ForumsArt, Music, and WritingMage's Musings

18 6888
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

I have a bunch of half baked ideas for stories that need fleshing out. Moon and others have suggested i create a thread here to work some of it out so here is will I will be placing them.

Some of the ideas I have floating around I plan to work on are...
A futuristic world. I will be using some of the things that have come up in the 'General Science Discussion' thread in the Tavern and I have a number of ideas for aliens as well.

A story for a sort of Land of thee Lost style island outside of time using plants and animals from the past present and future to create a working ecosystem.

A Ghostbusters fanfic set in modern time using my own characters. (I might do a forum rpg if there is interest.)

A story for a zombie apocalypse.

And what ever else I might think to do.

I just have bits and pieces for each of these ideas right now.

• 18 Replies
FallenSky
FallenSky
1,816 posts
Peasant

Well, I shall be waiting for these ideas to come out. Funny coincidence though since I made a thread for a scenario just a few hours ago.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Ghostbusters

Moans and screaming could be heard down one of New York's side allies. Suddenly passing through a closed door from one of the buildings leaving a thick coating of slime behind, was a blue ghost with gnarled yellow teeth and huge vacant eyes. It's four fingered hands with long nails yellowed and gnarled as it's teeth scratched at the air as it screamed.
The blue ghost streaked down the ally. Appearing in front of it from around the corner, was a robot that looked like a modified bomb disposal robot with a neutrona wand mounted to it. The robot rolled into place and fire trapping the Ghost in the proton stream.
Moments later the door the ghost had previously passed through burst open and out stepped a man wearing a proton pack with blue slime coating his left shoulder. "Hold it him there #1!" the man yelled to the robot as an identical robot rolled up from the other end of the ally. "#2 ready the trap!" He yelled as he placed his own capture beam on the ghost. The second robot moved into position as a trap attached to a hydraulic powered arm extended out from underneath it. "steady..." the man said to himself as he and the first robot better positioned the ghost over the trap.
"TRAP OPEN!" The man yelled and a blinding bright light emanated from the trap. The capture streams were shut off and the ghost was pulled into the trap. Several multicolored lights on the trap momentarily flashed, finally settling on a single blinking red light indicating it contained a ghost.
"Wrap it up." the man said as the second robot retracted the trap back under it's chassis. The two robots then turned and rolled back to the van they came out of as the man took some final scans and collected samples of the slime from his shoulder and door.

Back at the firehouse.
The van rolled in and the man got out. "Any more calls today Joy?" he asked the middle aged slightly overweight lady at the receptionist desk. "Jack, you know it's against protocol for you to be going out in the field with out a team." the lady said giving him a stern look. "I have a team." Jack replied pointing to the two robots just behind him on either side.
"THEY DON'T COUNT! HQ has been waiting over a year for you to pick a new team. Since you haven't they are assigning you one." Joy rounded at him as she handed him his new teams files. Jack quickly looked over the files. "Rookies?!... You've got to be joking?... Have they even completed the basic training program?" he asked while look from the files to Joy and back. "No they haven't. Venkman has some half baked reality tv idea to promote the franchise. It will be like a day care!" she said smiling at the increasingly agitated ghostbuster. "Great... If anyone wants me, tell them I've went to go get drunk." Jack said as her turned to leave again.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Being that I'm a Star Trek fan as well I came up with my own design for a tricorder.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y163/MageGrayWolf/tr640tricorderxii2.jpg

Sonatavarius
Sonatavarius
1,322 posts
Farmer

will you be sketching out any of the scenes for dramatic effect? or just text and word play? ( i c ur tricoder...)

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

I might drawing some of the equipment and ghosts for the Ghostbusters story. Maybe some of the futuristic technology as well.

wolf1991
wolf1991
3,440 posts
Farmer

*confused*

You're in AMW... Has the world ended? Have the Flamingoes finally won? You'll have to excuse my shock, I don't think I've seen you here before. And I am ALWAYS here. Trippy...

