ForumsNews and FeedbackLive Chat Suggestion

504 162812
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

To avoid so many duplicate threads, please place your ideas and thoughts on a live chat system here.

Initially, we weren't going to do a live chat, but enough users asked for it that Dan has agreed, and we'll add a live chat to the system AFTER we launch AG3. It will NOT be part of the AG3 launch.

Ideas that others have suggested:
- custom channels
- password-protected channels
- kick/ban controls
- moderation controls
- report a user

We don't know yet if the chat will be Flash based, Java based, or something else.

• 504 Replies
DrElmer
DrElmer
552 posts
Shepherd

Isn't there the possibility that they strike people just to get them banned?

If one person strikes the same person 3 times, they'd get banned. If there was a rule against that, three people would just team up against someone they didn't like and each one would strike that person once. So that's why that system doesn't work.
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

Us normal members should never have the ability to strike other users, powers, etc. because they could be easily abused by others; leave those type of things to the mods and admins. Such as, if I were to visit a chat room and a few people were there who didn't like me for whatever reason then they could use that against me and I couldn't visit the chat.

The only thing somewhat similar to that we should have in a chat is the ability to flag someone so it sends a report to the mods/admins, that way it'll be discreet and they could decide if they should take action or not. However, they'll need chat logs or this system wouldn't work well.
Example:
Person 1: Hello everybody!
Person 2: Shut up, you're stupid [insert other insults here].
Person 1: *presses flag button on near Person 2's name*
Then the mods/admins would be able to see the report and their chat history.

invalid777
invalid777
2,074 posts
Nomad

There are multiple ways to cheat it so having a censored chat is pretty useless unless you have mods everywhere. Private chat rooms would be fun, but the work that would go into checking each one for any inappropriate things would be huge. If only people could be trusted...

Yeah, but then wouldn't that be stalker-ish? Maybe AG could make a rule like you have to be at least six months old (on AG) and if they do have an 'active-meter' thing, then you would have to have a certain amount of site activity or something. I dunno.

Us normal members should never have the ability to strike other users, powers, etc. because they could be easily abused by others; leave those type of things to the mods and admins.

Well, hopefully in AG3 the flag system thing will work out better and maybe it'll report it to a mod, since it seems like the mods are more active than the admins.
ProfessorOak
ProfessorOak
993 posts
Nomad

On the private chat note, I don't believe ArmorGames should be responsible for what goes down in them, hence the name private chat. Really, you shouldn't start a private chat with someone you don't get along with in the first place.
On the public chat note, the Administration could simply take the time to find mature users that frequent the chat rooms a lot, and invite them to Moderate that room. Also, I believe there should be a maximum amount of users in a chat at one time so there wouldn't be chaos, if it ever gets to be that crowded.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

On the private chat note, I don't believe ArmorGames should be responsible for what goes down in them, hence the name private chat. Really, you shouldn't start a private chat with someone you don't get along with in the first place.

That wasn't something we were talking about. They were talking about a group private chat, not a one on one thing.
On the public chat note, the Administration could simply take the time to find mature users that frequent the chat rooms a lot, and invite them to Moderate that room.

So like chat mods? I mentioned it several times in the past and they said no to it on all occasions.
AlkalineTalk
AlkalineTalk
12 posts
Nomad

Public Chat with no mods/admins- SPAAAMFEST.
Private Chat- Not a bad Idea. But wouldn't private message take care of that, just slower?
Group Private Chat- Set up a room and invite people in. I actually think this is the best idea.

dmanrules56
dmanrules56
7 posts
Nomad

I think it should be something similar to Kongregate's chat, as in being next to the game, but with the option to open in a pop-up window. On the topic of private chat, I agree with ProfessorOak. It doesn't need as good of a moderation because, chances are, you know the person you are chatting with.

DrElmer
DrElmer
552 posts
Shepherd

Public Chat with no mods/admins- SPAAAMFEST.

Why would any chat have no mods or admins?

Private Chat- Not a bad Idea. But wouldn't private message take care of that, just slower?

That can be done offsite.

Group Private Chat- Set up a room and invite people in. I actually think this is the best idea.

Again, this can be done offsite.
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

I think it should be something similar to Kongregate's chat, as in being next to the game

Problem with this is that an admin has already said no to this idea. The chats will probably be on a page on the site, such as when you see "community", "help", etc. it'll be up there saying "chat" and it'll have a page with a few chat rooms and you can choose which one to go to.
Why would any chat have no mods or admins?

Because there's 3-4 active mods of about 9 of them and assuming a lot of people will visit the chat rooms it will turn into garbage soon.
That can be done offsite.

Private chat and messages between two users will most likely be in AG3, but not group private chats because those will probably turn messy.
undelivering
undelivering
65 posts
Nomad

It may cause to much lag though.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

It won't if they do it correctly, which I'm sure they will. I doubt they'd want to make something for the site that will cause major lag and result in many users complaining, that'd be bad for business.

ProfessorOak
ProfessorOak
993 posts
Nomad

Because there's 3-4 active mods of about 9 of them and assuming a lot of people will visit the chat rooms it will turn into garbage soon.

What's their reasoning for not having chat moderators?
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,349 posts
Bard

What's their reasoning for not having chat moderators?

The admins have made it clear before that if they don't trust you with the full-blown mod powers, they won't give you any mod powers.
eelephants
eelephants
23 posts
Nomad

So you can just add random friends right?
Well what if you send requests about being friends then you can only chat with the people you agreed to be friends with.
As for filters and such; how about a filter that sensors swears automatically. Anyone who swears should be reported to the website and lose points or something.

dmanrules56
dmanrules56
7 posts
Nomad

Well what if you send requests about being friends then you can only chat with the people you agreed to be friends with.

The problem there is that you don't get much chat outside of people you already know, which kinda destroys the purpose of chat, you know?
As for filters and such; how about a filter that sensors swears automatically. Anyone who swears should be reported to the website and lose points or something.

Trust me, there are an endless number of ways people will figure out to get around censors. It's a good idea, but people have already figured it out.
Showing 241-255 of 504