Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Mormon Talk

Posted Aug 25, '11 at 11:53am

MostlyToastly

MostlyToastly

102 posts

So, I saw a lot of threads such as "Ask a Muslim", "Ask a Jew", etc. and thought I'd make one of my own. As far as I can tell, Mormonism is one of the most widely misunderstood religions, so I thought I'd clear a few things up. Now, I'm not like a stake president or anything, but I'll do my best to answer your questions. I can't guarantee I have an answer to all of them. I would prefer it if this thread were not to turn into a religious debate. I've tried debating religion before. As far as I can tell, if you took a recording of a theist's arguments and a recording of an atheist's arguments, stuck them together and played them, you'd get approximately the same amount of actual thinking and listening as what goes into the actual debates. That's not to say atheists aren't allowed to ask questions, of course, just that I'm asking you not to turn this into a debate. I would also request that you keep this civil and polite. I will joke about my own religion sometimes, jokes are fine as long as humor, not malice, is the intent. But I will treat your beliefs with respect and expect you to do the same for mine. Thanks. 
So now...go ahead and ask.

Posted Aug 25, '11 at 12:11pm

partydevil

partydevil

5,087 posts

is the story from south park Season-7 Episode-12 any true?

Posted Aug 25, '11 at 12:14pm

MostlyToastly

MostlyToastly

102 posts

is the story from south park Season-7 Episode-12 any true?

I'm afraid I don't watch South Park. I could if I wanted to, but I choose not to because it doesn't seem like the kind of thing I would like. However, I would be happy to answer your question if you would only summarize the episode for me, please?

Posted Aug 25, '11 at 12:29pm

partydevil

partydevil

5,087 posts

iuf youve never watched south park you wont be able to know if you like it or not. anyway here is a direct link to the episode. (maybe you wont like this episode because it targets your believe but the thing whit south park is that they grab evry1 by the balls. so pleace look past it and let me know if they said some real facts about mormen =)
rndirect link to episode

Posted Aug 25, '11 at 12:33pm

MostlyToastly

MostlyToastly

102 posts

iuf youve never watched south park you wont be able to know if you like it or not

I never said I've never watched it, just that I don't watch it now because, to be frank, I don't like it. I saw the episode about the immigrants from the future, and I liked it okay right up until the part the rednecks stripped and started having a gay sex orgy to stop the future from happening.

anyway here is a direct link to the episode. (maybe you wont like this episode because it targets your believe but the thing whit south park is that they grab evry1 by the balls. so pleace look past it and let me know if they said some real facts about mormen =)

It's all right. If I got mad every time someone made fun of the Mor(m)on Church, I would...well, I'm not sure. I guess my head would explode or something.
Thanks for the link. I guess I'll watch the episode, but it will take about half an hour. Are you sure it wouldn't be easier just to summarize what it says for me?

Posted Aug 25, '11 at 12:47pm

WorstSniper

WorstSniper

340 posts

Answer my simple question. What's a Mormon?

Posted Aug 25, '11 at 1:03pm

Kasic

Kasic

5,566 posts

Let me Google that for you...

If you have such a broad question, it's better to just look it up on your own.

Posted Aug 25, '11 at 1:06pm

WorstSniper

WorstSniper

340 posts

If you have such a broad question, it's better to just look it up on your own.

-snaps fingers- I knew someone was going to say that. That actually didn't come to mind when I was posting until later. lol.

Posted Aug 25, '11 at 1:07pm

MostlyToastly

MostlyToastly

102 posts

All right, I finished watching the South Park episode. In a moment, I will point out what they did right and what they did wrong from a Mormon perspective.

Answer my simple question. What's a Mormon?

That's a pretty vague question, if I do say so myself.
But these are the Articles of Faith as stated in the Doctrine and Covenants. Basically, these are what define Mormons.
1) We believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in His son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost.
2) We believe that men will be punished for their own sins, and not for Adam's transgressions.
3) We believe that through the Atonement of Christ, all mankind may be saved, by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel.
4) We believe that the first principles and ordinances of the Gospel are: first, Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ; second, Repentance; third, Baptism by immersion for the remission of sins; fourth, Laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost.
5) We believe that a man must be called of God, by prophecy, and by the laying on of hands by those who are in authority, to preach the Gospel and administer in the ordinances thereof.
6) We believe in the same organization that existed in the Primitive Church, namely, apostles, prophets, pastors, teachers, evangelists, and so forth.
7) We believe in the gift of tongues, prophecy, revelations, visions, healing, interpretation of tongues, and so forth.
8) We believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly; we also believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God.
9) We believe all that God has revealed, all that He does now reveal, and we believe that He will yet reveal many great and important things pertaining to the Kingdom of God.
10) We believe in the literal gathering of Israel and in the restoration of the Ten Tribes; that Zion, the New Jerusalem, will be built upon the American continent; that Christ will reign personally upon the Earth; and, that the Earth will be renewed and receive its paradisiacal glory.
11) We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may.
12) We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law.
13) We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul: we believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things.

-Joseph Smith, Prophet of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

Posted Aug 25, '11 at 1:10pm

Avorne

Avorne

3,224 posts

It seems that obedience is featured even more heavily in Mormonism than in most other denominations of Christianity - do you think that edges it even closer to being a cult? Do you consider yourself part of a cult?

Reply to Mormon Talk

You must be logged in to post a reply!