ForumsProgramming ForumWhat programs you need to learn to make a game ?

32 15949
elshobokshy
elshobokshy
159 posts
Nomad

I'm a rookie in game making, a total beginner so I would like to know what programs do I need to learn ? What to start with ? And what to do
I started reading some stuff about C++, it's WAY too hard!! Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

• 32 Replies
AirDecade
AirDecade
23 posts
Shepherd

I would recommend searching YouTube for video lectures on programming.
Just an example of you may find: [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkMDCCdjyW8]

3Aegis3
3Aegis3
6 posts
Nomad

Well, if you're new to programming in general, you might want to start with Game Maker to get the general mindset of actually making games and to see if it really is the thing for you. Then, when you've got that down you could go straight into learning the more "advanced" languages like Java, C(#, ++), or AS, but if those still seem a bit too hard/confusing, you can always try a BASIC language such as Visual Basic or TI Basic (usable if you have a TI-83/84 calculator).

Unfortunately, you won't be able to jump right into making games. It'll take some time to get into the groove of programming first.

master565
master565
4,107 posts
Nomad

Game making doesn't really help you learn how programming works at all. If you want to make a game, READ THE STICKIES.

If you want to learn to program, a good place to start is HTML. HTML is a markup language, which is sort of programming at it's most basic element. It's extremely simple to learn and grasp onto. Then you can learn CSS (Cascading Style Sheets) which is an easier way to design web pages in combination with HTML. Then Javascript (not to be confused with Java) is a good scripting language (there is a difference between scripting languages and programming languages that i am not going to go into) that is fairly simple and a good way to be introduced into actual programming. After you have learnt HTML, CSS, and Javascript (learn these in the order given), you know everything you need to create a decent website. Once you have become decent with these, you should look into learning Python. Python is supposed to be a great programming language for beginners with intuitive syntax. After that, you can learn whatever your heart pleases. You can try ActionScript (the language all the games on AG are programmed in) or Java or C++ or Objective C (you might not want to learn Objective C, I have heard it is complicated) but you are open to learn any programming languages.

maffegozer
maffegozer
64 posts
Nomad

What I did is:

Started making applications in Visual Basic in 2009/2010.
2011, I started making websites with HTML/CSS.
And to get some more experience, I started making a browsergame, which involves a lot of PHP.
I now know a lot of programming.
When I read some code of languages I don't know, I do know what it says. When you have programming experience, you can 'read' every language. You know the basics.
I started learning AS2 (AS3 sux) 2 weeks ago. I'm in the development of a simple game. Start small and grow.
I find it much easier to do since I have so much experience in other languages. This is based on that I tried AS2 in 2009.

C++ Isn't that hard, but it is when you have no programming experience at all.
For me, VB is the easiest to learn.
I now know (By combining languages) how to make an AI in VB.

erricki
erricki
15 posts
Nomad

Hello, people .i'm sorry for piggy-mail here, i've a question about a hardware problem. sometimes when i turn on my pc, the fan starts only for 2 seconds , then nothing. i've did all the times the trick with pulling out the RAM, then put it back after 5-6 hours , and every time it worked. but I still don't know what is wrong. help,please.

elshobokshy
elshobokshy
159 posts
Nomad

Thank you for all of your great posts!

master565: I'll start learning in 2 days HTML, CSS, PhotoPhshop and Flash.. When I get the hang of it I'll learn JavaScript like you told me and then do the rest, might take a few years but it's worth the try, it can even help me in a future job!

maffegozer:
Erm PHP is another story, I'll talk to you about it you seem interesting

master565
master565
4,107 posts
Nomad

master565: I'll start learning in 2 days HTML, CSS, PhotoPhshop and Flash.. When I get the hang of it I'll learn JavaScript like you told me and then do the rest, might take a few years but it's worth the try, it can even help me in a future job!

Definitely don't learn As3 before learning Javascript or Python. If you mean "Flash" as in flash animation, then sure. Photoshop isn't really related to programming but if your planning to make your own art then you should definitely learn it. And lastly, this websight is probably the best place to learn HTML, CSS, Javascript (the web developing part of it), and you can also learn how to make dynamic pages with PHP, data basing with SQL, and all other web creation related stuff.
elshobokshy
elshobokshy
159 posts
Nomad

Definitely don't learn As3 before learning Javascript or Python. If you mean "Flash" as in flash animation, then sure. Photoshop isn't really related to programming but if your planning to make your own art then you should definitely learn it. And lastly, this websight is probably the best place to learn HTML, CSS, Javascript (the web developing part of it), and you can also learn how to make dynamic pages with PHP, data basing with SQL, and all other web creation related stuff.

Haha! I know this website it totally rocks! But I said in 2 days I'll learn them in a center not online But do you have any place where I can learn PHP online ? I searched and couldn't find any that takes you from being a total rookie into a person that understands. lol
master565
master565
4,107 posts
Nomad

any place where I can learn PHP online ?

The website i linked teaches PHP also.
elshobokshy
elshobokshy
159 posts
Nomad

The website i linked teaches PHP also.

It does ? Thanks alot then!!
master565
master565
4,107 posts
Nomad

It does ? Thanks alot then!!

No problem. That website will teach you anything that has to do with web development, even a little bit of flash.
elshobokshy
elshobokshy
159 posts
Nomad

I've gotta be a pro at web designing before moving to programming ?

master565
master565
4,107 posts
Nomad

I've gotta be a pro at web designing before moving to programming ?

No but the basics of web development are sort of like simplified programming and they are great for beginners, so you want to learn HTML, CSS, and Javascript (if you want to continue web development) or Python (if you want to try your hand at programing), before moving on to Actionscript or C++ or anything else you want. I'm just saying more about this because you may find that while learning about web development, you find you love it and want to continue learning about it. My friend is 15 and he learned some programming when he was about 10, and then he learned how to develop websites well by age 13, and now he has made of 5000$ a year designing websites for people. He also a very good programmer in plenty of languages, but I don't believe he has made any money with that.
elshobokshy
elshobokshy
159 posts
Nomad

That's what I'm talking about!!
I'm 16, so I think if I start now I might be a pro at web designing when I finish high school.
Thanks for caring, I appreciate it!

maffegozer
maffegozer
64 posts
Nomad

Definitely don't learn As3 before learning Javascript or Python.

You're wrong on that point.
Javascript is hard for me, Haven't tried to learn it.
Still, AS is much easier...

Photoshop isn't really related to programming but if your planning to make your own art then you should definitely learn it.

(Yep, I like criticizing.)
Photoshop isn't that hard, you just gotta know what everything does.
So, there's some truth in ye.
Showing 1-15 of 32