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

I've been toying with the idea for a while. MoonFairy finally convened me to make a thread for all my half baked ideas.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Could use some feedback on this.
This is the recognized Class system for Ghostbusters.
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100513112932/ghostbusters/images/d/d2/Classsystem.png

But I was never that happy with it. Especially the relationship between class 3 and 4 ghosts being rather subjective. Further more the class system used in the animated series used a system up to ten, in a later animated series expanded on it to at least 13 classes. But the animated series wasn't very clear what made a ghost a particular class other then something to do with it's power. A non canon novel released on the first movie had it's own class system. The recent Video game seemed to have it's own class system as well.

I though a merger of these would be in order for my stories, but I have two versions and I'm not sure which would be better to use.

Class 1: Non sentient manifestations with undeveloped forms. Harmless with limited interaction with their environment. In most cases these manifestations can only appear as harmless lights, sounds or indistinct mists.

Class 2: vague, incomplete, and inconsistent forms, e.g. vague disembodied body parts. Non sentient and may be capable of limited manipulation of objects.

Class 3: Distinct but often inconsistent forms, e.g. shadowy figures. May or may not be sentient, most often not. May be capable of limited manipulation of objects, mostly harmless.

Class 4: Distinct sentient form of a diseased human or diseased extraterrestrial with an equivalent to human intellect . Often possessing a distinct personality. Capable of manipulating objects as if it were still physical. Can be harmful if desires and it may be possible to communicate with these entities.

Class 5: Ectoplasmic, often vaguely humanoid manifestations. These are entities that were never alive to begin with. They are just as capable of physical interaction as Class 4 ghosts. A Class 5 can be a ghostly entity from another dimension that entered our world through interdimensional portals or simply "born" out of ecto-energy into whatever form they wear now, through side effects from ritual summoning or byproducts from emotionally-charged events.

Class 6: These are distinct forms of diseased animals. The possess the same abilities to interact with the physical world as they did when they were alive. May possess distinct personalities reflecting their former species.

Class 7: Entities possessing extraordinary "super" powers for a ghost. While powerful, they do not exceed the limits of physical possibilities.

Class 8: Exceptionally powerful like Class 7 entities but also possesses the ability to control or even create other entities at will.

Class 9: Demigods, extremely powerful entities whose power approaches that of a god. They may possess or exceed the abilities observed in Class 7 or 8 entities. Able to alter reality if even on a limited basis or preform actions beyond what should be physically possible.

Class 10: Gods, a supreme being in reference to a particular attribute. Able to alter reality to their will.

Notes: Class 1-3 may be weaker forms of Class 4-6 ghosts. Class 7 and up may be strong forms of Class 4-6.

The other version is similar to the above but combines Class 4 and 6 into one classification and moves Class 7 abilities to Class 6. Class 7 is like Class 6, but are capable of firing blasts of ecto energy.

MoonFairy
MoonFairy
3,390 posts
Shepherd

Your class system is basically well organized. Although I don't understand this part:

Class 7: Entities possessing extraordinary "super" powers for a ghost. While powerful, they do not exceed the limits of physical possibilities.

Normally when you say a ghost, it doesn't have PHYSICAL possibilities.

What exactly can a ghost do?
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

What exactly can a ghost do?

It refers to how they can interact with physical objects through touch. Four example a class four could pick up and manipulate a peace of steel the same as a living person can. A Class 7 could possibly bend it up like Superman or melt it by touch, but wouldn't be able to do anything to that peace of steel that would be beyond the limits of what's physically possibly to do to that peace of steel. A Class 9 could.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

After a bit of feedback here is a revised version. But still undecided on merging Class 4 and 6 or not. This draft has the two merged.

Class 1: Non sentient, usually not visible with the naked eye. May not be capable of visible manifestations. When visible, appears as undeveloped forms. Limited environmental interaction. In most cases these manifestations can only appear as harmless lights, sounds or indistinct mists. May be of deceased or pure ectoplasimic origins.

