ForumsGamesKingdom Rush: Frontiers! (Coming Sequel...)

168 81230
2timothy316
2timothy316
109 posts
Nomad

So I'm sure most people have heard one way or another of the second Kingdom Rush game coming out.

This discussion is for discussing that game. What would be some of the things you'd like to see in the new game? What do you want to see come back from the first game? What would you like changed? How excited are you that we're going to soon be seeing the second Kingdom Rush game?

As for myself, I'm hoping that the Sequel maintains the purity of the first one. I liked the simple graphics and gameplay. I liked how the maps were interactive (killing the sheep, catching fish, and activating windmills). Seeing that again would be a treat. I'm also hoping that the towers from the first game come back in the second one. Nothing would be more devastating than to see the towers have a complete makeover. I highly doubt it would happen, but still... Lastly, I want them to keep the upgrade tree. I most definitely liked the style of the star upgrades. I thought they were very well thought out and developed, and I would like to see the tree with its same or very similar cleverness of build.

Things I want changed? I might be secretly hoping for maybe a different kind of tower, but if that doesn't happen, I'd still be happy. I would want the levels to be a little bit longer perhaps. It seemed like I would just be hitting my stride in the tower building process and then it would be over, which was kind of disappointing. So if they would add longer levels or maybe add an "Endless" mode, I would thoroughly enjoy the game all the more.

What do you all think?

• 168 Replies
metalwill
metalwill
147 posts
Shepherd

I haven't heard about a sequel (but now that I look, Ironhide Games did announce it lol). I loved the first one for many of the reasons that you did. The subtle things like being able to interact with the different things on the map is a cool feature that you never see in games. I think it adds a little bit of fun and takes out a little bit of the redundancy of wave based games.

I love me a good TD and the first Kingdom Rush was one of the best TD type games I've played. I'd honestly be happy if the second one was more of a level pack instead of a full blown sequel.

metalwill
metalwill
147 posts
Shepherd

Sorry for the double post, but this is the statement from Ironhide Game Studio:

"We are very glad to announce that development of a Kingdom Rush sequel has started.

The sequel will have all the classic features of Kingdom Rush and add new terrains, new towers, new enemies, boss fights, etc!

More info on the coming days! Stay tuned! (Meanwhile you can check the Dev faq!)

Also the Official Kingdom Rush website has been launched today. Head to www.kingdomrush.com for all things Kingdom Rush! "

So it looks pretty promising! =D

kingofwar1234
kingofwar1234
605 posts
Peasant

Yes, there is as a matter in fact a sequel for kingdom rush coming out.... on their website for kingdom rush, it states that a new kingdom rush will be out in 5-7 months.

2timothy316
2timothy316
109 posts
Nomad

Metalwill: Hey thanks, for the Ironhide Game Studio quote. I hadn't seen that yet, but that's really insightful. And yeah, I think a level pack would be better than a full scale sequel too. So long as there's enough gameplay so that I can't beat it in a single afternoon.

Kingofwar1234: Mhm. Most games of the flash species take about that long to program and debug. I figure they'll probably want to do some private beta testing before they release it to the public because of the high expectations.

Thedynastking
Thedynastking
10 posts
Peasant

Kingdom rush redefined TD games for me. Normally I am not a fan of TD games just because there are so many of them and they lack any originality. This game combined what makes tower defense games fun, but it was unique in i';s execution. It balanced effort with reward perfectly. If you got three stars on a level you were rewarded with more stars to get better upgrades, making it easier to succeed later, without eliminating the difficulty curve. The witty one liners and the excellent tower progression was perfect, and no one particular level was too easy or impossible hard.

I think a sequel will take the map interaction to a new level, where experimentation with different map elements yields different rewards. Also, iw ould like to see some character development. the story of KR1 was okay, as you defeated the enemies the king entrusted you with more gold and more important missions, but i didn;t really care about my soldiers or the general in command. I would like to see a more personalized story.

That is all.

rawwr123
rawwr123
288 posts
Nomad

I think wut would make the 2nd one even better for me would be endless mode, and the longer u last the better ur score is and he could put a highscore feature for it, it would be nice if therer was some way to show how awsome u r at the game

2timothy316
2timothy316
109 posts
Nomad

Thedynastking: I like the idea of a personalized story, but for a tower defense of that forte, how would one incorporate a good story? Thinking of anything in specific? I honestly would have no idea myself.

Rawwr123: Oh! A leaderboard! I definitely didn't think about that, but that's one of the best ideas for KR2 I've heard. Do you think it should just be for endless mode? Or for the story as well? I think it would be limited to endless mode, but I don't know. Unless TD's (like Kingdom Rush, I suppose) are very well built, players can typically build a force to maximum and then just leave it on an open browser overnight. It would make for some pretty high scores...

Thedynastking
Thedynastking
10 posts
Peasant

ever play age of war? i got my elitest soldiers on a steady auto deploy and had all my base defenses maxed and then i left in on for six hours and came back later and i hadn;t died yet =P

visitlegend
visitlegend
398 posts
Nomad

ever play age of war

Well that came out like 2 years ago, so its really old =\\.
But it is still a good game.

-Legend
2timothy316
2timothy316
109 posts
Nomad

No I haven't but that's about the concept. I played an older Miniclip game called Viking Defense, and it was pretty much the same thing.

I think the best way to avoid such an event (maxed, unstoppable defense making top scores) would be to either eliminate endless mode, leaderboards, or strong towers and easy waves. I don't think I want any of those to go though.

epicazeroth
epicazeroth
7 posts
Nomad

I personally think making a naval battle level would be one of the best possible features. Maybe you could fight a sea monster like the one that you see destroy ships on the map. Also, I'd like to fight whatever is in "Sarelgz Lair".

epicazeroth
epicazeroth
7 posts
Nomad

I'd also like to maybe have dwarves as soldiers and have a Hammerhold level. Sorry to double-post.

kingofwar1234
kingofwar1234
605 posts
Peasant

I personally think making a naval battle level would be one of the best possible features. Maybe you could fight a sea monster like the one that you see destroy ships on the map. Also, I'd like to fight whatever is in "Sarelgz Lair".

Well epic... The new game is gonna be a whole new map entirely(at least i think so).... As well as everything else... There are gonna be new units, abilitys and maps added to the game.
I'd also like to maybe have dwarves as soldiers and have a Hammerhold level. Sorry to double-post.

Same as above
kingofwar1234
kingofwar1234
605 posts
Peasant

Kingofwar1234: Mhm. Most games of the flash species take about that long to program and debug. I figure they'll probably want to do some private beta testing before they release it to the public because of the high expectations.

Well, they already have the engine develuped from the last game, so it'll be shorter than the last one to make(i imagine).
visitlegend
visitlegend
398 posts
Nomad

Kindom rush is probably the best TD ive ever played.In between
Gemcraft TD and Vikings defence.

-Legend

Showing 1-15 of 168