ForumsGames[Necro] Paying for premium content thats unjustly corrupt.

49 19225
randumbness
randumbness
58 posts
Nomad

I have only two games that have bonus content that you must pay for on armor games. You may think only 2 games with bonus content that you must pay for too get thats nothing to get worked up about. I created an account on armor games because i was under the impression that this site was incorruptible and wouldn't charge for anything on this site except merchandise.Im not worried about the 2 games ( castaway 2 and the last stand union city) having premium content its that Armor games is becoming like Mochi games. pretty soon a lot of games will have premium content you must pay for Which would completely contradict the idea of [quote] free online games

• 49 Replies
randumbness
randumbness
58 posts
Nomad

okay i was talking about serious piracy like stealing games from a site messing with its coding then saying its a different games. Making money of something thats not yours that is copied/ stolen from some one else etc..
Oh yeah loloynage Im talking about premium content in f2p games mostly not pre bought games for example oblivion I bought and was like oh yeah this is a great game a while later they came out with extra content which i bought why you might ask because it supports the game developers who have to make a profit off their games because thats their job. A lot of game developers (online f2p type ) actually develop games as a sort of hobby and have a job that pays them for necessities other than game developing the premium content is used as a way to make more money for them which to me in that sense makes them seem like there trying to make a bit more money.

Your last statement seems sarcastic and ruins that whole post. if a game developer has enough talent as much of them do then if they want to make the game totally p2p ( pay 2 play) they could work for a major gaming company like bethesda lionsgate naughty dog etc.

loloynage2
loloynage2
4,211 posts
Peasant

trying to make a bit more money.

Isn't that what business is all about?

A lot of game developers (online f2p type ) actually develop games as a sort of hobby

I don't know about that one. Most f2p I play, the staff is made fully with full time workers. But, what kind of games are you taking about?

okay i was talking about serious piracy like stealing games from a site messing with its coding then saying its a different games. Making money of something thats not yours that is copied/ stolen from some one else etc..

Well that is kind of piracy, but again, what you are referring to is plagiarism
randumbness
randumbness
58 posts
Nomad

pi·ra·cyâ â[pahy-ruh-see] Show IPA
noun, plural -cies.
practice of a pirate; robbery or illegal violence at sea.
the unauthorized reproduction or use of a copyrighted book, recording, television program, patented invention, trademarked product, etc.: The record industry is beset with piracy.
Also called stream capture. Geology . diversion of the upper part of one stream by the headward growth of another.
pla·gia·rismâ â[pley-juh-riz-uhm, -jee-uh-riz-] Show IPA
noun
the unauthorized use or close imitation of the language and thoughts of another author and the representation of them as one's own original work.
something used and represented in this manner.
Source dictionary.com
you were right but can we agree that plagiarism and piracy are both a form of theft

Is business all about money yes but is money everything no

vinster132
vinster132
5,881 posts
Jester

I think premium content is a really stupid and pointless idea, I really don't think it is necessary on a free online game site but what can I say this world is driven by money.

Dude, if you don't want to pay then don't pay at all. Be happy that you aren't forced to pay and most of the site is free.
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

As what has already been established, Lovely, the submitted flash games *are* 100% free. If you want to be technical, then 99.9%. The premium content has no affect whatsoever to the flash game experience--all what has been shown so far is give you variety and a slightly higher edge in playing. It doesn't obstruct you from the storyline, it doesn't require you to pay to access other areas of the game, it doesn't require you to pay in order to play the game further, it doesn't require you to pay in order to play the game initially, and it doesn't require you to pay in intervals in order to play. It doesn't keep you from playing the full game--it's just something more useful than a standard donation, because you get something in return.

randumbness
randumbness
58 posts
Nomad

Yep but paying for premium content is weird and yeah you get something in return but what im saying is the basis for premium content is money. [quote] Its not about the money -Jessie J
Yeah premium content is basically the author saying im adding premium content so that people feel inclined to paying money for added content basic psychology

Kholkikos
Kholkikos
24 posts
Blacksmith

You can play for free man, but if you want more fun, buy the premium content, the programmers need to eat...

TronMozart
TronMozart
35 posts
Nomad

just hopping in this thread
corruption-I'm not sure you know what that means.
it's not like they're taking money from some other funding. They're selling you a product, plain and simple

UserIame
UserIame
22 posts
Nomad

You're not forced to buy the Premieum Content..
Do not say this site sucks because of premieum Content you're not even forced to buy..
Premieum is only an small way for the dev to get money..
It unlocks cool features, but you can finish the game without it..
And, if you do not REALLY like it, just ignore it.

visitlegend
visitlegend
398 posts
Nomad

U dont need to pay for premium content?
or do u
-Legend

Fizanko
Fizanko
20 posts
Shepherd

If a game is complete, and the &quotremium" content is addition to the game, it's perfectly fine as it's always a free game.
Now if the &quotremium" content is necessary to unlock parts of the game, then it is not a free game but it's only a shareware/demo and has nothing to do on Armorgames.

