ForumsNews and FeedbackLive Chat Suggestion

504 162807
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

To avoid so many duplicate threads, please place your ideas and thoughts on a live chat system here.

Initially, we weren't going to do a live chat, but enough users asked for it that Dan has agreed, and we'll add a live chat to the system AFTER we launch AG3. It will NOT be part of the AG3 launch.

Ideas that others have suggested:
- custom channels
- password-protected channels
- kick/ban controls
- moderation controls
- report a user

We don't know yet if the chat will be Flash based, Java based, or something else.

• 504 Replies
Aeridani
Aeridani
360 posts
Nomad

What about in "world" chat, you can send a message only every 3 seconds?

And in &quotrivate" chat, you can send a message every second?

Matthewrents
Matthewrents
15 posts
Nomad

What about in "world" chat, you can send a message only every 3 seconds?

And in &quotrivate" chat, you can send a message every second?

I like this idea. It makes sense. I have been thinking and I feel 3 seconds seems reasonable. Then for private chats, you invite people in, and the host can kick at will. Hopefully someone you invite in wont be spamming, but you could kick anyone that would.
devsaupa
devsaupa
1,810 posts
Nomad

and the host can kick at will

I could see some problems developing from this if a host kicks at random. Even though you stated this already in your post I will say it again, you shouldn't need to kick anyone you have invited. And a message every three seconds could lead to major spam. Three seconds is about how long it takes to write a spam post, and refresh the page to post again.
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

-Profanity in user-created rooms: There should be an option for toggling profanity in a room. Rooms where profanity is allowed should (and I'm assuming would) be marked that there is profanity.

The opening post mentions user created rooms, but Cormyn took off that idea on one of the later pages, so no user created rooms.
it would be cool to have chats for games

Probably would, but they've said no to this already. It'll most likely be on a page dedicated to the chats.
maybe a friends page chat box?

There will most likely be a private chat feature for the chats, so there's no real reason to have this.
Then for private chats, you invite people in, and the host can kick at will.

User created chats will likely not happen since they've said no to it already and they wouldn't give us the ability to kick because that's like giving us the ability to ban users from the site; it could be easily abused.
Aeridani
Aeridani
360 posts
Nomad

. And a message every three seconds could lead to major spam. Three seconds is about how long it takes to write a spam post, and refresh the page to post again.

I was trying to help spam by putting a delay. Believe me, you don't want a 10 second delay. I've gone through that before, and it's not very fun.

And either way you won't be able to avoid spam. It's part of the Internet.
ProfessorOak
ProfessorOak
993 posts
Nomad

And either way you won't be able to avoid spam.

Agreed. But, on some websites' chats, I have seen types of filters that when a user types the same message xAmount of times in a row, they get a one minute 'time out' from the chat. I can also see this being used for people typing an absurd amount of messages in a small amount of time.

Of course nothing will stop spam for good, but it can certainly help a bit.
Aeridani
Aeridani
360 posts
Nomad

You can always do a silence technique. You mute anyone that spamming the chat.

But that could be abused easily right?
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

Ignoring people wouldn't cause anything bad. They actually have that planned for the profiles on AG3; you'll be able to ignore whoever you want aside from mods and admins. So I'd expect if you ignored someone from their profile it would work in the chats as well.

knuckychukie65
knuckychukie65
3 posts
Peasant

What happened to bloom defender? I can't find it on Armor anymore...

eelephants
eelephants
23 posts
Nomad

[quote]I was thinking of private chats being one-on-one. If you want to talk in a group, then just talk in a public one.

I don't think that it would be a good idea to have public ones. That could cause problems arguements and cyber bullying problems. I think that if public ones are allowed then any swears or profanity should cause a LONG ban from the website.

eelephants
eelephants
23 posts
Nomad

I'm sorry i accidently put that whole thing in quotes.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

I don't think that it would be a good idea to have public ones. That could cause problems arguements and cyber bullying problems. I think that if public ones are allowed then any swears or profanity should cause a LONG ban from the website.

The whole point of a live chat for AG is for it to be public. You don't have to use it if you don't want to. That's like saying the forums shouldn't be here because people will argue with others. Thing will happen, and moderators will be here, that's that.
Rhidian
Rhidian
68 posts
Nomad

Hi guys, Here's my opinion...

I think that Armorgames should DEFINITELY have a public chat. I think a good chat channel is supported by gamesurge, its free to make, and you get a few chatbots with it so the moderators/administrators can easily kick, ban, etc...

You can also program your own bot to do things too. Here's an example of a chat channel for a game that i play:

http://wbeuk2.mibbit.com/?server=irc.gamesurge.net&channel=%23lords-game&settings=5eafab283337b8bcde7236ffbb85d937

Its quite simple, you choose a username, and go ahead and chat! Also, the chats can support many people at a time...

You can also make password-protected channels for staff meetings, moderators HQ, etc...

This chat channel can also be embedded onto different sites, so it won't have to open a new link off of armorgames.

Also, I have found that this chat channel is Phone accessible, so even more people can log on there when they're not at home with a PC or something...

That's just my opinion.

Cheers,
-Rhi

benjaminio
benjaminio
83 posts
Nomad

You can always do a silence technique. You mute anyone that spamming the chat.

Who would hold this power? The host? Who decides who's the host if there is no user created chat rooms? Wouldn't this be way to easy to abuse that power by muting anyone that you don't like, or perhaps just because they said something you don't like? However, if no one person had that power, say the chat room could vote to mute someone, say an 80% yes, maybe they get silenced?
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

Did anyone bother to read my post on the previous page? Guess not. But they have that planned already for the profiles, and if you "ignore" them from their profile then it would most likely transfer over to the chat, so that you wouldn't see their messages anywhere. As in they can't send you private messages/profile messages and you wouldn't see what they post in chats, but you could still see comments they make other places and posts in the forums.

Showing 271-285 of 504