ForumsNews and FeedbackLive Chat Suggestion

504 162668
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

To avoid so many duplicate threads, please place your ideas and thoughts on a live chat system here.

Initially, we weren't going to do a live chat, but enough users asked for it that Dan has agreed, and we'll add a live chat to the system AFTER we launch AG3. It will NOT be part of the AG3 launch.

Ideas that others have suggested:
- custom channels
- password-protected channels
- kick/ban controls
- moderation controls
- report a user

We don't know yet if the chat will be Flash based, Java based, or something else.

• 504 Replies
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

Some mentioned that earlier in this thread, but I think they scraped that idea because they want the chats to be public for everyone. But if you want that then you can use an offsite chat system like Xat or TinyChat.

benjaminio
benjaminio
83 posts
Nomad

Then suppose we could limit the amount of people that can make chatboxes to like 5000 or 10000
wouldnt that still lag the hell out of the chat room?
devsaupa
devsaupa
1,810 posts
Nomad

Yes, it would lag like crazy, but not as much as a custom chat room. I don't think that many people would even be on at the same time and want to go to a chat box. That is a huge number if you look at the amount of consistent users on AG.
undelivering
undelivering
65 posts
Nomad

@ghost then the site won't be laggy as ernie said

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

What do you mean? I don't understand how that correlates with what I posted. I just don't like the idea of private/custom made chatrooms on AG because you can do whatever you want in there and it's restricting people from communicating. Yes, it would be convenient to have that so you can talk with a group of friends privately, but if you don't have a moderator in there to regulate it then people will start breaking rules and if you report them then they probably can't do anything since it's private. While with public made chat rooms by the admins it'll be easier and better for all, aside from the people who want to group chat. But if you want to group chat things privately that can't be held in a public chatroom (not sure why it couldn't be held in a public chatroom, I doubt all the chatrooms will receive a lot of traffic, but this is if they actually go through with the idea of making a lot of them and restricting the amount of people that can be in a single chat room to something around 100 or so) then you can simply go to an offsite chat service like Xat or TinyChat and everyone's happy.

Having that many chat rooms is unnecessary and they probably won't allow us to create custom chats. I'd say they should start off by making about 20 separate chatrooms and limit the amount of people who can be in there to about 100 or so, so then it won't be too difficult to manage. I doubt the current mods (only 2-4 of them are active) will have much time to monitor them, considering that most of them are busy with school and/or work.
benjaminio
benjaminio
83 posts
Nomad

20 chat rooms sounds good, and yea i guess there wouldnt be that many people that would want go in a chat room at the same time anyway. if u really wanted to talk to someone private i guess you'll just have to do it elsewhere :P

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

20 chat rooms sounds good, and yea i guess there wouldnt be that many people that would want go in a chat room at the same time anyway.

Given time zones and the lack of activity in the forums, I don't think there'd be many people frequenting them. But if they have a page for it and a button up there with the rest like "submit games, news, community" etc then I think they could get populated soon.
if u really wanted to talk to someone private i guess you'll just have to do it elsewhere

Well, they'll have a private messaging system on the profiles and probably in chat for two people, but most likely not for a whole group of people. That could be easily abused since you can just gather up some friends, get into a private group chat then do whatever you want.
benjaminio
benjaminio
83 posts
Nomad

Ah, I'm starting to get it now. I think many people would go on chat rooms for a specific reason, probably a game that is difficult, and I think the private messaging on the profiles will be used heaps, looking good armour games:P

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

I think many people would go on chat rooms for a specific reason, probably a game that is difficult

Well, that, and people like to communicate with others in a faster way and to hold conversations with a lot of people. I'd probably use them often if they're introduced, would be a better way of communicating with friends on this site instead of checking my profile every few minutes to see if they responded to a comment of mine.
benjaminio
benjaminio
83 posts
Nomad

Could we have a private chat room, but everything in there gets recorded and soon after a mod would read over it and make sure nothing inappropriate was being said? And then if there was anything bad, the mod would follow up and deal with it?

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

That'd be too much work for them to check every private room for inappropriate things which is why they probably won't implement them.

invalid777
invalid777
2,074 posts
Nomad

That'd be too much work for them to check every private room for inappropriate things which is why they probably won't implement them.

I think territory war online's chat turns any inappropriate word into asterisks. But even with that, people still get away with it.
devsaupa
devsaupa
1,810 posts
Nomad

I think territory war online's chat turns any inappropriate word into asterisks. But even with that, people still get away with it.

There are multiple ways to cheat it so having a censored chat is pretty useless unless you have mods everywhere. Private chat rooms would be fun, but the work that would go into checking each one for any inappropriate things would be huge. If only people could be trusted...
Snowflake4579
Snowflake4579
78 posts
Nomad

give a auto ban for 3 strikes used or more and have to wait a week or more depending on how severe your faults were

devsaupa
devsaupa
1,810 posts
Nomad

Do you mean that user give the "strikes"? Isn't there the possibility that they strike people just to get them banned?
If you are talking about the mods, they still need to go in there and find the person doing bad things.

Showing 226-240 of 504