ForumsGamesMaster's Minecraft Redstone Creations

57 27573
master565
master565
4,107 posts
Nomad

Over the last week or so, I've constructed an (almost) fully operational 3-bit calculator in Minecraft. It can currently add, subtract, and multiply, and, when i get around to making it, divide.

I've decided to mark up a cartograph for you guys to help you understand it.

http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/3339/calculatorcartograph.jpg

(if that's to big, go here)

1: This is where you and the console are, reading the instructions is suggested. This is the only place you need to be.

2: This is the seven segment hexadecimal display. Unfortunately, it only works for addition and subtraction, it has no support for multiplication, you will have to use the binary display for that.

3: An older version of the display. It works faster then the other one because it closer to the circuits, but it's no where near the console.

4: This is the binary to hexadecimal converter. It takes the binary answers and makes them usable for the hexadecimal display.

5: The addition station. Adds your numbers together.

6: The subtraction station. Subtracts your numbers.

7: The multiplication station. Multiplies your numbers.

8: A more powerful calculator i built that only does addition and only displays it in binary. You can check it out if you want, i used a fly mod to get there.

Download link

Just download, unzip, and place in your saves folder.

Problem solutions

1: If it doesn't work at all when you first open it, flip all the switches on then off. The redstone sometimes glitches up with MCedit and this usually fixes it.

2: Read the instructions in the map, you may be operating it wrong.

3: The seven segment display is hexadecimal, so when it comes up as A, B, C, D, E, or F, it's not a glitch.

Any problems, glitches, ect, just ask me. And for the third time this post, read the instructions in the map.

• 57 Replies
darthdave9
darthdave9
110 posts
Nomad

*more facepalm*
Do you even read other people's posts? IT WAS FUN FOR HIM TO BUILD. There is also no point in playing on armorgames, but it is funPr

master565
master565
4,107 posts
Nomad

I managed to make the binary converter 95% smaller. Due to a lot of failed planning and building, it's hardly more efficient, but it takes up a lot less room.

We went from this
http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg98/scaled.php?server=98&filename=picture1hnz.png&res=medium

to this
http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg714/scaled.php?server=714&filename=picture3ocu.png&res=medium

I'm not going to bother uploading an updated map since I'm fairly certain none of you actually opened it, and if anyone one did, they probably don't care enough to redownload it.

Like Zoey Im Also Seeing No Point In The Calc

im still confused wats the point of the calc... seems pointless

Kinda pointless but still cool

What's the point of your existence? Can't figure it out? Okay, might as well not have any of you exist. Begone pointless beings.
master565
master565
4,107 posts
Nomad

I'm in the middle of my next super secret project (let's see who can guess what it is)

http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/3548/picture7w.jpg

I'll give you a hint, it doesn't rhyme with orange.

Blkasp
Blkasp
1,308 posts
Nomad

Some of those items I have never seen before. Mod?

Also, I will guess Vending machine :P

master565
master565
4,107 posts
Nomad

Some of those items I have never seen before. Mod?

Nope, texture pack.

Also, I will guess Vending machine :P

Nope, i gill you another hint, it doesn't use anything i don't have in my inventory (except for buttons).
Blkasp
Blkasp
1,308 posts
Nomad

Nope, i gill you another hint, it doesn't use anything i don't have in my inventory (except for buttons).

Are the green looking things buttons?
afcmitchell
afcmitchell
66 posts
Blacksmith

Real nice job dude! I am having an IT course, it involves gates too. This is way to complicated for me though! Again, great job!

master565
master565
4,107 posts
Nomad

Are the green looking things buttons?

Torches

Real nice job dude! I am having an IT course, it involves gates too. This is way to complicated for me though! Again, great job!

You'll figure it out, I never took a course, i just had a general knowledge of programming and computers, and then i just started reading up on binary and circuitry online, especially in minecraft.
master565
master565
4,107 posts
Nomad

Torches

I meant to say redstone torches.
master565
master565
4,107 posts
Nomad

Well, out of the one person that guessed, nobody got it right, so here it is.

RANDOM ADDITION QUESTION MACHINE

(note: I haven't tried it in 1.8 yet, but i don't see why it shouldn't work)

All this machine basically does, is gives you 2 numbers, and you have to press the button that correct answer. This is the second version of the machine, the first version was much slower, and i know a few ways to make the next version a lot faster.

