ForumsNews and FeedbackReputation System Suggestion

344 96694
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Feel free to discuss ideas about the Reputation system, known to some users as the "karma system", although "reputation" is what we'll be calling it on AG3.

The Reputation System may not be present at AG3 launch, but is a high priority post-launch. It will allow other users to participate in ranking your community involvement, to a degree.

We're still open to ideas on it, so feel free to share your thoughts and ideas, and ask any questions.

• 344 Replies
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

use the walls as live chats with all their friends will most likely compete or egg each other on to get more points.

The profiles on there are similar to Facebook and the reputation system won't be there. It'll only be in the forums and in game comments, so reputation will be from game comments and forum posts and armor points will be from achievements in games.

It'll be a lot more work anyway since they've talked about giving mods the ability to see flagged posts/comments.
benjaminio
benjaminio
83 posts
Nomad

Could we have a trial, like a testing period for it? Because I think it will work really well, but there are many possible problems that we could have, so why don't we have a go at it, then see how it goes from there?

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

They'd have to migrate the forums and comments to AG3 for that, which would take quite a while. They're probably saving that for last.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,988 posts
Grand Duke

The profiles on there are similar to Facebook and the reputation system won't be there. It'll only be in the forums and in game comments, so reputation will be from game comments and forum posts and armor points will be from achievements in games.

That doesn't stop one from posting incessantly on the games section. Also, won't it be possible to rank up comments like ''This Game is good'' etc etc?
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

Probably if a lot of people feel the need to vote up a comment like that instead of making their own, but mods would delete those.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,988 posts
Grand Duke

Probably if a lot of people feel the need to vote up a comment like that instead of making their own, but mods would delete those.

That would entail a lot of work for the mods which they clearly can't cope with seeing how many of such comments there are.

My point was that people could get their friends to vote up such lousy comments; not excessively, but still help them.
benjaminio
benjaminio
83 posts
Nomad

Could there be any way allow someone to only vote something up once? A little bit like the comment time limit, but they will only able to vote a certain comment up once. It would stop their friends from being able to vote up their friends comments more than once, but still allow other people to do so

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

That would entail a lot of work for the mods which they clearly can't cope with seeing how many of such comments there are.

Well, they already go through comments and delete the spammy ones. And if they can see flagged things in AG3 then I expect it to be easier.
My point was that people could get their friends to vote up such lousy comments; not excessively, but still help them.

Yep, there's going to be a con in everything. An idea would be if anyone on your friends list or you are close to votes up your things then it won't count as a full reputation point.
Could there be any way allow someone to only vote something up once?

That's the idea; they don't want you spamming the vote up thing for people giving them a lot of reputation points, so I'd expect them only setting it for one vote for one thing.
benjaminio
benjaminio
83 posts
Nomad

Yep, there's going to be a con in everything. An idea would be if anyone on your friends list or you are close to votes up your things then it won't count as a full reputation point.

But then what if they really think its a good comment, or a really good forum post, or if they have heaps of friends? Then they would be at a disadvantage to others, even if their friends are being honest and really think a certain comment is good.
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

Dunno, I'm sure they'll figure something out for this.

Aeridani
Aeridani
360 posts
Nomad

What about something like you can only "like" about 20-50 comments a day or so depending on your status? (Rank, Karma, etc.)

Rhidian
Rhidian
68 posts
Nomad

I think that Reputation has its own Cons and Pros.

Reputation as i see it, have a negative impact on those who are not well know, or don't have a good reputation will be ignored. I'm not exactly sure about armorgames, but other sites that have reputation have had this problem, and has led to Member decrease (So they tell me)...

I think that reputation would be an interesting feature, and it should definitely be implemented. Even though it might have negative impacts, it might encourage people to make posts with good grammar/easy to read, and useful posts that could help the community of Armorgames.

Just my Opinion.

Cheers,
-Rhi

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

What about something like you can only "like" about 20-50 comments a day or so depending on your status?

I'd like it more if we could vote things up freely. There will be a lot of things I'd like to vote up, some in the forums but mostly in game comments since I occasionally see good reviews that I agree with. The voting up feature will be similar to that of YouTube, where you vote things up you like for whatever reason. There won't be a dislike option at start, though, since they want to see how this turns out first.

I don't think they should add a dislike option, anyway. It could be abused by a group of people whom dislike you, so that would turn out bad. Instead they should upgrade/improve the flag feature so that you can actually put in a reason for flagging something. And when you do flag something it goes into a little panel showing all the flags so the mods can view them and act upon them accordingly.

So a vote up feature and an improved flag will be better than disliking something.
I think that reputation would be an interesting feature, and it should definitely be implemented. Even though it might have negative impacts, it might encourage people to make posts with good grammar/easy to read, and useful posts that could help the community of Armorgames.

It will definitely be good if people use it correctly. By that I mean if people actually vote good things up, like if an answer to a thread is good, someone posts something in a discussion thread that a lot of people agree with, great reviews on games, etc., instead of spammy things like "good game" "i don't like this", etc.
benjaminio
benjaminio
83 posts
Nomad

The one problem I can see is that if you're posting in a forum that doesn't have that many current viewers, or only a few people carrying on the thread, this limits the amount of reputation you can receive for a post.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

Well, that wouldn't make sense to have. It's obvious you wouldn't receive a lot of reputation if people weren't viewing the thread, but once they do some might get their stuff voted up. And I don't think only people participating in the thread should be the only ones allowed to vote things up - everyone should be able to.

Showing 226-240 of 344