ForumsNews and FeedbackMy (Krizaz) review of AG3.0

29 8391
Krizaz
Krizaz
2,399 posts
Nomad

Very recently (yesterday) I got into the BETA (Yay me!) and it's actually pretty cool. It seems a bit like FaceBook but is more user friendly once you start using it, and is actually much better than I anticipated. Like before, AG has done a great job from going from it's older site and switching to a new one. Lets take a look at the old Armor Games.

Games of Gondor: 2004
http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q431/Geckoboy_2008/Screenshot2011-04-13at83300PM.png

Look at that, AG used to be one of those stupid sites that just takes free games from other sites.

ArmorGames1.0: 2005
http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q431/Geckoboy_2008/Screenshot2011-04-13at83140PM.png

After Games of Gondor was reportedly sued by some little guy known as Peter Jackson and LOtR people, they had to change the name. It looks about the same, but with a few new things.

ArmorGames2.0: 2008
http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q431/Geckoboy_2008/Screenshot2011-04-13at82740PM.png

AG went under another huge change in 2008 with the launch of AG2.0. Including members and a much easier layout, making AG a real contender in the Flash Game department.

ArmorGames3.0: 2011
http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q431/Geckoboy_2008/Screenshot2011-04-13at83929PM.png

This probably has to be the biggest change, it is a lot like AG 2.0, there's games, a profile, a community (current on this thing called 'Get Satisfied, really hope it moves), but there are so many different things. For instance... There's a live ticker that tracks your gaming history, an inbox, and hopefully a post editor.

What I like

My favorite part of AG is in fact that there are no AP (Armor Points), all they do is cause a squabble among new users and become boasting rights among some. It's not like I have no AP and don't want anybody to have AP, (I'm in the top 500), but it will boost the importance of the forum. Instead of people doing a bunch of point spams, well have people in the forums, hope fully they don't spam, but I think it will help.

Another thing I like about this is the feel, the game interface is much nicer, more of a pop out window and the whole ratings thing is not at the bottom of the game, it is much more spread out and nicer in my opinion. I also really like the fact that I can see who 'friended' m, which shows up as followers.
http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q431/Geckoboy_2008/Screenshot2011-04-13at90149PM.png

What I don't like

The constant stream of information on your page can get annoying. Freakenstien had a great idea of making on part of this stream as a status update and friend update part, and another as a gaming tracker.
http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q431/Geckoboy_2008/Screenshot2011-04-13at90446PM.png

Another thing I don't really like, but also like at the same time is that it does feel a bit like FB. You have your friends, followers, and followed. I'm not complaining too much, but you can see the resemblance. I have one more complaint... When I first got on it was very difficult to find my way around. I had to sign into the forums with my FaceBook, and the AG site wants me to sign into FB.

This is what the forums look like right now. I don't like them, but you can see that the real site has a Forum button that doesn't work.
http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q431/Geckoboy_2008/Screenshot2011-04-13at90928PM.png

I like the site, obviously there can be some changes, and your feedback is welcome.

• 29 Replies
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

ShadowShank696, I'd be curious what you consider to be "too many bugs and glitches" to give anyone the opinion that "it's not worth using" ... by all means, submit bug reports, tell us what's broken.

spjohn
spjohn
10 posts
Jester

I really really would like to be one of the beta testers! I wish I could help decreasing AG developing team's workload a little bit by finding unwanted bugs and glitches. Sadly I haven't receive any invitation.

darkrai097
darkrai097
862 posts
Nomad

@ShadowShank the purpose of the beta is to find bugs. It's not just a sneak-peek thing.

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

I really really would like to be one of the beta testers! I wish I could help decreasing AG developing team's workload a little bit by finding unwanted bugs and glitches. Sadly I haven't receive any invitation.

Let's hope you signed up for Beta, because otherwise, you'd be waiting a very long time! I don't know when the next update will be released--Cormyn and the developers haven't released the info on that yet. I guess for now you can stay put and be giddy until they do :P
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

We're on a 3-week release cycle, so next release will be May 3rd

Krizaz
Krizaz
2,399 posts
Nomad

We're on a 3-week release cycle, so next release will be May 3rd

Do you send out a number of invites every update? Do we get to know what will be activated next update?
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Right now, everyone who signs up between releases will get an invite code. As for what's coming up, check the forum for posts that start with "AG Calendar" ... I just posted the May 3rd notes (so far)

knight_34
knight_34
13,822 posts
Farmer

I find it kinda funny how you refer to Peter Jackson (the director of the LoTR films) as some little guy. Dan did get sued by Tolkien's estate for infringing upon his IP.

Great review. It's wonderful to see how AG has progressed over the years. The sky is the limit.

Krizaz
Krizaz
2,399 posts
Nomad

Knight! Haven't seen you in awhile, although I'm not that observant when it comes to that.

Thanks for the compliment.

david99noisy
david99noisy
9 posts
Nomad

Fantastic Review! The only thing I dislike is how in the first image there are large black borders around the games. That way you can barely fit as many games into the space like you do now in v2.

thaboss
thaboss
1,649 posts
Nomad

Fantastic Review! The only thing I dislike is how in the first image there are large black borders around the games. That way you can barely fit as many games into the space like you do now in v2.

there's supposed to be bigger icons in that big black space, but they're not there yet.
Highfire
Highfire
3,026 posts
Nomad

Do you know what I find ironic? I don't know too much about AG3 but wouldn't it have been easier if you used that to post this?
xD
Other than that, great review mate, good to see some high heads up here and WOAH, new features are amazing! Can't wait to use them, lol

- H

Krizaz
Krizaz
2,399 posts
Nomad

Do you know what I find ironic? I don't know too much about AG3 but wouldn't it have been easier if you used that to post this?

The forums don't work yet.

Other than that, great review mate, good to see some high heads up here and WOAH, new features are amazing! Can't wait to use them, lol

It's really easy to get into the beta and use them.

AG3.0
Showing 16-28 of 29