycomonkey
789 posts
Nomad

Christians believe in Jesus, Jesus broke this rule in Mark.
Mark 2:

23One Sabbath Jesus was going through the grainfields, and as his disciples walked along, they began to pick some heads of grain. 24The Pharisees said to him, "Look, why are they doing what is unlawful on the Sabbath?"

25He answered, "Have you never read what David did when he and his companions were hungry and in need? 26In the days of Abiathar the high priest, he entered the house of God and ate the consecrated bread, which is lawful only for priests to eat. And he also gave some to his companions."

27Then he said to them, "The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath. 28So the Son of Man is Lord even of the Sabbath.

However, for Jews, I do not know.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Yes, you can discuss how loyal you guys are as you are tortured for all eternity. This comment just makes you look rather foolish, in essence saying it doesn't matter if you are wrong or right, because you have a bunch of people who think the same way,

Considering he has already stated this ("A completely illogical request. The religious will answer "Nothing" and will be right.&quot in another thread in regard to what would disprove the existence of God,I would say that bridge was crossed.
I find it to be even worse going as far as to say his version is the only correct version. ("Indeed, 33999 versions of Christianity are man-made, starting with Reformation.&quot Something I'm surprised the other Christians on here haven't take offense to.
Add to this how he has accused atheists for being the closed minded ones. ("While you don't want to accept God's signs deep inside your heart, no evidence will ever be enough for you.&quot I think he's pretty much done. This is nothing but hypocrisy and stupidity.

Christians believe in Jesus, Jesus broke this rule in Mark.

He also said non of the laws were to change. Something that when even pointed out seems to get ignored. It seems to me Jesus is being pretty inconsistent here.
InvisibleClarity
InvisibleClarity
40 posts
Nomad

Fact: A universe exists
Fact: Logic exists
Theory: A buildup of gases inside of a tiny universe caused a massive explosion, resulting in the expansion of said universe.
Theory: God created all.

Of which theory do we have more proof? According to the Bible, the Earth was created several thousand years ago. Where is the logic there? I have one word that refutes Creation: Dinosaur.

Einfach
Einfach
1,448 posts
Nomad

Of which theory do we have more proof? According to the Bible, the Earth was created several thousand years ago. Where is the logic there? I have one word that refutes Creation: Dinosaur.

Well, it's one thing to talk about logic; it's another to talk about parsimony. Yours seems to indicate that something is more parsimonious; however, it's not proof.
dudeguy45
dudeguy45
2,920 posts
Peasant

I just don't like how god has to be my superior. Can't we be so what equal?

loloynage2
loloynage2
4,211 posts
Peasant

I just don't like how god has to be my superior. Can't we be so what equal?

Ironic how that sounds like a marxist comment. Which, obviously supported atheism.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Theory: God created all.

It's not even a theory. At best we could call it a hypothesis if we wanted to push it. Mostly I would say it's just speculation.
Showing 1291-1305 of 4668