Forums

ForumsNews, Feedback and Suggestions

Reputation System Suggestion

Posted Apr 29, '11 at 3:20am

Reton8

Reton8

2,802 posts

Maybe when you go to vote up/down a comment/post a little box will come up then you put your reason in there. Then if a Moderator sees that a member in the WEPR section or any other section has a lot of negative reputation then they can see the reasons for it, then if it's not justified the Moderator takes away those negative reputation points.

Uhhh??? Wouldn't a system like that be completely archaic? The mods would be flooded with thousands, if not way more, types of comments that they'd have to sift through each day. What Cormyn said would be way easier.

We're looking at some math algorithms to calculate Reputation votes based on the relationship of the voter and the author and how many times that voter has voted for/against that author. So if someone constantly votes your stuff down 'cause they don't like it, their votes will be worth less.

Posted Apr 29, '11 at 4:07am

Pazx

Pazx

6,125 posts

But Reton, that isn't a solution. It would help if someone CONSTANTLY votes down your stuff, not if 30 people disagree with 1 or 2 things you say.

Maybe a disagree and flag?

Posted Apr 29, '11 at 3:01pm

Reton8

Reton8

2,802 posts

But Reton, that isn't a solution. It would help if someone CONSTANTLY votes down your stuff, not if 30 people disagree with 1 or 2 things you say.

Yeah, it wouldn't work, unless all 30 people constantly voted you down so that the algorithm would take effect. But that wouldn't work either.

The only thing I could think of is something like this:
You get 15 negative votes. The give a constant - 1 rep.
Then for each vote after 15 it decreases. -0.9 -0.7 -0.4

But that system would work because certain voters would have more power depending on when they vote down the comment.

Or, for example, like with what Pazx said a disagreement flag. So it could be something like this, in the WEPR section, and only the WEPR section, there is a disagreement flag (instead of just directly voting a comment down). After so many people disagree with a post it counts as one negative vote. So after 5 disagreements it would = 1 negative vote. There would still be the regular flag to flag inappropriate content.

But, all the stuff I said just sounds to complicated to implement and explain or use anyway. So who knows.

Posted Apr 29, '11 at 4:30pm

Patrick2011

Patrick2011

11,564 posts

About the WEPR discussion, a disagree would be a good idea, then an agree should also be there. Agrees and disagrees would then counter each other. If agrees and disagrees were included in WEPR, then that would leave the normal up/down vote for other reasons.

Posted Apr 29, '11 at 7:36pm

cormyn

cormyn

2,962 posts

Knight

I just want to point out the way Newgrounds does their ranking stuff.

Man, that's a LOT of different point values to keep up with, Reton8. I do like the 'broken whistle' idea though.

GoM: I'm not big on the idea of having to explain why you're voting for a comment, though. As Reton8 said, it would make too much chatter on the system for us to sift through.

that system would work because certain voters would have more power depending on when they vote down the comment.

Well, sorta, but it's got nothing to do with *when* they vote on a comment, it has to do with their relationship with the author when they vote for it.

A disagreement flag would only work on hot topic threads like WEPR. It wouldn't have any use in a "count to 100" forum game. And as we've already stated, we don't really want to get into programming custom controls for some forums and not others.

Posted Apr 29, '11 at 11:17pm

Pazx

Pazx

6,125 posts

(other than spam) What would you vote down? I'm actually struggling to see a need for a negative rep button and if there is one implemented I don't believe it should affect your rep, it should be "This is a bad idea D:<"

So if someone constantly votes your stuff down 'cause they don't like it, their votes will be worth less.

What about if somebody constantly votes your stuff up? They could be using alts, or they could be popular.

in the WEPR section, and only the WEPR section

S&S

Posted Apr 29, '11 at 11:24pm

GhostOfMatrix

GhostOfMatrix

15,472 posts

Knight

(other than spam) What would you vote down?

- People that try to troll.
- Useless posts that aren't considered spam but are still useless.
Example: Random Video Game Thread
I like this game because it's fun and it kept me entertained for a while. <----- I would vote that down.
- Someone trying to flame another user.

Posted Apr 30, '11 at 2:25am

Pazx

Pazx

6,125 posts

- People that try to troll

Uh oh.

Random Video Game Thread
I like this game because it's fun and it kept me entertained for a while.

Spam.

- Someone trying to flame another user.

Can't we just have a flag?

Posted Apr 30, '11 at 1:49pm

FateIsEscaped

FateIsEscaped

19 posts

I find the idea of Checkpoints and Decaying interesting ideas.

Here's one more idea for the pile.

One idea I have for a reputation system is simple.

Instead of giving all people on the site some sort of "number" reputation, give everyone a percentile.

Meaning, your percentile among all users on the website.

For example, if you have the most rep on the site, you would be in the top 1% of users for rep. This would show on your profile as 100%!

Why is the percentile idea a good one?

Because, a number, of some sort is very meaningless unless we can relate it to other people. 100% is like scoring in the top 1% of all SAT test takers.

Posted Apr 30, '11 at 1:50pm

Patrick2011

Patrick2011

11,564 posts

Instead of giving all people on the site some sort of "number" reputation, give everyone a percentile.

Meaning, your percentile among all users on the website.

For example, if you have the most rep on the site, you would be in the top 1% of users for rep. This would show on your profile as 100%!

Why is the percentile idea a good one?

Because, a number, of some sort is very meaningless unless we can relate it to other people. 100% is like scoring in the top 1% of all SAT test takers.

That could work, especially since Reputation shouldn't be thought of as points.

Reply to Reputation System Suggestion

You must be logged in to post a reply!