ForumsProgramming ForumWhat programs you need to learn to make a game ?

32 15957
elshobokshy
elshobokshy
159 posts
Nomad

I'm a rookie in game making, a total beginner so I would like to know what programs do I need to learn ? What to start with ? And what to do
I started reading some stuff about C++, it's WAY too hard!! Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

• 32 Replies
master565
master565
4,107 posts
Nomad

Javascript is hard for me, Haven't tried to learn it.
Still, AS is much easier...

Seriously? Everyone i know has said that javascript is simple. Your never going to create anything extremely complicated games in it because it is only a scripting language meant to run inside browsers. And the few people i know in real life with a knowledge of it and everyplace i have seen on the internet claims that AS3 has less intuitive syntax and is more difficult to learn as a first language.

I just realized after typing that up that you said "Haven't tried to learn it" at which point i just facepalmed at myself and have come up with a question, how do you know it's hard if you don't even know the language?
maffegozer
maffegozer
64 posts
Nomad

I was going to use it for an application.
Tried some stuff.
But didn't bother reading tutorials, as it looked way too complicated.
Maybe if I try it now, it will be much easier, who knows.
AS is not my first language as said in my first post on page 1.

master565
master565
4,107 posts
Nomad

I was going to use it for an application.

It's not really meant for anything out of web browsers.

AS is not my first language as said in my first post on page 1.

No, but i don't want it to be his first language.
Pacmanateyou
Pacmanateyou
255 posts
Nomad

http://w3scools.com/ This website would probably be the best one you
can go to for learning how to program, it's free and basically teaches you everything you need to know about making a game or any other programming language, I want to point out flash is a PROGRAM not a code/language so of course w3schools.com will not have it.

I just thought I might be helpful

-Pac

Pacmanateyou
Pacmanateyou
255 posts
Nomad

My most sincere apologies I of course meant w3schools.com

master565
master565
4,107 posts
Nomad

This website would probably be the best one you can go to for learning how to program, it's free and basically teaches you everything you need to know about making a game or any other programming language, I want to point out flash is a PROGRAM not a code/language so of course w3schools.com will not have it.

It doesn't teach you any programming languages, only scripting languages, markup languages, and databasing languages, and those generally aren't used to make games. And when he says "flash" he means Actionscript.
elshobokshy
elshobokshy
159 posts
Nomad

No, but i don't want it to be his first language.

Yeah I'm actually following some tutorials on how to make a game using JavaScript! When I finish it and put it on a site I'll want you guys to check it and tell me what do you think. Don't expect something big tho, all I do is following steps, I'm not making the actual coding!

My most sincere apologies I of course meant w3schools.com

Thanks for the though but the site isn't teaching how to make games

And when he says "flash" he means Actionscript.

True.
master565
master565
4,107 posts
Nomad

Yeah I'm actually following some tutorials on how to make a game using JavaScript! When I finish it and put it on a site I'll want you guys to check it and tell me what do you think. Don't expect something big tho, all I do is following steps, I'm not making the actual coding!

Did you learn javascript yet? You won't gain anything out of a tutorial if you don't even know the language. Also, tutorials could be a bad idea for beginners because the tend to encourage you to steal the persons code for other projects of yours(stealing someone's code is a big no no). Lastly, my point of you learning javascript wasn't for making games, it was for web development purposes.
boshow
boshow
174 posts
Nomad

Stencyl worked good 4 me

elshobokshy
elshobokshy
159 posts
Nomad

Lastly, my point of you learning javascript wasn't for making games, it was for web development purposes.

Yeah I know, I'm already learning web development. Hopefully in a few months of practice I can make my own codes.
ExplosionsHurt
ExplosionsHurt
249 posts
Nomad

No. Never use w3schools.

Take a look at

elshobokshy
elshobokshy
159 posts
Nomad

Erm is this some kind of a joke.. ? Cuz I don't get it

ExplosionsHurt
ExplosionsHurt
249 posts
Nomad

w3schools is bad. It teaches bad practises, and often gets facts wrong outright.

Avoid it.

elshobokshy
elshobokshy
159 posts
Nomad

I will, if you get me another site.
w3schools is the only site out there that teaches you everything from A to Z

Darkroot
Darkroot
2,763 posts
Peasant

Buy a book on the programming language you want to learn. They are infinitely more comprehensive and easier to read than any limited online resource. I probably have cumulative 7 books (+1 HTML 5 canvas book being shipped) in my library right now. The main drawback it that they aren't free, but it's not like public library's keep up with programming and have woefully outdated books on the subjects.

Just go to amazon and check out the books on the subject and go through the reviews and see if it is up to par with your expectations. Then just buy it from whatever retailer you like.

Showing 16-30 of 32