ForumsNews and FeedbackLive Chat Suggestion

504 162137
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

To avoid so many duplicate threads, please place your ideas and thoughts on a live chat system here.

Initially, we weren't going to do a live chat, but enough users asked for it that Dan has agreed, and we'll add a live chat to the system AFTER we launch AG3. It will NOT be part of the AG3 launch.

Ideas that others have suggested:
- custom channels
- password-protected channels
- kick/ban controls
- moderation controls
- report a user

We don't know yet if the chat will be Flash based, Java based, or something else.

• 504 Replies
Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

How would this me moderated? Special chat moderators? Or just some specialized software?

gaboloth
gaboloth
1,613 posts
Peasant

I think that with user created rooms moderation shouldn't be a big problem. Everyone who starts a room is a chat moderator and he can make new chat mods, and people would just stay away from the badly moderated rooms. Of course chat moderators would only have power inside the chat, so they can ban someone from a room but they can't ban them from AG.

Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

I think the real moderators would also be able to moderate the chat system.

Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

I think that with user created rooms moderation shouldn't be a big problem. Everyone who starts a room is a chat moderator and he can make new chat mods, and people would just stay away from the badly moderated rooms. Of course chat moderators would only have power inside the chat, so they can ban someone from a room but they can't ban them from AG.

Is that what they plan to do, or is that your idea? Either way, thats a good idea, and it would work.
gaboloth
gaboloth
1,613 posts
Peasant

No it's just my idea ^^
Some other thoughts:
- I don't think it's a good idea to have it only in the games pages like on kongregate. The chats are always filled with hundreds of people that just play the games, so even if they can have up to 250 people in, you'll never have more than 10 people chatting. And a good half of the ones chatting are playing some of those blank games meant just for chatting... I'd rather have a normal chat page like what they're planning on newgrounds.
- do you guys want to keep the same strict rules of the forums about profanity? Because with self-moderating user made rooms some inappropriate chats will surely show up. And usually people tend to swear more on chats rather than forums. You know, verba volans, scripta manent...

ProfessorOak
ProfessorOak
993 posts
Nomad

- do you guys want to keep the same strict rules of the forums about profanity? Because with self-moderating user made rooms some inappropriate chats will surely show up. And usually people tend to swear more on chats rather than forums. You know verba volans, scripta manent...

I hope that there will be a filter system on the chats, or maybe have the owner of the chat choose for themeselves? That would be a nice feature.
Also, while browsing through the chat room titles, there should be a warning of explicit language, if there is.
dillsoccer
dillsoccer
147 posts
Nomad

There should be filtering to a certain extent.I dont want to pick the words coming out of my mouth.

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

How would this me moderated?

We'd probably have the moderators hang out in the chat from time to time, but the rooms will be mostly user-policed with some way to report abusive users. And you'd have to be registered and logged in to use the chat system.

Everyone who starts a room is a chat moderator

It depends how complex of a live chat system we find. I've seen some which extend moderator powers to users who create channels, let them password-protect their channels, etc. I just don't know how advanced of a chat engine we'll end up with, so cannot promise anything.

is this in game chat like on shockwave?

No, it would be separate from the games. However, this does raise a tricky point about where on the site we place the chat window so you can continue to chat while you browse around the site.

do you guys want to keep the same strict rules of the forums about profanity?

Yes, and we'll want to find a chat engine that gives users a way to report other users to the moderators/admins in some way, whether it sends a log of the last 50 lines of the chat or something.
thepunisher93
thepunisher93
1,825 posts
Nomad

there should b a shout box dude

TerryLasVegas
TerryLasVegas
774 posts
Nomad

Everyone who starts a room is a chat moderator

What if its a spammer or a troll who does nothing but post explicit things or ban people for no reason?
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

TerryLasVegas, that's where the "report user" feature would come in. Even if they created the room, you'd still be able to report them.

Osumnis
Osumnis
1,147 posts
Shepherd

No, it would be separate from the games. However, this does raise a tricky point about where on the site we place the chat window so you can continue to chat while you browse around the site.

It should be like the gmail chat, in the corner somewhere, it should be able to be moved around and you should have the ability to change the size.
alejachu
alejachu
7 posts
Nomad

Will it be possible form teams?

dillsoccer
dillsoccer
147 posts
Nomad

that would be cool.I dont know how that would turn out

Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

Will it be possible form teams?

There will be a clan system in AG3. Discuss it in the appropriate sticky.
Showing 1-15 of 504