ForumsPopular MediaFavorite music from the ppl

24 5642
jstevensgt
jstevensgt
110 posts
Nomad

Just posting to get some ideas of the kind of music you guys like? Maybe even some recommendations for me for work out music or music to listen to when your staging your car up at the drag strip lol anything and everything is open i like all types of music.

Rock
Rap
Country
Techno
Metal
Screamo
Blues
Acoustic
Cover Songs

• 24 Replies
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,349 posts
Bard

Rock

Too general, but this is the majority of the music I listen to. I don't listen to every subgenre, of course, nor do I know which subgenre every single song falls under.

But out of all of the choices, I would have to choose this one over the rest of 'em. Because so many of the songs I listen to fit into this category somehow.

Rap

It used to be worth listening to, but ever since AutoTune came along, it's just never been the same. It's fused with so many other genres these days that it just isn't pure anymore; pop music has turned it into something that's absolutely horrible to listen to unless you're under the age of 14. It used to have a meaning behind it, but now it's just stupid meaningless lyrics about "Shawty" and whatnot. It lacks subtlety, too; everything is so graphic in most rap nowadays, it's like nobody in the industry has ever heard of a metaphor.

Country

If it's country-rock, usually I don't mind listening to it. Especially if it's from the 70's. That was a great time for that particular type of music. If it's just regular, plain ol' country music, however, I can't say it's really my cup of tea. It's not that it's annoying, like pop music; it's just boring as hell.

Techno

Like rap, this genre generally cranked out some pretty good stuff in the 80's and the 90's, but by the 21st century, pop music had engulfed it and turned it into something nowhere near worth listening to (unless of course you happen to be under the age of 14). Almost every pop song these days has either a techno beat or a "rap solo", which really pisses me off. This is probably the main reason I highly dislike the Black Eyed Peas; they generally have both of those two elements in their songs.

Metal

This is considered to be a subgenre of rock, but it itself is so broad that it's also split up into many sections of its own. The only type of metal I enjoy listening to is Hair Metal. This branch of metal was most popular in the 80's, for those of you who don't know. Most of my favorite songs are Hair Metal songs. Sadly, metal has changed a lot over the years, and is now very hard for me to listen to; most likely due to the bizarre and twisted lyrics about death and hell and all that weird stuff. That kind of music makes me uncomfortable.

Screamo

I never listen to screamo. Unlike pop music, this type of music is at least non-mainstream enough to be almost completely avoided. People yelling in songs doesn't bother me so much, but when they scream at the top of their lungs, that pushes me over the edge. It's so dark and angry, it makes me wonder why I even bothered to listen to it in the first place if all it does is put me in a worse mood.

Blues

The blues are always relaxing, but too many of them in a row gets old somewhat quickly. In my opinion, the older the blues, the better they are. What I don't like is that in the past decade, people like John Mayer have been trying way too hard to sound like blues singers, and it's ruining the blues for people like me who don't want to see such a great form of music come to such a tragic end by being overly done by conceited white guys.

Acoustic

I've always associated this music with those hippie-type guys who sit under a tree and play boring songs on their guitar. There are some acoustic songs out there that are worth listening to, but most of them are just plain too weird for me. It isn't always the lyrics that do it for me, it's just that strange conceited vibe that comes with it.

Cover Songs

It depends on when the song was originally recorded and when it was covered. Most songs covered in the 80's were almost as good as, and sometimes better than, the original recording. Just about anything covered in the past decade, however, is crap in my opinion. I guess it's all just perspective.

This concludes my long rant about music. It's all opinion-based, so feel free to not argue with me because you aren't going to change my opinions no matter how hard you try. This isn't fact-based in any way, as it's written entirely from my point of view. If you disagree with any of the above, that's fine, but don't try and point out how you're right and I'm wrong about my own opinion, because that just makes you look stupid.

Honestly, I did not expect I'd write this much on the subject. The words just flowed right out of my fingers, so to speak.
FloydTC
FloydTC
2,920 posts
Nomad

why is disco not on the list?