Class 2: Non sentient, usually not visible with the naked eye. May not be capable of visible manifestations. When visible appears as vague, incomplete, and inconsistent forms, e.g. vague disembodied body parts. May be capable of limited manipulation of objects. May be of deceased or pure ectoplasimic origins.

Class 3: May possess some sentience but mostly non sentient, usually not visible with the naked eye. May not be capable of visible manifestations. When visible appears as distinct but often inconsistent forms, e.g. shadowy figures. Limited manipulation of objects, mostly harmless. May be of deceased or pure ectoplasimic origins.

Class 4: Was once a living creature now deceased. Is usually visible. Possess the qualities and personalities it had in life. Capable of manipulating physical objects as easily as it did when alive. May possess average psionic capabilities. Can be harmful if desires. It may be possible to communicate with these entities.

Class 5: Ectoplasmic, often vaguely humanoid manifestations. These are entities that were never alive to begin with. They are just as capable of physical interaction as Class 4 ghosts. May possess average psionic capabilities. A Class 5 can be a ghostly entity from another dimension that entered our world through interdimensional portals or simply "born" out of ecto-energy into whatever form they wear now, through side effects from ritual summoning or byproducts from emotionally-charged or psychokinetic events.

Class 6: May be of deceased or pure ectoplasimic origins. These entities possess extraordinary psionic capabilities. May be capable of extraordinary "super human" feasts when manipulating physical objects.

Class 7: May be of deceased or pure ectoplasimic origins. Possesses the same abilities as a Class 6. Also capable of generating blasts of ecto-energy and/or ectoplasmic constructs. May exhibit control over subordinate forms.

Class 8: May be of deceased or pure ectoplasimic origins. Exceptionally powerful like Class 7 entities but also possesses the ability to create other entities at will or even restore life.

Class 9: Demigods, extremely powerful entities whose power approaches that of a god. May be of deceased or pure ectoplasimic origins. Usually a pure ectoplasmic entity. They may possess or exceed the abilities observed in Class 7 or 8 entities. Able to warp spacetime and may be able to alter reality, if even on a limited basis.

Class 10: Gods, a supreme being in reference to a particular attribute. Able to alter reality to their will. May be omnipotent/scient.

MoonFairy
MoonFairy
3,390 posts
Shepherd

Much clearer.

Anyways. Update anytime soon?

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Anyways. Update anytime soon?

Possibly, need to work out one more character.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

One more thought I could possibly have this Class system both ways if I just add an extra two Classes.

1-3 low level hauntings
4-6 average strength ghosts separated by human, inhuman, or animal types.
7-9 high powered ghosts
10-12 godly powers

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Sorry for so many of these but I need to get this straight in my head for later parts of the story. Then again having a place I can work these ideas out and get feed back during the process was kind of the idea of this thread to begin with.

Given the class 7 system is the most recognized by fans this version will reflect that version. I'm going to try and clear it up a bit, particularly with the relationship between class 3 and 4, where I have an issue with this system. For contrast I will also have another class 10 system based on this draft. Let me know which is easier to understand, please.

Class 1: Non sentient, non-manifested haunting. Visibly appears as indistinct, undeveloped forms. Can be difficult to see with limited environmental interaction. e.g. spectral lights, odd sounds, strange smells, vapors, or mists.

Class 2: Non sentient, usually not visible with the naked eye. May not be capable of visible manifestations. When visible appears as vague, incomplete, and inconsistent forms. May be capable of limited manipulation of objects. Vague disembodied body parts e.g. hands, mouths, eyes.

Class 3: May possess some sentience but mostly non sentient, usually not visible with the naked eye. May not be capable of visible manifestations. When visible appears as usually slightly distinctive but often inconsistent forms. No real personality or self identity present. May act on specific qualities of it's former life without thought. Usually has limited manipulation of objects, mostly harmless. e.g. past life repeaters, shadowy figures, vague after images.

Class 4: Distinct fully humanoid form. In most cases was once a living person now deceased. Is usually capable of being visible. Clearly sentient, possesses a distinct identity and personality with qualities of it's former life. Capable of manipulating physical objects as easily as it did when alive. Can be harmful if desires. It may be possible to communicate with these entities. e.g. fully formed apparitions.

