ForumsNews and FeedbackSUPER KARMA!

31 7768
Krizaz
Krizaz
2,399 posts
Nomad

Hello.

You may know me from the review of AG3, or from the fact I have about 1,600 posts, but whatever you may know, I'm here to jam something great into your guts and make you bleed ideas.

I've heard that AG3 will have a Karma system, and because as far I know there is no way to distribute this Karma, why don't I start with an idea. So my idea is...

What if we got 1 Karma to distribute for each 100 post we had, that way people would be encouraged to post on the forums people would get frustrated that they can only give 1 Karma point, so thats why they woud want to post more often. Of course, people under 100 post wouldn't get to give ay Karma, but thats the point, let them get to know people in the forum before they get to give Karma.

Plus, it's a possibility... But was John giving us a hint when we would get Karma for racing online in Exit Path 2... Oo?

http://s3.amazonaws.com/cramster-image/blog/thumb.jpg

• 31 Replies
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

There is a (very) small difference between dumb, unintelligible posts and spam.

Spam can mean many things - posts that are under seven words and even posts that don't contribute much to the thread. But people can still posts if it doesn't contribute much and it's about ten words in length.
I can't tell if you are supporting or arguing his statement but the off topic forums on Kong are immeasurably worse than the tavern here.

The latter, and the two are comparable. I've seen the tavern from I started frequenting to forums to now. And it has degenerated much over that time.

Of course OT is worse because you can post just about anything that follows the PG-13 rule, but you can almost do that in the Tavern as well, you just have to follow the spam rule here.
master565
master565
4,107 posts
Nomad

. I've seen the tavern from I started frequenting to forums to now. And it has degenerated much over that time.

I haven't been with the forums for long but the tavern has seem to have gotten worse due to an overwhelming amount of terrible threads.
Krizaz
Krizaz
2,399 posts
Nomad

On the topic of the Tavern... Yes it has deteriorated. I don't know how, but we used to have a lot more mature users of AG., not saying that we don't know, but they're certainly are less to a point that the stupid topics are much more noticeable. Heck, I used to love the tavern.

i generally consider SPAM as unrelated images, short post that have nothing to do with the topic, and advertising.

Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

I haven't been with the forums for long but the tavern has seem to have gotten worse due to an overwhelming amount of terrible threads.

Maybe there is a common problem that is affecting the AG community, but I'm not sure what it is.
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

Back to the topic...
I've noticed that there's a thread about reputation/karma already.

What if we got 1 Karma to distribute for each 100 post we had, that way people would be encouraged to post on the forums

I don't see how getting one karma point would encourage a lot of people to come to the forums more - yeah, we'll probably get a few people that really want that point and then have the regulars left on the site. But generally, it would make people leave, I think. Because of how they would have to post. The up/down vote thing next to posts will play a big part in who visits the community and how their posts are made.

I'd think that it would be fine if you would get good karma/reputation for getting your posts voted up then get negative karma if you get down-voted, a Moderator/Administrator deletes your post. Stuff like that would be fine.

But the number that you would gain or lose, I don't know...
Krizaz
Krizaz
2,399 posts
Nomad

I don't see how getting one karma point would encourage a lot of people to come to the forums more

If they made it so you get 1 Karma for every 10 posts, then Karma would become worthless and too plentiful. Think about inflation in the economy, it's not a good thing. So keeping Karma scarce is a good way to know who is the most popular in the forums.

I've been talking about that many Karma per day.
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

If they made it so you get 1 Karma for every 10 posts, then Karma would become worthless and too plentiful. Think about inflation in the economy, it's not a good thing. So keeping Karma scarce is a good way to know who is the most popular in the forums.

Okay. But I still like the idea of getting karma from getting posts up-voted and such.

If a post gets up-voted by someone on your friends list then you don't get as much as you would from a person that isn't on your friends list.

What about game comments?

I think that if you make a great game review and it gets up-voted by a few people then you should get rewarded with karma for it. Sort of replacing merits with that.

--

Off topic: I have to go now - I'll be back in about an hour or two.
Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

If a post gets up-voted by someone on your friends list then you don't get as much as you would from a person that isn't on your friends list.

That is part of why the Reputation system is going to be smart and spam reducing.
master565
master565
4,107 posts
Nomad

That would discourage friends though.

What about game comments?

I think that if you make a great game review and it gets up-voted by a few people then you should get rewarded with karma for it. Sort of replacing merits with that.

Aren't they doing that already?
Krizaz
Krizaz
2,399 posts
Nomad

I wold rather not get game comments involved in this. Maybe more of a vite up/down thing like Yahoo! does, with tabs for newest/oldest/popular. there'd be no Karma for those, but makes the user feel good.

ProfessorOak
ProfessorOak
993 posts
Nomad

I still like the idea of getting karma from getting posts up-voted and such

This idea sounds interesting to me. Maybe 10+ positive thumbs up would equal one Karma point? Also, we would have to think, would a thumbs down bring down from the positive thumbs up, or would it just be displayed separately? :0
Krizaz
Krizaz
2,399 posts
Nomad

This idea sounds interesting to me. Maybe 10+ positive thumbs up would equal one Karma point? Also, we would have to think, would a thumbs down bring down from the positive thumbs up, or would it just be displayed separately? :0

Although it may be a good idea instead of the Karma system, I would think 10 ups wouldn't be enough. If you had a up/down system on the forum, it would take away from the reputation system, and vice versa.
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

That would discourage friends though.

No it wouldn't. You just wouldn't get the same amount of points from non-friends voting up your posts, but you'd still get some points if your friends vote up your stuff.

It should be less for friends because you could just ask your friends to vote up all your posts. And that's not fair.
master565
master565
4,107 posts
Nomad

It should be less for friends because you could just ask your friends to vote up all your posts. And that's not fair.

I understand that but Cormyn mentioned something about when the one person keeps rating the same person their ratings count less.
Krizaz
Krizaz
2,399 posts
Nomad

I don't really like the more/less friends thing, it would just make the friends pointless. I actually am serious about the friends list thing. But I like the idea of the thumbs up/down Karma idea, although maybe more like 100-250 thumbs up is a Karma point for the week.

In this way, post counts will be permanent for Karma, but thumbs will be temporary.

Example:
2000 Post - 20 Karma per day
With the thumbs up +1 Karma for a week. So you'd get 21 (example) Karma for a week for each topic/post with that many thumbs up.

Showing 16-30 of 31