ForumsSupport ForumForum games ):<

19 5321
acmed
acmed
3,518 posts
Nomad

My forum game got locked, it was called chain reaction, and Cenere locked it because it only uses 2 words. BUT! This is stated in the rules and guidelines itself!

Some forum threads expect short messages (like some forum games),

So, my forum EXPECTS short messages. Mods? Admins? Can you explain and unlock my thread?
  • 19 Replies
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

Acmed, it doesn't take a moderator/administrator to say that short responses, in SEVERAL threads and ArmorGames pages, are highly discouraged, even though forum games are lenient, yield no AP, yadda yadda.

Where did you find this? Several places I have went to, such as every S&S, Newcomers, and Forum Games forum rules sticky, as well as the Rules and Guidelines page that is presented in every flash game in red font, and the Help page.

This was a quoted passage, correct? So where did you exactly quote this from? It just doesn't make sense that you get this passage compared to the over-seven passages stating the contrary.

Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

Where did you find this? Several places I have went to, such as every S&S, Newcomers, and Forum Games forum rules sticky, as well as the Rules and Guidelines page that is presented in every flash game in red font, and the Help page.

This was a quoted passage, correct? So where did you exactly quote this from? It just doesn't make sense that you get this passage compared to the over-seven passages stating the contrary.

Is that an attempt to denounce

Some forum threads expect short messages (like some forum games),
?

Anyway, the rules are still enforced in the non-AP forums.
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

How can I denounce what does not exist? I have checked several times over several threads and outside pages of AG and have not found the quoted passage or even part of it. What I have found, on the other hand, are passages that correlate against the claim.

Even so:

Expecting =/= Not Enforcing

Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

I have checked several times over several threads and outside pages of AG and have not found the quoted passage or even part of it.

Maybe there's one you haven't checked. Search again or ask acmed to provide a link.
Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

I found what acmed quoted. Here's the link. acmed quoted from the no spamming rule.

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

Ahahaha....I wonder how long ago that was posted. I realize multiple rules sites can cause ambiguity, therefore confusion, but still, how could he have missed the rules from the very forum he posted? Why would forum games, of all threads in the community, be given special treatment, despite the contrary from several different, recent passages?

Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

Why would forum games, of all threads in the community, be given special treatment, despite the contrary from several different, recent passages?

It's not special treatment of forum games because the short-reply threads aren't necessarily forum games.
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

I'm not here to argue Patrick.

Some forum threads expect short messages (like some forum games)

Short-reply threads and forum games, over the rest of the threads in the community, is expecting a leniency, according to this page which is obviously old.

Now then. Most people that look for the rules are certain to look towards the community. I can see why. They get updated by moderators, not administrators. You can expect more frequent updates. And since they are RIGHT THERE in the forum, it's not really expecting much from members, is it? Yes, this one passage does say that short-response threads and forum games expect short replies. But like I have reiterated several times, this does not mean they get let off the enforcement. They must also abide by the rules of the forums like the rest of the threads do, as is said by SEVERAL OTHER PAGES, including the very forum he made the thread.
Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

I've been reading this thread and to be honest, since I haven't been as active, I'm not sure how to rule on this. We really do discourage all threads (regardless of where they are) from having 2 word replies, but seeing as that specific phrase was quoted on one of the official rules and guidelines pages, I'm going to have to refer this to administration.

When disputes of this sort arise in court, you'd be looking for either a clarification of law, an amendment to it, or a precedent to be set for future interpretation, so that's what we'll work towards. You'll know when a ruling is made.

acmed
acmed
3,518 posts
Nomad

Where did you find this?

I found this on the forum rules in the top right corner of the community page.

When disputes of this sort arise in court, you'd be looking for either a clarification of law, an amendment to it, or a precedent to be set for future interpretation, so that's what we'll work towards.

And to be honest Freakenstein and Patrick, ^ this is all I wanted to know, so get over it if for the time ever, I'm right!
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

That is so odd...how come this can't be treated as a Help Page::Forum FAQ analogy where the latter is much more updated and more easily available? I mean, this was a page that I could not find and was a link that wasn't expressed on any of the current stickies as far as I knew, so....I'm not trying to get you "convicted" or anything Acmed, so please don't misunderstand, but I just don't understand how something so subtle and almost inconspicuous can be used as ambiguity to the current rules we all know and love?

Well I suppose I can give it a rest now, ehehe....

gaboloth
gaboloth
1,613 posts
Peasant

Sure the forum stickies are the most recent and reliable, but the fact that the AG rules are contradictory and change too often remains.

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

in this case, Cenere's locking of the thread was correct because of how Acmed worded his opening post.

Officially, though, we DO allow forum games, such as "count to 100" to have shorter-than-usual messages, because they don't accrue points, but you have to make sure you write clear rules about posting.

Start a new thread, and leave out the note about short messages being spam, and we'll probably leave it alone, provided it still fits in with our forum rules.

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

the AG rules are contradictory and change too often remains.

Show me where the rules conflict, and I'll correct it.

The forums are bound first and foremost by our Terms and Conditions, and secondly by our forum posting rules which is in a red font at the top right corner of the main Community page.
acmed
acmed
3,518 posts
Nomad

Cormyn, the rule is in the terms and conditions (your first link) and is in the 4th dash mark, 3rd sentence. It states:

Some forum threads expect short messages (like some forum games)

I understand you have to change it, just clarifying.
Showing 1-15 of 19