Class 5: Ectoplasmic, vaguely humanoid manifestations. In most cases these are entities that were never alive to begin with. They are just as capable of physical interaction as Class 4 ghosts. Can be a former human remnant which has 'devolved' or 'mutated' into other forms, a ghostly entity from another dimension that entered our world through interdimensional portals or simply "born" out of ecto-energy into whatever form they are now, through side effects from ritual summoning or byproducts from emotionally-charged or psychokinetic events.

Class 6: Completely nonhumanoid i.e. animal remnants or monstrous inhuman forms. Possesses the qualities reflecting the former species, or has devolved to the point of losing all former qualities in exchange for new ones.

Class 7: Meta-specters, major phantasms, demonic entities, or deities. These entities possess extraordinary psionic capabilities. May exhibit control over subordinate forms. May be able to warp spacetime and may be able to alter reality to their will, if even on a limited basis. Deities may be omnipotent/scient.

---Class 10 system---

Class 1: Non sentient, non-manifested haunting. Visibly appears as indistinct, undeveloped forms. Can be difficult to see with limited environmental interaction. e.g. spectral lights, odd sounds, strange smells, vapors, or mists.

Class 2: Non sentient, usually not visible with the naked eye. May not be capable of visible manifestations. When visible appears as vague, incomplete, and inconsistent forms. May be capable of limited manipulation of objects. Vague disembodied body parts e.g. hands, mouths, eyes.

Class 3: May possess some sentience but mostly non sentient, usually not visible with the naked eye. May not be capable of visible manifestations. When visible appears as usually slightly distinctive but often inconsistent forms. No real personality or self identity present. May act on specific qualities of it's former life without thought. Usually has limited manipulation of objects, mostly harmless. e.g. past life repeaters, shadowy figures, vague after images.

Class 4: Distinct fully humanoid form. In most cases was once a living person now deceased. Is usually capable of being visible. Clearly sentient, possesses a distinct identity and personality with qualities of it's former life. Capable of manipulating physical objects as easily as it did when alive. Can be harmful if desires. It may be possible to communicate with these entities. e.g. fully formed apparitions.

Class 5: Ectoplasmic, vaguely humanoid manifestations. In most cases these are entities that were never alive to begin with. They are just as capable of physical interaction as Class 4 ghosts. Can be a former human remnant which has 'devolved' or 'mutated' into other forms, a ghostly entity from another dimension that entered our world through interdimensional portals or simply "born" out of ecto-energy into whatever form they are now, through side effects from ritual summoning or byproducts from emotionally-charged or psychokinetic events.

Class 6: Completely nonhumanoid i.e. animal remnants or monstrous inhuman forms. Possesses the qualities reflecting the former species, or has devolved to the point of losing all former qualities in exchange for new ones.

Class 7: Meta-specters, major phantasms, or demonic entities. These entities possess extraordinary psionic capabilities. Does not exhibit control over subordinate forms.

Class 8: Meta-specters, major phantasms, or demonic entities. Exceptionally powerful psionic capabilities. May exhibit control over subordinate forms. May be able to warp spacetime.

Class 9: Demigods, extremely powerful entities whose power approaches that of a god. They may possess or exceed the abilities observed in former classes. May exhibit control over subordinate forms. May be able to warp spacetime and may be able to alter reality to their will, if even on a limited basis.

Class 10: Gods, a supreme being in reference to a particular attribute. Able to alter reality to their will. May be omnipotent/scient.

Further more I'm working out one more character. I haven't decided if I'm going to make it female or male. If male I will go with the name Mike, if female Melissa. I'm thinking of making the character the mechanic of the group since I already have a technician, sharp shooter, and scientist. Not sure how I want the personality but I was thinking the motivation for the character could be to want to help out and save people.

Also I have some aliens for the Futuristic World idea coming up as well.

Showing 1-15 of 18