ForumsWEPRThe R Word

110 25038
supermape123
supermape123
431 posts
Nomad

Hello.I have seen a few commercials on TV saying not to say the R word.I would personally like to say to all the people that say this word are rude,disruptive,and have no common decency whatsoever.I have a couple of friends that are like this and are the nicest people I know.I just wanted to say that in hopes people would stop discriminating with harsh name calling.If you follow this just comment and agree.

Thanks,Super

• 110 Replies
Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

Paradox time: If you used retard correctly, the person you said it to would not care, on the basis they're mentally retarded.

Highfire
Highfire
3,026 posts
Nomad

Well, to be fair anyone smart being called something that actually applies to them wouldn't really care. That... "joke", I guess isn't all that accurate - nor appropriate, I might add.

My perception of the word ******* for example is a child born when his / her parents were not in wedlock.
According to that, I'm a ******* - I don't care if people try and insult me with said word, or any others really.

- H

Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

I'm pretty sure thats B******, not R*****, unless you meant the b-word, which would be fine except we're not sure what you're talking about

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

As for Nichodemus' point of view, contrary to your obvious belief, words can hurt. Especially if a fist and foot back them up. Try to have a bit of foresight.

A fist, is not a word? That's physical hurt, don't even bring it up.
Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

Ahem. Did you not understand what I said? Did you? It doesn't seem like it, considering you obviously have no idea what linked violence is.

It is implying that words will work better if your threats can be backed up with their physical application.

In simple speak, threats work when you go through with them. Try to read before you go and argue with it

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

These arguments are great and all, but arguments are usually more sound when you do not attack the person directly, Masterforger.

randumbness
randumbness
58 posts
Nomad

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iSlok6muY0]

Okay watch this whole video and you may gain a viewpoint.
If you use the R word you are an insensitive idiot.
The R word is a slang term for mentally disabled used in a way meant to hurt peoples feelings ( much like a racial slur). Dont ever use the R word or I will slap you ( Yes I have done that to my friends who used the R word).

Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

Sorry. I didn't mean to get carried away.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Ahem. Did you not understand what I said? Did you? It doesn't seem like it, considering you obviously have no idea what linked violence is.

It is implying that words will work better if your threats can be backed up with their physical application.

In simple speak, threats work when you go through with them. Try to read before you go and argue with it

Yes, all that happens, but the main point of contention here is whether words in itself, intrinsically cause harm by themselves. Stand alone. Just the words. Not whether it can be linked to violence etc.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

The R word is a slang term for mentally disabled used in a way meant to hurt peoples feelings ( much like a racial slur). Dont ever use the R word or I will slap you ( Yes I have done that to my friends who used the R word).

Then maybe it depends on context and your mindset. I think my skin is pretty thick so it bounces off. I know the people I interact with don't mean it so why get angry? They're my friends, and we call each other much worse stuff. To each his own.
Moe
Moe
1,715 posts
Blacksmith

I have a viewpoint, and its that I'm glad you aren't my friend. Also I am not an insensitive idiot, even though I use "the R word" a lot.
EnterOrion
EnterOrion
4,223 posts
Nomad

You know what's the 'R word'?

This thread. Seriously. It's that retarded (OMG, I SAID THAT DASTARDLY WORD!)

Because you know what it comes down to at the end of the day? Actual retards aren't bright enough to care or pull weight, and the people who think it's offensive are themselves lordly idiots. Believe me when I say that nothing is going to change, and that no one cares about your opinion. I'm not even trying to be offensive here, it's rather true. You know who is offended by it? Politically correct jacknuts who wouldn't know their rear end from a hole in the ground.

Welcome to America, the land of insensitivity and bologna sandwiches laced with apathy. It's simply not a word that anyone cares about, nor do they care if they hurt anyone's feelings. If they use it in earnest, they're describing someone who is actually mentally retarded or stating that they need something suppressed. If they use it in an offensive way, as in seriously calling somebody a retard who is not, chances are they are intending to hurt that person and don't really care much. If it's used among friends, it's typically a laughing matter and no one is actually thinking about mentally handicapped people nor would that be the first, or second, thing that comes to mind.

Seriously, nobody cares.

And Randumbness, slapping your friends for stating a hardly offensive word is a great way to lose them, or worse, lose your teeth or your nose's perfect good looks.
eddyalex
eddyalex
308 posts
Nomad

I agree Super i mean whats the point??

Epic563
Epic563
166 posts
Nomad

[b]It's pretty mean to be used as an insult. Many people are called "retards" when it's really an awful thing for people who are mentally retarded.

314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

[b]It's pretty mean to be used as an insult. Many people are called "retards" when it's really an awful thing for people who are mentally retarded.

Wow that is lame... I mean that is stupid.... I mean that is gay...No, that is.....Really, what word can you say that doesn't offend someone? Why shouldn't we be able to use it as an insult? Or are we supposed to never say anything negative at any point in time?
Showing 91-105 of 110