HOW TO USE IT

1: Press the button that says "Push once to start" ONCE AND ONLY ONCE then wait a few seconds.
2: Press the button that says "new question" once, and wait for the torches on both sides of the display to light up (this can take a few seconds to happen)
3: Look at the sign above the torch to find out the number it represents
4: Add up the numbers, then look to your right, and press the button with the correct answer on the sign above it.
5: If the music blocks go off, you go it right. If nothing happens, you got it wrong.

A few very important things to note

1) The problem is, that redstone clocks that use repeaters glitch up when you close and reopen a map. This thing relies pretty much entirely off these clocks, so it needs them running correctly. If you press the start button more then once, it sends two pulses into the clocks, which will mess it up.

2) The next even larger problem, is that once again, because the clocks glitch up, this map kind of stops working after you go out of it once. The way to fix this, is slightly annoying. Either...

a) Keep a copy of the map and keep using the original version
b) Go to the corrodinate listed below, and break and place redstone until the clock is completely off.

X: -176 Z: -91
X: -108 Z: -91
X: -121 Y:124 Z: -111
X: -167 Y: 124 Z: -111

3) Yes, this is built on the same map as the calculator.

master565
master565
4,107 posts
Nomad

Oops, forgot the download link :b

Download

Darkroot
Darkroot
2,763 posts
Peasant

Isn't it kinda tedious working with circuitry in minecraft? I couldn't do it in minecraft, I prefer my normal software emulation.

Also how do the displays working minecraft?

master565
master565
4,107 posts
Nomad

Isn't it kinda tedious working with circuitry in minecraft? I couldn't do it in minecraft, I prefer my normal software emulation.

Can you link me to a good emulator? I'd like to try it in a more conventual way. I just enjoy work because it's more of a challenge working with limitations (though i've never tried it outside of minecraft so I'm not sure it's any easier). Also, it's really awesome working in a 3D environment, it's like working in the most immersive program ever.

Also how do the displays working minecraft?

Which type? The 7-segment display or just a simple torch display?
Darkroot
Darkroot
2,763 posts
Peasant

Can you link me to a good emulator?

Not really, the software my University uses is expensive and not in high demand. It's called LogicWorks it's both convoluted and very difficult to use.

I'd like to try it in a more conventional way. I just enjoy work because it's more of a challenge working with limitations (though I've never tried it outside of minecraft so I'm not sure it's any easier).

Well the only limitation is knowledge and the discrete math behind some of the logic. An entry level computer designs books would be able to show you throw the basic stuff. But in reality you need a through Discrete math course to get into the harder stuff.

Also, it's really awesome working in a 3D environment, it's like working in the most immersive program ever.

Well I prefer quick and efficient system which would be 2D than a 3D game environment myself. Especially if you just in the process of creating something.

Which type? The 7-segment display or just a simple torch display?

Both really.
master565
master565
4,107 posts
Nomad

Both really.

Well, the binary torch display for the calculator was easy, the answer is already outputted as binary so i lead a wire into a block with a torch on it (the wire may need to be inverted) and then put a sign above it saying which bit the torch is representing. The torch display for the random equation machine was slightly different but not much more complicated. If you look at the middle of the picture i posted on the second page, i have all the wires laid out next to each other, leading into the answer decoder. Before it gets into the decoder, i just add some wire off the line and run it into the torch display like i did before. I have some signs there to remind me which wire represents which number.

The seven segment display is a bit more complicated.

First, we start off with just building exactly what the display looks like (i.e. seven segments of 2 or 3 torches (two is much simpler)). Then, using a mess of redstone, we run wire into them.

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg97/scaled.php?server=97&filename=pic1gy.jpg&res=medium

Then, with even more of a mess of redstone, we connect those wires into groups (so that each segment can be powered by 1 torch instead of 3) and then bring these wires down to the ground.

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg14/scaled.php?server=14&filename=pic2ne.jpg&res=medium

So now we have 7 wires running across the ground. Each of these wires correspond to a different segment of the display. When we power one of these wires, the segment it's connected two lights up. So after a signal comes out of the binary to hexadecimal converter, it puts a signal into this

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg27/scaled.php?server=27&filename=pic3av.jpg&res=medium

I have 15 of these (one for every hexadecimal value). The wires running under it are connected to each segment of the display. Because the power is on, it's inverting each of those torches to the off state. What each one does, is when the power goes off (meaning that number was selected) it let's those torches turn on. When those torches go on, it powers the wires, which go on to power each segment they're connected to. This one that's on happens to be F i believe.
Showing 16-30 of 57