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,447 posts
Jester

It used to be worth listening to, but ever since AutoTune came along, it's just never been the same. It's fused with so many other genres these days that it just isn't pure anymore; pop music has turned it into something that's absolutely horrible to listen to unless you're under the age of 14. It used to have a meaning behind it, but now it's just stupid meaningless lyrics about "Shawty" and whatnot. It lacks subtlety, too; everything is so graphic in most rap nowadays, it's like nobody in the industry has ever heard of a metaphor.

I agree. Back when it was about hard life on the streets it was good. Now it's 'booty bangin up in da club'
jstevensgt
jstevensgt
110 posts
Nomad

nice post ernie... and to floyd sorry im not into the disco thing...

and to add i just discovered Bassnectar.. if your into dubstep its a must to listen too

SlimeKnight
SlimeKnight
128 posts
Peasant

I never listen to Rap or Hip Hop, but I do listen to anything that gets my ears' attention.

I also actively listen to music from video games.

thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

Rock- "Gimme all your lovin'" -ZZ Top
Rap- "Loose Yourself"- Eminem
Country- "Ain't no Grave"- Johnny Cash
Techno- (assuming that dubstep counts) "Kill Everybody (Bare Noize Remix)"- Skrillex
Metal "War of the Gods"- Amon Amarth
Screamo -Since this is the same thing as metal, I refuse to answer this
Blues- "Ain't no Sunshine"- Bill Withers
Acoustic "Snowshoes and Solitude"- Les Stroud
Cover Songs "Turn the Page"- Metallica

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,447 posts
Jester

I basically like anything that's over 20 years old. Back before overuse of synthesizers and auto tune. Back when words had to mean something deeper. Back when music wasn't as repetitive.

CalvinKidd137
CalvinKidd137
891 posts
Nomad

Whatever is on the radio at the time and if I don't like it I change the radio station.

jstevensgt
jstevensgt
110 posts
Nomad

Rock- "Gimme all your lovin'" -ZZ Top
Rap- "Loose Yourself"- Eminem
Country- "Ain't no Grave"- Johnny Cash
Techno- (assuming that dubstep counts) "Kill Everybody (Bare Noize Remix)"- Skrillex
Metal "War of the Gods"- Amon Amarth
Screamo -Since this is the same thing as metal, I refuse to answer this
Blues- "Ain't no Sunshine"- Bill Withers
Acoustic "Snowshoes and Solitude"- Les Stroud
Cover Songs "Turn the Page"- Metallica

good list here pyro but i would have to disagree on the screamo=metal i see metal as amon amarth and cradle of filth and such but screamo is more like a brokencyde band i think they are different just my personal opinion

FloydTC
FloydTC
2,920 posts
Nomad

and to floyd sorry im not into the disco thing...

I cant help you then. how do you feel about europop?
jstevensgt
jstevensgt
110 posts
Nomad

about the same as disco lol

thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

good list here pyro but i would have to disagree on the screamo=metal i see metal as amon amarth and cradle of filth and such but screamo is more like a brokencyde band i think they are different just my personal opinion

Death Metal= mostly growls with occasional screaming,

screamo= all high- pitched screaming. I can see where you're coming from, but still consider metal, just metal for pussies. Hahaha.
FloydTC
FloydTC
2,920 posts
Nomad

about the same as disco lol

well then I am out of ideas.
EnterOrion
EnterOrion
4,223 posts
Nomad

just metal for pussies

Metal for people who wouldn't know metal if they got hit by a wrecking ball.

Metal is pretty much all I listen to, so anything that would stray outside of metal is played by metal bands playing non-metal songs.

I'm not so diverse.

Check out Opeth though, good combination of a lot of different things.
jstevensgt
jstevensgt
110 posts
Nomad

great post guys keep em coming... to enterorion thanks for the recommendation ill try them out

Showing 1-15 of 24