Now about the premium, this has appeared for a single reason : only few people donate to the free games developpers, that's the same for "mods" that exist for some games, people download them, play but very few will donate in return.

It's simple, developping a free game (flash or not, open source or not), developping a mod is the same as a work, with the difference is that none (in the majority of the cases as some free games developpers are paid by sponsors) is paying the developers for it.

They just share it with the world only by generosity.
Now working for free, only for the benefit of people, is something difficult when you have a life, a family and must pay all kind of taxes.

That's why donating is a great way to support such generous developers. But the truth is that , out of a very few of them (like the Dwarf Fortress developer by example) there are very few people that are donating.

But most of the time it can be understandable that only few people are donating in return to a developer generosity, because people have their own problems regarding money in a world in which employement is more and more difficult to achieve as there are less and less jobs available each years.

So that's why the &quotremium" content concept have been created, probably the only way all those developers can continue to generously offer their games for free to the world, without continuously putting themselves at risk financially.

It's true that some developers are pushing it too far, as a few of them are sponsorised (they are being paid for making free games), a few of them remove half of their game content and then put them as &quotremium" etc...

But overall, they're not the majority, so don't be angry against people that share their hard work with you for free and make some additional content as premium.
They must eat too.

CptBlunt
CptBlunt
2 posts
Jester

i dont get it...

premium content is a good way for devs to make a little amount of money from a single player. e.g.: kingdom rush you can choose how much you want to pay
(bought premium after i finished 62*, turned it off in a new game - because too easy. ok i kept chewie(design) - a always have to think about bud spencer when his big fists slam enemies into the ground. i love this game so much, just had to buy premium. cant wait for kr2...).

and please dont complain about 2-5$, its like...a pack of cigarettes or a bunch of sodas, and im shure lots of people that complain spend about 50-100$ a weekend getting drunk or...something else.

another issue is the eula/server or dl/... armorgames does it all for you!
and they charge a small percentage from the premium contents revenue, not like other sites 40%.
e.g.: your a dev from europe, the eula has to be in your language, you will have to get an attorney to set it up and let him translate it in english - how without much money?.
and of course it wouldnt be a free flash but a downloadable version.
but then there is the marketing issue...spend, spend, spend and maybe after a few months (if ur lucky) your balance sheet is even.

and shut up about piracy! go on - do it, get an illegal version... you are holding most indie devs back and games may never be released, because the lack of money and motivation.

there is a big difference between if you "have to go to work and build up a great game afterwards/on weekend", or if you "just build up a game and put all your sweat and blood into it".

i _like_ to pay for indie games, there are so much new concepts around the world... and you dont get this from the big companies - the just rerun older games with better graphics, physics,...(ok portal was "new&quot.

i want new games...fast.

i hate browsergames and would never buy &quotremium" when there is absolutely no chance to finish(or replaying a level 50x) the game without &quotremium" - there should be a demo and a download-version.
premium should always be(and in linguistic ways is) a bonus...everything above is a standalone and not suitable for browser-/armorgames.

>> premium = lat. praemium, "bonus, treat, loot" <<

it does not mean a part of the whole... you have the whole, but there is something else you can achieve/get... in (many) different ways.

randumbness
randumbness
58 posts
Nomad

ok im typing this on a 3ds so i will keep this short and to the point premium content is in a way tempting you to buy it basic psycology i mean your saying people have to be motivated or convinced 2 buy premiumcontent i mean think about this for a while

thaboss
thaboss
1,649 posts
Nomad

Premium content is not bad at all. What you are saying makes no sense.

The games are free to play. The premium content is there if you want to support the developer, and help him make a living. You also get some cool stuff for the game you love. Thaboss has though about buying the ExitPass for EP2 because it's such a great game, and he wants to support John.

would you like it if your favorite online game suddenly took away the items you were using and asked for money to get it back no you wouldnt and would try argue reason.

But the don't! They charge for extra stuff that doesn't even really effect the game except for give you more stuff to use, or to unlock more levels for you to play.

premium content is in a way tempting you to buy it basic psycology

Thaboss has never been temped to buy premium content. Never. And where did you learn psycology?

i mean your saying people have to be motivated or convinced 2 buy premiumcontent

Yeah... makes sense, doesn't it.

Could you give some examples on how developers could make money without adding stuff like premium content to their games?
Be glad that ArmorGames doesn't allow games with stuff like Mochi things.

I verify that this game does not contain Mochibot, Mochiads, HeyZap or other 3rd party Micro-Transaction systems.

(from the Submit Games page)

Just remember, you don't have to pay! Youchoose!!!
Guyguy21
Guyguy21
32 posts
Nomad

Maybe if we all clicked on the ads whenever they popped up the creators of the game will get more money.
If the creators get more money, they might make premium free! Or they might reduce the price, alot.

Showing 16-30 of 49